Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #15

Kurtsara,

I would encourage you to vote with your wallet.

Unfortunately, my annual pay increases do not keep up with the rising costs of fuel, food, goods and services so I find the best prices I can. It's usually, but not always, Walmart.

You might also check out the oppressive tax structure that makes it impossible for small businesses to compete with large ones. You can't blame their demise solely on Walmart.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2014, 06:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Many athletes make more than WalMart's CEO. Many movie stars also make more than the WalMart CEO. Johnny Depp was paid 20 million for each of his last 3 movies, all flops. Do athletes and movie stars salaries bother you?

WalMart's CEO makes 779 times more than their average worker, Starbucks CEO makes 1,096 times more than their average worker. Where is all the hatred for Starbucks??
I will not go to any sports events and have not been to a movie in about 15 years, we don't rent movies because we do not have a vcr or dvd player.

I don't drink coffee so have never been in a coffee shop.

If you don't mind subsidizing walmart workers health, care keep shopping there, I choose not to.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:13 AM   #17

My small town once had three department stores, a G C Murphy, a W T Grant and an Outdoor Store that my Dad ran. They all closed over forty years ago and Walmart had nothing to do with it. Many store fronts in my town have been empty for many years and Walmart had nothing to do with it. Americans have become a mobile society, willing to drive farther for more variety and better prices.

We should all shop locally when we can, and definitely buy MADE IN AMERICA whenever possible but blaming any one, American owned business is not helpful.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am not a big fan of WalMart but I just don't understand the visceral hatred for them.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
I will not go to any sports events and have not been to a movie in about 15 years, we don't rent movies because we do not have a vcr or dvd player.

I don't drink coffee so have never been in a coffee shop.

If you don't mind subsidizing walmart workers health, care keep shopping there, I choose not to.
I wish everyone could make $100k a year but then that would become the new poverty level. There is no easy fix but in the interim , I shop at Wally World.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
Don't forget these facts also,

11. The CEO of Wal-Mart makes more in a single hour than a full-time Wal-Mart associate makes in an entire year.

12. Tens of thousands of Wal-Mart employees and their children are enrolled in Medicaid and are dependent on the government for healthcare.

13. Between 2001 and 2007, the value of products that Wal-Mart imported from China grew from $9 billion to $27 billion.

14. Between 2001 and 2007, the value of products that Wal-Mart imported from China grew from $9 billion to $27 billion.

15. The combined net worth of six members of the Walton family is roughly equal to the combined net worth of the poorest 30 percent of all Americans.

16. All over the country, independent retailers are going out of business because they cannot compete with Wal-Mart and their super cheap Chinese products. Often communities will give Wal-Mart huge tax breaks just to move in to their areas. But what many communities don't take into account is that the introduction of a Wal-Mart is often absolutely devastating to small businesses....

17. When we buy stuff made by people working for slave labor wages in China, we destroy good paying American jobs and we make America poorer.

18. Wal-Mart often tells one thing to the public and then does another thing in private. Sadly, the truth is that Wal-Mart does not care about U.S. manufacturing jobs. Wal-Mart just wants to get products as cheaply as they possibly can, and most of the time that means getting them from China.

19. Unfortunately, the vast wealth that Wal-Mart is sucking out of our communities is not put back into our communities. The profits are funneled out to Wal-Mart executives and shareholders. We may enjoy the low prices, but very little of the money that we give to Wal-Mart gets recycled in our local areas.

20. In the old days, you could actually support a family selling electronics or running a general store. But you can't support a family working at Wal-Mart. The vast majority of the jobs that Wal-Mart creates are very low paying. Large numbers of Wal-Mart employees are actually on welfare, and this is part of the reason why we have seen such an explosion in the number of the working poor in America.

21. The path that America is headed on today is only going to end in complete and total disaster. We are being transformed from a wealthy nation into a poor nation. In the end, we will be dominated by a very tiny elite and everyone else will either be among the working poor or will be totally dependent on the government.

22. Our system is supposed to be about open, honest competition. But that is not what Wal-Mart is about. Wal-Mart is about crushing small businesses and manufacturers here in America and getting us all to buy their super cheap Chinese-made goods.

