Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrantz View Post
It has nothing to do with lawyers and everything to do with protecting people. Don't attempt to fight someone who pulls a gun. Back off and let him go. A laptop is not worth risking anyone's life or health. Leave it for law enforcement. This wasn't a crazed gunman shooting up the store. It was a shoplifter.

In this case they subdued the gunman. What if the gun had gone off in the struggle and someone has been seriously injured or killed. The headline would have been "WalMart Employee Killed While Attacking Armed Shoplifter".
Heros act, Others rationalize.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #16

Good quote Chuck!
These days lawyers and insurance companies rule/dictate policy and procedures. The insurance company would much rather replace a stolen laptop than go to court over anything= financial risk management.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Missing the point.... The guy already had a hostage AND he refused to leave.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wall mart is the one company most likely to be sued in labor court, and they are the one most likely to LOOSE.. Used to be the State of Michigan had that "most likely to loose" crown but wall mart took it away from them.

This is the primary reason whey I do not like shopping wall mart and would not if I could afford to shop elsewhere.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to take the opposit side of this. If I have a policy that says not to interveen in a situation like this I would terminate them also. There is no excuse for jepordizing life and limb for anything in the store. I would give them thanks for their service and assist in any way I could to find them new empoyment.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I have to take the opposit side of this. If I have a policy that says not to interveen in a situation like this I would terminate them also. There is no excuse for jepordizing life and limb for anything in the store. I would give them thanks for their service and assist in any way I could to find them new empoyment.
Like I said before, HEROS ACT, OTHERS RATIONALIZE
Old 02-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #21

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrantz View Post
It has nothing to do with lawyers and everything to do with protecting people. Don't attempt to fight someone who pulls a gun. Back off and let him go. A laptop is not worth risking anyone's life or health. Leave it for law enforcement. This wasn't a crazed gunman shooting up the store. It was a shoplifter.

In this case they subdued the gunman. What if the gun had gone off in the struggle and someone has been seriously injured or killed. The headline would have been "WalMart Employee Killed While Attacking Armed Shoplifter".
I had a lengthy response written but I'll leave it at this.

Rolling over and playing dead for criminals is going to be one of the downfalls of America. We didn't use to stand for it and shouldn't today. Yes he had a gun and yes he only had a laptop but you know what? He has to be stopped sometime, if he'll do that over a laptop then what will he do for a woman's $1000 watch? Over valuables in their house? For some teenage girls car?

But we're kinder and gentler and frankly are easily scared into a corner by some idiot whether it's here or from some guy in a cave. All because someone might get hurt or killed. Well guess what? Eventually someone will get hurt or killed by him. Better off stopped now than allowed to walk knowing all he has to do is bring the gun next time.

I applaud them for doing the right thing.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #22

Thomas Jefferson Quote

Thomas Jefferson said anyone not willing to fight for his freedom is not worth fighting for.

May I give my opinion that the same principal applies here. Anyone that is unwilling to stop a jerk trying to hurt someone should not complain when they get hurt by one of these idiots.

Policeman can not be everywhere and protect most people more than a small percentage of the time.

We the people better start doing something besides thinking letting them run is the thing to do. A person with a gun stealing a couple hundred dollar item may not just steal and run. He may go to shooting when he thinks he is in danger of being caught.

With that said, I had a lot rather get shot trying to stop a jerk with a gun than get shot because everyone thinks it is the police's job and let's them do whatever they wish.

Just my two cents worth and it isn't worth that to most people.

rops
rops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not Thomas Jefferson, but someone once said " Don't bring a knife to a gunfight". Somethings are just not worth the risk of getting shot over. Not saying criminal actions by people are right, just that there are different degrees of criminality, stealing a laptop computer, in my opinion, does not warrent putting a human life in jeopardy. An unarmed thief, certainly should be detained and held for the proper authorities, but not a thief that is armed with a gun. Just my opinion in this matter, your may be different, and you are certainly entitled to it.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Did no one read the articles out there??? The guy took a gun out, grabbed an employee put a gun to his head and REFUSED TO LEAVE OR DO ANYTHING ELSE. How is it 'not a crazed gunman'? If you tell the guy he can go without any trouble and he REFUSES to do so, how is that 'not letting him go'??? Just HOW is any of this the employees fault?

Seriously.. read before commenting...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Did no one read the articles out there??? The guy took a gun out, grabbed an employee put a gun to his head and REFUSED TO LEAVE OR DO ANYTHING ELSE. How is it 'not a crazed gunman'? If you tell the guy he can go without any trouble and he REFUSES to do so, how is that 'not letting him go'??? Just HOW is any of this the employees fault?

Seriously.. read before commenting...
NOW SEE WHAT YOUVE GONE AND DONE.................
YOU'VE JUST BURNED THE MIDNITEOYL
Old 02-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Getting other people killed

If he has a gun to my back and my coworkers jump him, I hope they explain to my widow that they were trying to be heros. Not worth it for a laptop.

Take a minute, calm down, and let him walk away. He did not "refuse to leave;" they didn't give him a chance to leave. The article quotes an employee as saying they could have let him leave but chose jump him instead.

What the thief did was wrong, especially pulling the gun. Jumping a gunman puts everyone's life at risk.

Rational human beings think; animals just react.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
NOW SEE WHAT YOUVE GONE AND DONE.................
YOU'VE JUST BURNED THE MIDNITEOYL
LMAO
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
When my daughter was in college I got her a job as an assistant manager of a supermarket in a marginal neighborhood, my first statement to her was if anyone tries to rob you comply with their demands all they can take is money. Several months into the job an armed psycho came in and demanded all the cash, she complied the store was out several thousand dollars and my daughter came home safe. The next day the police came back to the store and said they had a suspect, he had been out of jail less than 24 hours. After he robbed my daughter he went on to rob 2 other businesses, at the second the person resisted and was murdered. IT'S ONLY MONEY!!!!!!!!!
I still have my daughter and the 3 beautiful grand kids she's given me.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote