Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Let's avoid stepping into the area of general political comment please.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #30
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Not true. At least not here in TN. And with the billions in profit WM makes, the taxpayers have to subsidize their employees because they can't live on what WM pays. I mean, who can live on $8 or $9 an hour before taxes?
what parts not true?
Old 04-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Almost ALL retail store employees are part time, which allows the stores to maintain a workforce without paying full time benefits. This is not exclusive to Walmart and has been the generally-accepted practice for decades.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Some things I didn't know about Wal-Mart!
Sorry to burst yer bubble, but...do you realize that these "facts" are at least six years old? They rung my bell as having been sent in one of those chain e-mails from my Mother in law way back when so I went lookin' and...bingo!

While found to be (substantially) true by good ol' Snopes back in 2006, one has to wonder about how things stack up now.

Has absolutely nothing changed EXCEPT that most of the workers now speak English, unlike as was- er- "reported" back in 2008?

Here quoting statistic #6 , then and now:

Quote:
(Snopes copy, 2006) : 5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer. And most can't speak English.

(O.P. post, this thread) : 5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people, is the world's largest private employer, and most speak English.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #33

Here are some updated facts as of Feb., 2014:

"Walmart employs 2.2 million associates around the world -- 1.3 million in the U.S. alone. About 75% of Walmart's store management teams started as hourly associates, and they earn between $50,000 and $170,000 a year — similar to what firefighters, accountants, and even doctors make. Every year, Walmart promotes about 160,000 people to jobs with more responsibility and higher pay."

"In 2012, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation gave more than $1 billion in cash and in-kind contributions around the world. In addition, Walmart, Sam’s Club and Logistics associates volunteered more than 2.2 million hours, generating $18 million to U.S. nonprofits."

"Walmart is working toward three aspirational sustainability goals: to be supplied 100% by renewable energy, to create zero waste and to sell products that sustain people and the environment."

"Walmart has committed $2 billion to fight hunger in the U.S. Walmart is making food healthier and healthier food more affordable. And Walmart is using it's size and scale to help support farmers and their communities to strengthen the global food supply chain."

"Through Walmart's Global Women's Economic Empowerment Initiative, Walmart has set goals and are taking practical steps to help change the lives of countless women around the world by 2016. In the U.S., Walmart will source $20 billion from women-owned businesses. Globally, Walmart will double it's sourcing from women-owned businesses in every market."

Walmart is a publicly owned company with 52% of the company owned by shareholders.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:49 PM   #34

Walmart has done more to improve the standard of living of people around the world by bringing more affordable products to the market place than all of the government assistance progrms.

How many of the Walmart haters went to another dealer for their RV because the first price was too low???
Old 04-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
In the early 1990's a few of my coworkers got together and formed a small investment club. We'd do a lot of research and present a proposal to our group of ten or so members to consider investing in stock. At that time one of the proposals was to invest in Walmart and in part of the research we found that Walmart was giving local communities the opportunity to make products. At that time there was a company somewhere in the deep south (Alabama ?) that would make shirts for less than the overseas competition. I have no idea if that policy is still in place but it surprised all of us in the little group - like everyone else we thought all the clothing came from out of the US. (Yes, we made a few dollars on Walmart stock)

About the same time period I took an older friend of my wife to a Walmart. The lady had never been in a Walmart bcause she didn't buy cheap things. I don't remember the product - maybe toothpase - but she said she'd been paying a dollar more at a major store so she became a believer in Walmart.

I guess there will always be a Walmart bashing but Walmart does sell items that are necessary for survival most often for less $$ than many other stores and if you are financially limited the lower prices is a good thing. Just my opinion.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #36

Quote:
=Cobra1;2018015... I shop at Wally World...
We do also but don't agree with how they do business. So few are getting obscenely rich on the backs of the underpaid and the taxpayers who make it possible. So WM will, without conscience, continue on as usual.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I guess there will always be a Walmart bashing but Walmart does sell items that are necessary for survival most often for less $$ than many other stores and if you are financially limited the lower prices is a good thing. Just my opinion.
There is nothing for nothing in this world. If some are "saving" money there, someone somewhere else is paying for those savings such as the underpaid WM workers and those taxpayers subsidizing them.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Here are some updated facts as of Feb., 2014:

"Walmart employs 2.2 million associates around the world -- 1.3 million in the U.S. alone. About 75% of Walmart's store management teams started as hourly associates, and they earn between $50,000 and $170,000 a year — similar to what firefighters, accountants, and even doctors make. Every year, Walmart promotes about 160,000 people to jobs with more responsibility and higher pay."
Then why aren't they paying their associates a living wage and giving them benefits? Can anyone actually live on the minimum wage or slightly above it? They apparently can well afford to pay higher wages without endangering themselves financially by still making billions in profit.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
I love it when people refuse to shop at Walmart. That is one less person in line when we shop there. I own small commercial strip centers, my tenants and our traffic is dependent on what Walmart generates. There are a LOT of small business that thrive because Walmart is there, and I am one of them. Ever see a vacant shopping center in a Walmart neighborhood? Look at a closed or moved Walmart and look at the number of vacant building surrounding that location.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
Old 04-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I love it when people refuse to shop at Walmart. That is one less person in line when we shop there. I own small commercial strip centers, my tenants and our traffic is dependent on what Walmart generates. There are a LOT of small business that thrive because Walmart is there, and I am one of them. Ever see a vacant shopping ceter in a Walmart neighborhood?

+1
"like"
Old 04-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I love it when people refuse to shop at Walmart. That is one less person in line when we shop there. I own small commercial strip centers, my tenants and our traffic is dependent on what Walmart generates. There are a LOT of small business that thrive because Walmart is there, and I am one of them. Ever see a vacant shopping ceter in a Walmart neighborhood?
Nope, I have not, but I see half of the Main Street stores closed because walmart built out on the highway, and not just in our town but many small towns in Minnesota.

Our daughter is a pharmacy technician at a somewhat locally owned grocery store, she applied at walmart for the same position, they offered her a full time job for a lot less than she is making working part time, she would make less money working full time at walmart.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Main street in my home town closed long before WalMart ever came to town. JC
Penny's and Montgomery Wards moved from down town to build larger stores. Many of the small stores moved with them. Try another argument.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Closed Thread