RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #71
Member
 
Inventor's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Gilroy CA
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Well there's always Amazon, but the downside is no overnight parking.
You say it

Sent from my SM-G900V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
mikeG

1998 40' Monaco Dynasty
Inventor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #72
Member
 
Inventor's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Gilroy CA
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
If they drove out small business, the small business wasn’t competitive. That is how capitalism works.

It is not consumers’ job to artificially prop-up small businesses. If the small businesses provided a good or service that was competitive the consumers would have continued to shop there.

Never have understood the hate for WalMart.
That's because you never had a small business

Sent from my SM-G900V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
mikeG

1998 40' Monaco Dynasty
Inventor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
Wundertaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,832
My favorite cartoon, by Walt Kelly
__________________
Mike, Betty & Sophie (Guard Cat)
Full Timers from the Great Lakes State of Michigan
2013 Silverado 3500HD Duramax Diesel & 2013 Cedar Creek Silverback

Wundertaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventor View Post
That's because you never had a small business

Sent from my SM-G900V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app


The problem is, it isn’t society’s job to prop-up a business. It is the business’ job to provide goods and/or services that meet the needs of the society at which the society is willing to pay for. Your small business isn’t supposed to survive because of charity. This is all basic economics and capitalism. Competition may cause less competitive businesses to fail, which is bad for the small business, however it is good for everyone else. If the small business was “better “, people would have shopped there and it would have survived. Again, these are fundamentals of capitalism.

Small businesses can hold on to the “our kids go to the same school and I have lived here my whole life” story, but at the end of the day it doesn’t matter. I’m not paying extra for that. Based on how things turn out, most people agree with me.

“I was born & raised and continue to live here” is not a viable business plan.

... and I have had a small business.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #75
Senior Member
 
Wundertaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
The problem is, it isn’t society’s job to prop-up a business. It is the business’ job to provide goods and/or services that meet the needs of the society at which the society is willing to pay for. Your small business isn’t supposed to survive because of charity. This is all basic economics and capitalism. Competition may cause less competitive businesses to fail, which is bad for the small business, however it is good for everyone else. If the small business was “better “, people would have shopped there and it would have survived. Again, these are fundamentals of capitalism.

Small businesses can hold on to the “our kids go to the same school and I have lived here my whole life” story, but at the end of the day it doesn’t matter. I’m not paying extra for that. Based on how things turn out, most people agree with me.

“I was born & raised and continue to live here” is not a viable business plan.

... and I have had a small business.
As much as I yearn for the old days, I have to admit that the above is true and will continue to be so for at least my foreseeable years...

Hence my having a Son in Wisconsin, a Son in Louisianna and soon to be transferring to Florida, and a daughter in Michigan. That's the main reason my wife and I sold out and are going FT in about 70 days. The end.
__________________
Mike, Betty & Sophie (Guard Cat)
Full Timers from the Great Lakes State of Michigan
2013 Silverado 3500HD Duramax Diesel & 2013 Cedar Creek Silverback

Wundertaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:00 PM   #76
tcg
Senior Member
 
tcg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 838
I don't think Walmart should get the entire blame for mom and pops going under. I think the community should take some of the blame.

I live in a very small town. For most my 53 year life there was a family owned IGA.

Through the years they were very good to the community, donating to schools, supplying things for community events, etc..

I remember during the Northeast Power Outage that store was the only store with a generator and they stayed open 24/7 supplying water, refrigeration and anything they could for the community.

A few years after that a big grocery chain came in, the community quickly forgot how that store was there for them. They didn't last very long after.

When they announced they were shutting down the community was outraged that a big chain would come to town and do this to them.

I totally understand, in this economy, having to shop for the best price but you would think a store that served the community would have gotten a little more support from that community.

I know I shopped there instead of the big chain but me and a few others were not enough.

Something else that really ticks me off, and I lecture freinds and family when I see it happen, going into the knowledgeable local store and picking their brains for ideas and products and then going online or to big box store to purchase an item they got help with is complete bs.

If you get help from them you darn well better buy from them. Local stores are not Amazon's showrooms.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #77
RVM99
 
bokobird's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: CT S&B
Posts: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
The problem is, it isn’t society’s job to prop-up a business. It is the business’ job to provide goods and/or services that meet the needs of the society at which the society is willing to pay for. Your small business isn’t supposed to survive because of charity. This is all basic economics and capitalism. Competition may cause less competitive businesses to fail, which is bad for the small business, however it is good for everyone else. If the small business was “better “, people would have shopped there and it would have survived. Again, these are fundamentals of capitalism.

Small businesses can hold on to the “our kids go to the same school and I have lived here my whole life” story, but at the end of the day it doesn’t matter. I’m not paying extra for that. Based on how things turn out, most people agree with me.

“I was born & raised and continue to live here” is not a viable business plan.

... and I have had a small business.
For some odd reason, I don't think it'll be good for everyone else when there's only one place left to go. It'll be a monopoly and the prices everyone pays will be dictated by the needed profit margins of that quarter. Thanks!
__________________
Carl
'07 Newmar KSDP3916 w/Hydralift/'06 FLHX, '15 Equinox, Blue Ox Alpha, RVibrake2, FMCA F476758
With the birds...
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
I don't think Walmart should get the entire blame for mom and pops going under. I think the community should take some of the blame.

I live in a very small town. For most my 53 year life there was a family owned IGA.

Through the years they were very good to the community, donating to schools, supplying things for community events, etc..

I remember during the Northeast Power Outage that store was the only store with a generator and they stayed open 24/7 supplying water, refrigeration and anything they could for the community.

A few years after that a big grocery chain came in, the community quickly forgot how that store was there for them. They didn't last very long after.

When they announced they were shutting down the community was outraged that a big chain would come to town and do this to them.

I totally understand, in this economy, having to shop for the best price but you would think a store that served the community would have gotten a little more support from that community.

I know I shopped there instead of the big chain but me and a few others were not enough.

Something else that really ticks me off, and I lecture freinds and family when I see it happen, going into the knowledgeable local store and picking their brains for ideas and products and then going online or to big box store to purchase an item they got help with is complete bs.

If you get help from them you darn well better buy from them. Local stores are not Amazon's showrooms.
This is a good and well-reasoned post

I tend to do business with people I like. I bought a motorcycle recently from a dealer that has helped my friends and me for years. He didn't have the lowest price, and he wasn't the most convenient dealer. But we have a history, and I wasn't going elsewhere for a few bucks.

And we buy our groceries from a smaller, local store that's more convenient than Walmart. They may be a few dollars higher, but it's not gonna affect our standard of living.

And I will not go to a local vendor, get all the info, make a decision, then buy from the cheapest supplier. That's just not how I roll.

But I do buy from Walmart from time to time. I have no animosity toward them. Heck, I even own part of it. LOL (As in, I have some stock in my portfolio)
__________________
2017 Thor A.C.E. 30.1
F53 18,000 GVWR
EdInArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:22 PM   #79
Member
 
Inventor's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Gilroy CA
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
For some odd reason, I don't think it'll be good for everyone else when there's only one place left to go. It'll be a monopoly and the prices everyone pays will be dictated by the needed profit margins of that quarter. Thanks!
Very few members understand this concept, so the tread is getting longer and longer and longer. ..........:l augh:
__________________
mikeG

1998 40' Monaco Dynasty
Inventor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 243
I guess the reason WMT is so Huge and successful is because No one goes there to shop. If I cant afford to stay in a Camp ground at nite I will stay at home.
__________________
W5CI.
2005 30RLBS Cedar Creek, MORryde IS with Disc Brakes, TST TPMS with Color Monitor
2015 RAM 3500 Cummins DRW, Garmin RV760LMT
danny285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 1,833
Blog Entries: 6
Walmart has my vote. They too started with one store and had to compete. They made it work and passed the saving on to the consumer. They now have more stores out of the US than in by over 500. How can anyone complain about a success story like that?
__________________
'04 Newmar MADP: 1Kw solar, Silverleaf, '17 Rubicon
ByeTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:48 AM   #82
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Motorhome stored in NJ
Posts: 313
One thing I see totally missing from this thread is time and what your time is worth. I hate going to a big box store because it's the only game in town and I need 1 or two items and need to spend 1/2 hour, 1 hour because there is no help and the two items you need are at opposite ends of a 1/4 mile long store. Then you need to stand in line behind someone who has shopped for 10 people for the month. I'd rather pay more get in and out and get done.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:41 AM   #83
Senior Member
 
Philswrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 197
I remember when everyone used to bitch about K-Mart
Philswrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:05 AM   #84
Senior Member
 
kayak70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NW GA
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philswrench View Post
I remember when everyone used to bitch about K-Mart
Yep, there is always a favorite bashed store, shop, dealer etc. Now that K-Mart is gone it is WalMart. In RV world it is always Camping World. Wife has photos taken at their beginning tiny location when camping in her folks tiny old RV.

I love, absolutely, capitalism and America. Some little guy gets a big idea and it works...bye Sam, you did great!

It is sad however to see the shopping centers failing. I think many times the overhead to have a spot in most simply is too high for a profit margin. As the stores fail and spots become empty it seems the thugs and gangs start strolling the place.

I hate to think WalMart might go away because they provide mostly easy access to RVs on the road as well as an emergency overnight on weekends when every spot in a park is always taken by weekend warriors. Reservations are seriously not possible when out for three or four months except for special destinations. More RVs, not enough campsites.
__________________

__________________
Bill & Brenda + Mobius Big Dog
'18V24D, '13 TiffinBR32, Tiffin 34TGA, '11 Aspect 30C, 06V23H, '00 HHikerII 5W
kayak70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why, Why, Why? PizzaGuy RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories 7 01-19-2012 06:57 AM
Why oh Why Mody n Domy Class A Motorhome Discussions 9 06-24-2011 10:08 AM
Why a ladder. Why no roof storage boxes? DumOleBob iRV2.com General Discussion 9 04-25-2010 01:45 PM
Would you buy a Bigfoot diesel? Why or why not? girlierider600 Class C Motorhome Discussions 15 12-18-2008 03:31 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.