Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Edible
No- he got it right the first time!

Just because something's "eatable" doesn't mean it's "edible"...as witness some of my cooking!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So, the bottom line is.......we really don't have anything to worry about as long as we use nothing more than E-10 in our gas, uh?

MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #45
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Getting back on topic, and gasoline is not edible or eatable by me, ya'll do what you want to when it comes time to fill your tank(s). I'm going to try and stay with E-10 until such time it is proven that E-15, or above, will not harm my engine(s)

https://www.google.com/search?q=E-15...ient=firefox-a
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
I also live on a farm. We've never grown corn for human consumption in over 30 years. I self blend 50% ethanol for our 1996, 1997 Neons and 2002 PT cruiser. MPG drops about 2-3 MPG (hi 20s low 30s). Occasionally run 40% in 2011 Traverse (no apparent MPG change - low 20s on highway). That said, I'd NEVER do that to the 1996 Ford chassis in Mtn Aire. I run unleaded regular as often as possible. The Chrysler vehicles have plastic fuel tanks and modern FIs. The MoHo truck chassis is old tech, was refuled who knows were before I got it, has a metal gas tank, and wasn't designed with alcohol in mind.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #47

Several of our stations offer e10 and E0 both. I fill the boat, both Fuzion tanks and law mowers with E0. Seems to last longer when burned and my lines don't "melt". It is more $$. Worth it I think
Old 01-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsySciGuy View Post
I also live on a farm. We've never grown corn for human consumption in over 30 years. I self blend 50% ethanol for our 1996, 1997 Neons and 2002 PT cruiser. MPG drops about 2-3 MPG (hi 20s low 30s). Occasionally run 40% in 2011 Traverse (no apparent MPG change - low 20s on highway). That said, I'd NEVER do that to the 1996 Ford chassis in Mtn Aire. I run unleaded regular as often as possible. The Chrysler vehicles have plastic fuel tanks and modern FIs. The MoHo truck chassis is old tech, was refuled who knows were before I got it, has a metal gas tank, and wasn't designed with alcohol in mind.
That is good, no MPG hit?
www.afdc.energy.gov/pdfs/afv_info.pdf

Other thoughts:

Ethanol affects small engines also... so watch snow blowers , lawn mowers, boats (friend of mine and years ago my father-in laws)...

Even treehugger.com posts articles against it...
http://www.treehugger.com/renewable-...t-mystery.html

HuffPo is not wild about it either...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-d..._b_504518.html

As for burning it, my uncle gets a "tax credit" for burning 100% (farming since the 70s and my grandfather before that). Surprising enough he figures he gets about 33% less ,mpg than a gasoline engine in the same vehicle.

To each their own, in my opinion it is not worth burning...
http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/crops...ackground.aspx

Sorry for the links but some still will believe a conspiracy...
Old 01-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #49

Last year I read an article stating the diesel engine industry is experimenting with mandated blending Ethanol into diesel fuel. Wonder how that's going to turn out?
As for old gas engines, in South America it is common to convert the old (1950's-1970's) engines to burn 100% Ethanol.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #50

You can burn anything for energy... if it is designed for what you are burning is what is in question.

Replacing pumps, lines, filters you can burn ethanol in a standard engine, in newer engines the computer adjusts the timing to reduce knock. See below for possible needs for conversion pure ethanol: http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me2.html
Old 01-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
So only put it in your vehicle if it's made after 2001 and if it says in the vehicles manual that you can use it. Since it's clearly marked at the pump this shouldn't be a problem. After all you don't put diesel in your gas engine either.
Quote:
I just started to watch the video. Guys, it was on Fox News. Never believe anything you hear or see on Fox News. Not, that I'm denying the claims that it shouldn't be used in cars not made for it!!! But Fox is just trying to sensationalize it because,,,, well, that's what they do. Don't let them scare you.
You mean MSNBC? To simply ignore a warning because it comes from a source you politically dislike is not fair to you.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #52

