Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #43

Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I love it when people refuse to shop at Walmart. That is one less person in line when we shop there. I own small commercial strip centers, my tenants and our traffic is dependent on what Walmart generates. There are a LOT of small business that thrive because Walmart is there, and I am one of them. Ever see a vacant shopping center in a Walmart neighborhood? Look at a closed or moved Walmart and look at the number of vacant building surrounding that location.
I love it too. I agree about the economic benefits that surround a Walmart also. New businesses are being built virtually every day around our Walmart. We're just a small suburb (15,000 population 2000 census) of Des Moines, yet we are on a roll. Walmart started it all by building out here when there wasn't anything here.

Our new $5 billion Facebook data center is half done and BassPro just opened up. They are both less than a mile from our Walmart. New restaurants, motels, subdivisions, etc. Nice, well paying jobs. All of our commercial strip shopping centers around Walmart are full and they are building more. I could go on and on but you get the idea.

Over-nighting at the Marinette, Wisconsin Walmart last summer after stocking up on lots of supplies (we filled up with their gas before we left also):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5854.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	61017  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2014, 09:13 PM   #44
We live in the "Greenhouse Capital" of Western Canada where we have literally hundreds maybe thousands of acres under glass and all the major supermarket chains offer locally grown produce year round - even Costco does - but not Walmart, their produce comes thousands of miles away from Mexico or Chile and anyone knows where the quality goes on these longs journeys.
And don't be fooled by the "everyday low price", I don't think they are cheap.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:31 PM   #45
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you don't like WalMart, don't shop there. Just don't tell me where I can or should shop. It is my money to spend in the manner I choose.

I don't like McDonalds, JC Penny and a few other chains. You want to spend your money there, feel free.
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

Old 04-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
There is nothing for nothing in this world. If some are "saving" money there, someone somewhere else is paying for those savings such as the underpaid WM workers and those taxpayers subsidizing them.
Do Walmart employees make less than retail workers in other stores? I sincerely doubt it. Lower-level positions in any retail businesses have never been known for benefits nor high wages. Likewise, they are no more "taxpayer subsidized" than any other entry-level workers. Does anyone believe that a stocker at a mom-n-pop grocery makes a good salary and gets benefits?? Those stores usually charge higher prices, but the workers don't benefit from it.

As for Walmart's profits...Capitalism works.

I don't understand the hatred for Walmart, an American success story. If I "hate" something, I simply don't support it. If people don't want to shop there...fine. I hope those "haters" aren't over-nighting in their parking lots.

I do shop there and I will continue to do so.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

Old 04-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #47
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
If you don't like WalMart, don't shop there. Just don't tell me where I can or should shop. It is my money to spend in the manner I choose.

I don't like McDonalds, JC Penny and a few other chains. You want to spend your money there, feel free.
absolutely agree. freedom to choose how to spend ones money.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
Nope, I have not, but I see half of the Main Street stores closed because walmart built out on the highway, and not just in our town but many small towns in Minnesota.

Our daughter is a pharmacy technician at a somewhat locally owned grocery store, she applied at walmart for the same position, they offered her a full time job for a lot less than she is making working part time, she would make less money working full time at walmart.
You forgot the last line of the post, move a Walmart and all of the other business will follow. That was my point, small business follow Walmart...simple economics, Walmart draws traffic and people and business need that. "Look at a closed or moved Walmart and look at the number of vacant building surrounding that location."

If your daughter is a good pharmacy tech, she is welcome in FL where she can just about name her salary. I think 1/2 of MN moved here this winter with more to follow and they all need their prescriptions filled.
Chuck in SW FL
A "Classic" 2014 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 04-20-2014, 11:35 PM   #49

Entegra Owners Club
It seems to me that this thread has virtually no value other than providing a platform for political views and is headed towards increasingly negative views that have nothing to do with RVing. It would seem that closure might be the most appropriate future direction. JMHO
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
Old 04-20-2014, 11:46 PM   #50
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With that said and some of the attitudes and opinions boiling to the top it may well be the best time to say "Good Night Gracie"

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
Closed Thread