23. The retailer has a clear policy for suppliers: On basic products that don't change, the price Wal-Mart will pay, and will charge shoppers, must drop year after year. But what almost no one outside the world of Wal-Mart and its 21,000 suppliers knows is the high cost of those low prices. Wal-Mart has the power to squeeze profit-killing concessions from vendors. To survive in the face of its pricing demands, makers of everything from bras to bicycles to blue jeans have had to lay off employees and close U.S. plants in favor of outsourcing products from overseas.

I could go on and on, but I will stop. I also will not walk in the door of a walmart or sams club, one opened a couple years ago in the small town I live in and have never seen the inside of it.
I agree with everything you've said. Sadly, I have to admit that we trade regularly at Sams and Wal-Mart.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So tell me why I should pay more for exact same products I buy at WalMart (ammo, oil, filters) at another store?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Yesterday, I bought a detailing product in the auto section at WalMart (Maguire's and I didn't look where it was produced, but if it is in China, well that's an interesting name). It was $8.67. The exact same product at AutoZone was $11.99 and $11.49 at another auto parts store down the street.

That's about 25% cheaper w/o the calculator.

I think this is a clear example of where and why I might shop.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jablair View Post
Ah yes! There is so much wrong with the above two post. But I don't come here for the political/philosophical BS. So I will just have to ignore.
Quite true...ignore is the answer.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra1 View Post
I wish everyone could make $100k a year but then that would become the new poverty level. There is no easy fix but in the interim , I shop at Wally World.
I made about $55,000 last year, I get by just fine not going there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
So tell me why I should pay more for exact same products I buy at WalMart (ammo, oil, filters) at another store?
Those items are probably the same, but look at more major items like tv's, tools, any electronics are not the same, they look the same but the model number is slightly different because the item is just made for walmart and it is made cheaper. You ever wonder why you can't find dewalt stuff at a Menards, Menards wanted dewalt to make cheaper tools to sell at there stores for a certain price point, dewalt said no, they will not make cheap tools so Menards said get your stuff out of there stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Yesterday, I bought a detailing product in the auto section at WalMart (Maguire's and I didn't look where it was produced, but if it is in China, well that's an interesting name). It was $8.67. The exact same product at AutoZone was $11.99 and $11.49 at another auto parts store down the street.

That's about 25% cheaper w/o the calculator.

I think this is a clear example of where and why I might shop.
The same stuff is cheaper at walmart because the Autozone employee most likely has health insurance and is paid higher wages than most walmart employees.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
works for me. will truly be a one stop get all. very convenient, and with their hrs. everyone gets to choose their own time schedule.
Not true. At least not here in TN. And with the billions in profit WM makes, the taxpayers have to subsidize their employees because they can't live on what WM pays. I mean, who can live on $8 or $9 an hour before taxes?
Old 04-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
And then you have those 'chanting' to raise the minimum wage, but even they don't 'practice what they preach'.
Group seeking $15 minimum wage doesn't start their workers at $15 an hour - The Dori Monson Show - KIRORadio.com
Old 04-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #27

It isn't just Walmart that has low starting wages of 8-9 dollars an hour. It is called entry level wages. One would hope that they would have enough sense to improve themselves. Start by coming to work, then coming to work on time, not abusing sick days. Go back to school and improve your education so you qualify for a better paying job. It takes a little effort to better themselves but some aren't interested in that so they are stuck. I worked for a man who told me he was lucky to make it out of high school but when I worked for him he had just retired as the #2 man in the worlds largest privately held corporation (no college degree). He was an extremely smart business man.

Walmart and other companies in the service sector are providing income for people that aren't qualified for higher level positions. A lot of them are school dropouts, people that have had scrapes with the law, on and on. I asked a supervisor of a company I worked for if there was anyone in the production area that had never been in jail. He thought a minute and said all of them had been in trouble with the law an some time. Without companies like Walmart they would be starving.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe most of the hatred of WalMart stems from their anti union stance. Some of it is hatred for the "rich" (certain rich people are OK, some are not??). The vast majority of the goods (no matter the store) purchased in the US are from another Country so that is a paper tiger. I don't envy any person for having more than I do.

Closed Thread