Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2018, 07:17 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I admire your tenacity.

Dennis...think about it....I wouldn't necessarily call it "tenacity"!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2018, 07:39 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
OK I gotta comment on this one. I have never found quality fresh fruit and vegetables at Walmart. Most of what I find there looks like stuff they dumpster dove for at Safeway. I only buy name brand prepackaged food at Walmart.

Glenn
Because i always strive to get the best bang for my buck, i am a Walmart shopper. Their everyday prices on "most" items are lower or about the same as other retailers. There are exceptions of course but not many overall.

But like you, i rarely find much of their produce to be of good value. Depends on what you're looking at but a lot of it is typically higher priced and not as fresh as what you get at the grocery store. As far as name brands, i would give their "great value" label a try, as we've found it is usually as good as the name brands.

I too used to think Walmart was bad for the world but then i realized that it is us customers that have made them what they are today. We want low prices and convenience and that's exactly what they are giving us.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:41 AM   #143

https://savingscatcher.walmart.com/

I hope you all are using Walmart Savings Catcher. You submit your receipt and WM checks other stores for a lower price. If there is one you get a refund!

You can also put in a credit card, pay with the app and submit it from there, in the store. Very simple. I've had it for over a year and got $128 back.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:48 AM   #144

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many of us use GOOGLE or another search engine and Wal-Mart is often the first link to the product.. I generally post with the explanation that the LINK is an EXAMPLE of what I'm talking about but not a recommendation for the store (or against). Like the O/P I do not care to shop Wal*mart but it is an easy catalog to search.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:17 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukiman View Post
U paid $400. Less ? I don't even pay 300. for mine !! LOL
Curiosity has gotten the best of me. I have read this thread backwards and forwards but haven't found the post the above post is replying to. $400 less for what?
Old 04-03-2018, 08:20 AM   #146

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I do miss a good hardware store though.
Thirty years ago our small town of (then) 15,000 had THREE hardware stores. Over the years they all died out, the last one about three years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Several years ago I was talking to the local ACE hardware store owner. He owned two. We are in a small town, there is another long term hardware/feed and seed just down the road from the store (or where it was), and the closest WalMart is 10 miles away. One day the ACE store put up a going out of business sign and I asked why. He response was he can compete with the feed and seed. He can compete with Walmart and Lowes with superior customer service and in some cases better products. But he could not compete with the tax burdens of the local towns. Point is that there are many reasons that businesses close up, not all of them due to Walmart.
Both of these are true.

We sold our S&B last year in a very small town of 1800+ people. But it was growing due to local investors in the county.

When moved there in 2013, it had two hardware stores. Within a 5 mile radius, there were 4 hardware stores (two other small towns) and a lumber yard.

One of the two in town, the owners finally retired due to age and none of the kids wanted it. They tried to sell but no one wanted it. Main reason, the area they were in was in downtown which had the bright idea to insist that all businesses had to be culinary or artsy to come in. And the rent/property taxes were more in line with a town of 1 million not 1800 souls. Because the business would have changed families, the new owners could not continue as a hardware store. So, the town actually put that hardware store out of business.

The other one went out of business a year later. Their owners were also aging.

The two in the adjacent towns and the lumber yard are doing great. Mainly due to rent/property taxes being much more reasonable. And while prices may be a tad higher, you don’t spend half your day riding down to HD/Lowe’s to get it cheaper but paying more in gas/wear and tear on the vehicle and on you.

We are back in the area, discovered that while the underperforming grocery store that was between two of the towns had finally closed, there is a Tractor Supply going in. There was a branch of the same grocery chain less than 5 miles away.

