Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Warning: 876 call Scam

Received this in an Email. Source unknown. You can search on the words "876 Scam," and find many sources of information.

"876 Call Scam

If you receive / miss a call from area code 876 (Jamaica) Do Not call back (unless you know the caller / number and are expecting the call).

The 876 area code has been linked to a form of telephone fraud known as the "one ring scam". The person perpetuating the scam calls the victim via a robodialer or similar means, sometimes at odd hours of the night, then hangs up when the phone is answered with the hope that they will be curious enough to call the number back. When the victim does this, an automatic $19.95 international call fee is charged to their account, as well as $9.00/min thereafter. Similar scams have been linked to Grenada (area code 473), Antigua (area code 268), Jamaica (area code 876), the Dominican Republic (area code 809) and the British Virgin Islands (area code 284)."

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #2

Thanks for sharing. Good to know. However, don't you have to dial a country code before entering an area code?

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
A little more info on this topic: snopes.com: 'One Ring' Scam

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I've gotten a few of the "one ring calls". I don't know the number therefore I look up the area code and then I don't bother calling back since I don't know anyone in that area. I have also received the texts and emails from Verizon when they were verifying that I was still eligible for the veteran/military discount. Did not answer back and just went into the store instead and confirmed face to face they still needed the information. I don't trust any email or text or phone call that asks for information, I will look into it before deciding I want to give any info away.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Now I know well that these types of scams go on. The Snopes article is on the 809 area code scam. The 876 is a split from the 809 area code and both originate in Jamaica.

Just don't return calls to area codes or telephone numbers that are not your family or friends. If it is a legitimate business the will call you back.

HOWEVER - never give out information over the telephone from any call. Especially if it is one of the companies you do business with. Tell them you will call them back. Hang up and then look up the company's phone number and initiate the call. Do not answer questions on calls that you do not initiate. It's just not good sense at all.

If you go back to the 419 scam (Nigerian) of the '80's it is funny to note that businesses complained so much that it became a criminal law to fax fraudulent information via Facsimile.

Wouldn't it be nice if they applied the same rule to telephones and the Internet.

So please, just be aware that these types of scams are still going on. The 419 scam goes back to the 19th Century and sort of patterned itself after the "Spanish Prisoner" scam.

You can look up both 419 Scam and Spanish Prisoner Scam, along with the 876 and 809 scam and get many hits.

Just be aware.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #6

Whenever I get a one ring call, or any call that has a number I do not identify, I look it up via Google and identify it, and so far have simply blocked those numbers on my phone.
Never, ever just call back!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Its the high tech version of the Nigerian Letter. It just never ends does it.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:02 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Another is Area Code 749 - that is a spoof area code that telemarketers, bill collectors and scams use. I got a call yesterday from one could not understand (broken english) took 3 times before I could understand kept asking if I had applied for a loan with cash America loans said no and hung up - afterwards started wondering if I had said yes they would most likely said can you verify your name address ss# etc. but then about 2 hours later I started getting telemarketers calling every 5 minutes asking if I wanted to go back to school or help with a job or who was my insurance with and the kicker would I like a loan - over half asked who I was LOL ended up going to verizon online and blocking a half dozen numbers - got a email this morning stating that they blocked 23 calls for those 6 numbers yesterday
Old 08-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My policy: I get a call from a number I do not know I google it first.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
If a call isn't from someone in my contact list.
And they don't leave a message of what the call is about.
They never get a call back from me.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Agreed. If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
If a call isn't from someone in my contact list.
And they don't leave a message of what the call is about.
They never get a call back from me.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
We use PhoneTray:

PhoneTray - Block telemarketing calls, stop robocalls, zap telemarketers

You may have to search for the FREE version 1.35 - the latest is a pay version.

Blocks incoming spam, you can block calls from a particular area code, or individual numbers, should you wish. Works great - used it for years. You can have custom "hang up" or recording notices to the caller as well.

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote