Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2018, 09:35 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
I worked in a WallyWorld while home from South Texas for the summer. When they built the Superstore, 5 small businesses while employed 44 people closed. Walmart employed 350 people. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2018, 09:52 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
It seems half the posts that recommend a product the poster says wallmart, wallmart is the reason main street America is gone and I find no bargains there. They usually are more expensive than other places. They come to a place with low prices, drive out the other stores and raise their prices higher than they were originally. I personally won't buy anything there unless absolutely necessary and I hate that these pages support them.
8 years ago one of the largest Super Watmart's east of the Mississippi opened 1/2 mile away (NE. Ohio). Big issue with rampant shop lifting...from day one. Said to be 2 to $5,00,000 a year. Drove 80% of the other stores in the plaza to close. After 8 years, they abruptly closed two years ago. Since then now the rest of the stores closed. Now about a million square feet of retail has been vacant.

About the only time I shop there is where were boondocking over-night in their parking lot.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:03 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
You'll be saying that about Amazon and their ecommerce ilk soon, and WalMart will be gone.
TonyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:11 PM   #18

It's the best place to buy motor oil, and I don't find their food prices any cheaper than Tom Thumb or Kroger. Their wine and beer (good beer) isn't any cheaper either.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:14 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
It's business Darwinism, evolve or die. Used to be if you wanted a dining room set, you went to the table guy, he'd build you a table, then you went to the chair guy, he'd build you some chairs. You canned your food in glass jars because cans were not invented and because no one else did canned stuff for sale. A refridgerator cost the same as a car (I have one). You shopped for the day's veggies, not the week's.

Mom and pop stores overcharged because they could not buy in bulk, and had outdated logistics. Now they ship you dinner in a box, all you gotta do is fix it. Uber and Lyft have killed smelly puked-in cabs -- YEA!! We had one phone on the wall, then we had six all over the house, now we have one again but it's in my pocket. And the phone companies, once well sought-after monopolies, are in their death throws, and nobody wants to save them. Darwinism is a wonderful thing.

I can go to WalMart and buy a cantalope, some underwear, 6 gallons of oil, and a picture frame. Mom and pop never let me do that.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:15 PM   #20

We shop Kroger for the coupons and then go to Walmart for the main groceries. I do like that most Walmarts have the same layout.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:17 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
You can go to WalMart in your jammies with a bad case of bedhead and not be the worst dressed. I feel better about my self after a visit to WalMart.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
You can go to WalMart in your jammies with a bad case of bedhead and not be the worst dressed. I feel better about my self after a visit to WalMart.
Not the Walmart in Palm Desert...
Old 03-17-2018, 10:48 PM   #23

I don't have to go to Camping World for basic items as they are cheaper at WalMart. I want the product for the cheapest price and I don't care who is selling it. If it means mom&pop go out of business then so be it.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:20 AM   #24

I live in NYC and there are NO wallmarts thankfully. I find on the road and I'm down south in Alabama there are 4 wallmarts in a 18 miles stretch. I can shop for groceries cheaper in NYC with 100 times more selection. I can walk into a hardware store and find intelligent people who can answer questions. In wallmart there are no people to ask. I buy cooked chickens for my dog but can't get one in any of the 4 wallmarts after 5pm. With auto parts or oil I buy Mobil1 and it is on sale cheaper than WM, just need to get on the computer and see who has a sale..
I stand by my original post. Not to say that small town America is ruined because WM is nothing but a predator and does nothi g for the community it serves.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:16 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why Wal*mart????

Well. They are all over.. If for example, I suggested you buy from "General RV" and you happen to be in say Sacramento... Well they are not, but Wal*mart is.

Also it is an easily searchable catalog and they pay Google for top billing when you do a Search for product.

IN all cases you should consider this.. The link provided (And in my cases I often spell this out in a post) is a SUGGESTION and a lead on ONE dealer . You are under no obligation to go to that Dealer unless no other dealer carries it. Example. Later today I'll pick up a wrench (Special order) from a Store I'd rather not do business with,, but they are the store that carries this specific tool, none other.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:18 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Like others we find it a great place to get multiple items on our shopping list at one time. This makes it easier as sometimes we have the rig and toad to park, so one stop makes sense.
Good prices on camping stuff, BBQ needs, housewares and some food. All in one fell swoop.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:29 AM   #27

In the small town near me we had most everything years ago. Grocery, hardware, sporting goods, lumber, butcher shops, and on and on. With the advent of shopping centers and later, Walmart, those stores closed. My thought was that folks had enough of parallel parking, parking meters, fines and dodging cars. Or maybe it was the fact that it took all day to gather a variety of items. My thought is they should have taken care of the inconvenience and maybe the town would not be just a center for tattoo parlors and karate classes. Now, way late in the game, there is ten times the needed municipal parking available.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:55 AM   #28

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Does the OP buy anything at Amazon? I'm guessing YES. Amazon is more of a threat to small business than WalMart ever was.

I buy at Amazon AND WalMart. I believe in capitalism and survival of the fittest. And WalMart is a major employer for many small communities. Sam Walton started out just like all those other Mom and Pop stores...all the others had the same opportunities he had. I grew up in NW Arkansas and he drove his old pickup truck around just like everyone else. The original stores were holes in the wall (my mom shopped in one in Berryville AR!)...he was not born with any silver spoon in his mouth.

I don't feel patient this morning with Virtue Signalling. I'll go drink another cup of coffee and hope that everyone here will accept my apologies for not being kinder and gentler.
SuzanneH is offline   Reply With Quote