WalMart and other big box stores had nothing to do with that small town losing businesses that are needed. It was the town planning commission and the town council who had their collective heads in the sand.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #147

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady View Post

WalMart and other big box stores had nothing to do with that small town losing businesses that are needed. It was the town planning commission and the town council who had their collective heads in the sand.
You sound like you lived where we used to live. We left because the local council was doing its best to become something the citizens really didn't want or need.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:22 AM   #148

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As a fulltimer I shop in a different city about 20 times each year. Shopping at Walmart is not only convienent but they have a parking lot large enough that I never come back outside to find the rig blocked in by some idiot's car. Most WM stores carry the same brands so I can buy familiar products instead experimenting with the unknown.

Good, bad or indifferent - Walmart is here to stay. If you don’t agree with their business practices, shop elsewhere. As for you haters - your scorn and bad mouthing doesn’t affect their bottom line, but it does affect your mental and physical health. Why not let the negative go and find something to be happy about. You'll live longer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:20 PM   #149

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
...Good, bad or indifferent - Walmart is here to stay. If you don’t agree with their business practices, shop elsewhere. As for you haters - your scorn and bad mouthing doesn’t affect their bottom line, but it does affect your mental and physical health. Why not let the negative go and find something to be happy about. You'll live longer...
Good advice. The never Walmarters are not influencing anybody's opinion when they make totally absurd comments like..."walmart's prices are higher" and "they never have any fresh vegetables,"
that everybody knows are not true.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:00 PM   #150

Well, I didn't completely go through this entire thread but I still want to put my 2 cents in too:

So I, for the most part, avoid WM mainly due to, the fact (I think) that most ALL of their products are made in China. (If this has already been covered I apologize.)

But remember back about a year ago, there was this picture of a GIGANTIC cargo ship with TONS and TONS of products bound for Walmart? I think this link has a picture of it: MyRightWingDad.net: Fw: Walmart Container Ship crosses

This carried almost 15,000 containers bound for Walmart.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebba_M%C3%A6rsk

So I guess that's mainly why I try to avoid it. I have purchased tires and a few other items but as someone else posted here, I rarely go there locally. However, when traveling in the RV I have gone there to pick up RV related things...like a sewer slinking hose and those blue water filters.

So yeah, I think that's my biggest complaint is buying all this stuff from China. Yes I know, MANY other stores carry stuff made in China too, but I attempt as much as possible to buy American made stuff. Like my phone holster, made by Turtleback. I LOVE the extra tag on it, "MADE IN USA!". And guess what? It wasn't expensive and has lasted WAY LONGER than any of the other ones I purchased that were made in China. Just sayin.

There..that's my 2 cents plus...you can keep the change. HA!

Love this site and all the folks here. I appreciate everyone's input.

Later.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #151

Look where the stuff comes from that cabellas sells...not here!

Nobody is gonna change anyone's mind!

I'm out.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:57 PM   #152

Entegra Owners Club
I have only one downside to big box stores and their parking lots...my F-150, parked properly, seems to be a magnetic draw for every bozo that can to back into the corners of the vehicle. My bumper and the fender edges look like they passed thru downtown Baghdad during an extremist attack. The sad thing is, the ONLY TIME anyone left a note or waited and owned up to the damage they did was at a Walmart in Florida. That single mother Mom didn't sound like she needed the increased insurance cost resulting from my dented bumper...I called her at the number she left, thanked her for doing the Christian thing, and told her I'd make do with the dent.

But I swear, I'd like to catch a couple of the bozos that hit a car in the parking lot and drive off! Turn 'em into the sheriff with a hit and run complaint!
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Look where the stuff comes from that cabellas sells...not here!

Nobody is gonna change anyone's mind!

I'm out.
Nah..I wasn't looking to change anyone's mind, it's just something that's been on my mind and this was a good place to pour it out.

So yeah..I'm done too. Going to look for another thread to have fun it! HA!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:04 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Many of us use GOOGLE or another search engine and Wal-Mart is often the first link to the product..

Being one of the links to pop up on the 1st page of a search engine is not because of how many people have searched for Walmart products. It is mostly due to SEO (Search Engine Optimization). People pay others to tweak their website (for example, adding select key words) so that their website continues to pop up on the 1st page of search results.