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
My 8.1 Workhorse instructions say do not use less than 87 octane. I guess the EPA could ground us if they mandate E-15 or more at the pumps. They could force a lot of vehicles off the road.
Ethanol has MORE octane than gasoline. Mixing it in should raise the octane rating, not lower it.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
OK, let me start of by giving full discloser. I work on the farm. Itís what I get paid to do. Ethanol has been good to farmers. My boss has been able to buy newer and nicer equipment due to increased corn prices relating to Ethanol. That nicer equipment allows us to work fewer hours meaning I get to go camping more often. But, it is also true that the farm equipment he and other farmers can now buy is built in this country so Ethanol has been good for the economy of the nation as a whole. Believe it!
Now that being said, I donít believe that your vehicle is going to suddenly explode like a small thermonuclear weapon because you get a drop of Ethanol in the tank. In fact you could most likely even run a whole tank of E-15 without any damage. The reason I believe this is because Iíve heard this story all before. When we first started to go to E-10 people were saying at that time that this was going to be a big disaster and all the cars were going to go to heck. It didnít happen. There were a few problems because Ethanol is a cleaning agent and older gas stations with dirty tanks got some of the sludge in their tanks stirred up when the switch to Ethanol fist went into effect. This problem was more prevalent in some parts of the country then in other due to different states having different regulation on how clean the fuel in those old tanks were in the first place. This was over a decade ago and those problemsí should be in the past.
And, I can tell you this we run E-10 in our 1976 F-150, my 1976 Pontiac Lemans, my 1981 Ford T-Bird, and my 1984 Lincoln Mark VII without any problems what so ever. I also run it in my 1973 Silverline Comoro boat that is powered by a 4 cylinder Chevy engine. In the past I did also run it in my 78 Mercury Zephyr and my 1986 F-250 without any problems either. Now both of those vehicles are in the junkyard. Ethanol didnít kill them they just wore out. But, if I was a big conspiracy theorist I would be running around blaming those vehicles demise on Ethanol but, that would be a false assumption.

There is a lot of misinformation going around and itís hard to tell who to believe. But, I know from experience that I run E-10 in everything we have without issue. I donít know what is going to happen with E-15 But, I donít think it going to cause the end of civilization as we know it. And, every gallon of gas sold in MN is required by law to be an E-10 blend. There are a handful of stations selling non blended gasoline but, itís for older collector vehicles and you breaking a law if you try to run it in your newer vehicle.
So, you are saying that you NEVER had to rebuild a carb or replace ANY fuel related components or lines on those engines??

If you did, then you just UPGRADED that part to a more Ethanol friendly one...

I DO remember having to rebuild carbs, swap out floats, and change out fuel lines on older vehicles. Ever heard of Viton?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #54
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So all these news stations are biased. Hmm! I didn't know that.

AAA Asks EPA To Stop Sales Of New Ethanol Blend

E15 fears: More ethanol in gasoline is bad news for power equipment, critics say

E15 alcohol fuel can wreck engines, auto groups' data say

Is E15 fuel bad for your car?

I like this take. Really biased, eh?
E15 and Engines - Can Ethanol Damage my Engine - Popular Mechanics

And on, and on, and on. Now I wonder who the first was to report this. Hmm! Could it have been....... you judge.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
So, you are saying that you NEVER had to rebuild a carb or replace ANY fuel related components or lines on those engines??

If you did, then you just UPGRADED that part to a more Ethanol friendly one...

I DO remember having to rebuild carbs, swap out floats, and change out fuel lines on older vehicles. Ever heard of Viton?
The 79 f-150 had the fuel pump go bad. I suppose you could blame it on the ethanol but, you could also blame it on that it was at that time 26 years old when it happened. I did rebuild the carb on the 81 t-bird becasue the power valve started leaking. Again, I suppose this could have been do to the ethanol but, it also could have been becasue it was 25 years old when I did it. Nothing has been done to any of the rest of them.

I've never hear od Viton. What was it?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #56

The criticism that I don't watch certain stations because of political beliefs on my part is correct and a valid argument, I'll grant you that. Truth is I don't watch any news on TV. I feel it's all sensationalized. I read my local paper, I listen to my local radio news show at Noon, and yes, I do sometimes listen to NPR. But, whenever I hear anything, from any source, I take it with a grain of salt. Iíll listen but, unless I see the proof myself I am not easily swayed by things that I hear.

However there is a weekly news program that I try to listen to whenever I can. Itís called ďWait, Wait, Donít Tell MeĒ Itís on the radio Saturday and Sunday afternoonís. And, they have lots of recent studies listed on that show too.