Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2018, 06:47 PM   #1

Walmart???????????why

It seems half the posts that recommend a product the poster says wallmart, wallmart is the reason main street America is gone and I find no bargains there. They usually are more expensive than other places. They come to a place with low prices, drive out the other stores and raise their prices higher than they were originally. I personally won't buy anything there unless absolutely necessary and I hate that these pages support them.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by easywind View Post
It seems half the posts that recommend a product the poster says wallmart, wallmart is the reason main street America is gone and I find no bargains there. They usually are more expensive than other places. They come to a place with low prices, drive out the other stores and raise their prices higher than they were originally. I personally won't buy anything there unless absolutely necessary and I hate that these pages support them.
WM's prices are the lowest around, to say they ''are usually more expensive than other places'' is absurd. You obviously have an ax to grind with WM, fine, don't shop there.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #3

ok!
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #4

I agree but in some communities, Walmart has driven out the rest of the small businesses and all they have is Walmart. I've been in the south and all they talk about it Walmart probably because it has everything and there's no other place to make a purchase.

I'm sure you've seen the photo's of some very rank customers that visit Walmart and unfortunately or fortunately, that's why I too don't shop there.

Along this topic, I have friends who shop there and I consider that to be their business.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:56 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I rarely enter the local Walmart when at home. When we are traveling it is the 1st place we look for because we know we can find almost everything we need there.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:02 PM   #6

Just me personally, but I sometimes go there for the convenience. I can go buy groceries, clothing, auto products, hardware, garden supplies .. even ammo at the same store. My wife just bought a new pair of glasses for about $400 less than she'd have paid elsewhere. She stopped in while grocery shopping.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well there's always Amazon, but the downside is no overnight parking.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #8

If they drove out small business, the small business wasn’t competitive. That is how capitalism works.

It is not consumers’ job to artificially prop-up small businesses. If the small businesses provided a good or service that was competitive the consumers would have continued to shop there.

Never have understood the hate for WalMart.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
If they drove out small business, the small business wasn’t competitive. That is how capitalism works.

It is not consumers’ job to artificially prop-up small businesses. If the small businesses provided a good or service that was competitive the consumers would have continued to shop there.

Totally agree, capitalism is all about rewarding the lowest cost best quality supplier. Protectionism dosen't work as history has proven over and over again.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post

Exactly. I live in a fair-sized city, and we have several small, family owned hardware stores that I'll go to in a heart beat instead of any of the big box stores. I pay a little more, but I can ask Joe a stupid question and get an intelligent answer.

I'm with you on the Walmart hate. It's very easy to find people who hate them, yet they're the largest retailer in the world. It doesn't quite compute.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Wal Mart is one of a few chains that cater to the RV crowd. With the exception of town ordinances preventing overnight parking. Wal Marts will always let you stay there. Some even have designated parking for RVs. I have no problem with their business model.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #12
laj

headin down to wally world to get more popcorn. this thread should provide lots of entertainment
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:11 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
The nice thing about Walmart is that when you travel from town to town, the store layouts are very predictable. At least that is my experience here in the southwest. Don't know about back home.

You know where to find that popcorn...

They also have the only cat food that my cat wants.

Fresh produce, fruits, eggs, always in the same place.

Saves a lot of time. Even though I have all winter...
Old 03-17-2018, 09:24 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Yes WlaMart undercut higher priced local department stores, through a business plan that started with a small mom and pop store that grew into the conglomerate it is today...and it serves the RV community very well. It too will go under eventually, Like Sears, Kmart, and Penneys are, unless it adopts the business approach of Amazon and other on line conglomerates. Sorry, but if you like to pay more, you can probably find a place to spend your money, but Walmart serves me for convenience...and it sells DEF at a price close to a pump price, and I don't have to turn the coach around to fill up the DEF tank at the truck stop! JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote