Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
WARNING - Computer threat page

If you have received an email that portraits that you are a "Top user of You Tube," be WARNED. The subject title will have the words, "Welcome to the Users Rating TOP"

Clicking on any link in that email will direct you to a page that can harm your computer. If you have already visited that page you need to run virus and malware software.

Every link in that email will take you to a site called "aybaybilgisayar" dot com. The site infects your URI (Uniform Resourse Identifier)

The WOT (Web of Trust) rates this site as harmful to your computer.
=============

If anyone has any different information, I'd like to hear about it.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My advice, as someone who is responsible for protecting a network from 200 computer illiterate employees, is to NEVER click on a link from an email. Absolutely never from an unsolicited sender, and even be wary if it appears to be from someone you know, because of spoofed email address issues.

If you *must* know about the content of the email, open a browser and go to their web site to try to find out about whatever it is.

Thanks for the heads-up on that one.

If you're in a hurry, you shouldn't be RV'ing
RVee'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVee'r View Post
My advice, as someone who is responsible for protecting a network from 200 computer illiterate employees, is to NEVER click on a link from an email. Absolutely never from an unsolicited sender, and even be wary if it appears to be from someone you know, because of spoofed email address issues.
That's the best recommendation. DON'T CLICK ON A LINK IN AN EMAIL. I guess there are enough people that do to keep these scams coming. You Tube, Microsoft, most big banks, UPS and other shipping companies have all been used to send spoof emails that take you to 'Canadian Pharmacies' or more nasty infectious websites.

REMEMBER: There is no such thing as a free lunch. Be skeptical of all offers, awards, even news on the internet. Check before clicking or passing it on to someone else.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Very good advice, but take it one step further. In your email, you don't have to open an attachment, or click on a link, all you have to do is open the email.

From "The Daily Mail"
"The email will just say "loading," and in no time you will be infected. You will not even be warned. [T]he email automatically downloads malicious software into your computer from elsewhere the moment a user clicks to open it. The mails themselves are not infected - and thus will not 'set off' many web-security defence packages."

These types of viruses have been in the wild for some time and have had publicity in Feb, 2012.

I don't want to get into computer protection, and heuristics, except to say that there is no package presently on the market that can protect against every virus, only against many of the KNOWN viruses. This does not negate the fact that everyone should have some type of protection, and the better the protection the better you are protected against a virus.

Please, don't get paranoid about this, just be careful. As stated above, do not open email from sources you have not solicited an email from, or you do knot know, and do not trust your contact 100%. Anyone can 'Spoof' an email address.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #5

Good info and reminders... Thanks !!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #6

Thanks for the info...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use Mcaffe and usually they block malicious content and indicate it in a popup. They also provede a link to tell yu more about it.

But programs like this are only as good as their databases.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use Norton's IS and I like the ability of its heuristic virus detection. I'm not sure if other virus detection programs have that capability. Anyhow, I grew up with Nortons, and NASA JSC used it on all of their computers and I got to know it well enough to use it here on all my computers.

Most important is to have some type of protection. Even with heuristic virus detection, not every single piece of malware or virus is going to be detected. One just never knows.

I'm about read to switch from DSL to Cable. At least with DSL I had a better chance at security. With cable, everyone on the trunk is a potential risk.

Tags
computer