Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hopefully we'll still have a choice at the pump. The way the EPA forces these mandates these days I wouldn't count on it.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #16

Same problem with bio diesel. Our warranty on our Dodge truck will be voided if we use more than 5% bio diesel and the pumps are marked 5-20% so we cannot buy it. There are some states we will not go to because they seem to only sell bio diesel. It will really gum up a diesel engine.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 8.1 Workhorse instructions say do not use less than 87 octane. I guess the EPA could ground us if they mandate E-15 or more at the pumps. They could force a lot of vehicles off the road.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
There's nobody reading this thread that will live long enough to see ONLY E15 available at typical gas pumps. I doubt that there's anyone even born yet that will see that day come.

Just watch the labels, folks...just like you do to insure you don't put diesel in a gas rig or vice versa!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We need something else to FREAK OUT on since the Mayan thing didn't pan out.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquest102 View Post
We need something else to FREAK OUT on since the Mayan thing didn't pan out.
Hmmm...I 'spect you're right...

One would think that having found ourselves black and blue at the bottom of the fiscal cliff this morning would have sufficed.

Is there no end to our Thrill-Seeking???
Old 01-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
There's nobody reading this thread that will live long enough to see ONLY E15 available at typical gas pumps. I doubt that there's anyone even born yet that will see that day come.

Just watch the labels, folks...just like you do to insure you don't put diesel in a gas rig or vice versa!
If you don't think it is possible you obviously don't know California politics. The crazier the idea, the faster California will try to enact it!

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Francesca, how do you know this? Have you tried to buy leaded gasoline recently? You can't. A lot of older, classic cars still require leaded fuel unless the engines have been rebuilt or modified. Your choice is to use an additive or go with unleaded. I can't even buy regular unleaded (no alcohol) gasoline in the Chicago area or anywhere within about 100 miles.
I don't trust the government to give us a choice for more than a few years.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
The major oil companies had no dog in the "unleaded gasoline" fight- they won either way.

Not so in the ethanol vs. petro debate....every time the E percentage edges up, oil profits edge down.

I frankly couldn't care less which one of those bad boys wins, 'cause I know either way we consumers will come out the losers. But when picking winners, my money's on the Big Oil boys, and it'll be a long, l-o-o-on-g time 'til the Ethanol crowd beats 'em.

If ever!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
My 8.1 Workhorse instructions say do not use less than 87 octane. I guess the EPA could ground us if they mandate E-15 or more at the pumps. They could force a lot of vehicles off the road.
Ethanol added to gasoline typically RAISES the octane number. E-15 is not necessarily lower than 87 octane ... depends on the octane rating of the 85% gasoline.
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Ethanol added to gasoline typically RAISES the octane number. E-15 is not necessarily lower than 87 octane ... depends on the octane rating of the 85% gasoline.
The pumps that I have seen don't show that at all. The E-15 I have seen is all marked 84 or 85 octane.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
The pumps that I have seen don't show that at all. The E-15 I have seen is all marked 84 or 85 octane.
Still .... octane rating is an octane rating .... gasoline blend (ethanol added) can be high octane.

Green Car Congress: Ford researchers suggest using higher ethanol blends to boost the minimum octane number of regular-grade gasoline

There's lots of data available. But the problems associated with low octane are different from the problems associated with ethanol.
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #27
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
I just started to watch the video. Guys, it was on Fox News. Never believe anything you hear or see on Fox News. Not, that I'm denying the claims that it shouldn't be used in cars not made for it!!! But Fox is just trying to sensationalize it because,,,, well, that's what they do. Don't let them scare you.

Hmm! Me thinks someone needs to come out of the cave once in a while.

Just do a search on "E-15 bad for cars," without the quotes.

Or, try this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=E-15...ient=firefox-a

and tell me how many of these links are just trying to scare us.

The OP was not to scare anyone. There are major concerns with vehicles when fuel and additives are changed. If you don't believe the news media, (with a grain of salt and some research) then by all means use the E-15 in your gasoline powered vehicles that they say should not use it. Be our guest.

The post was not about what news media is the best or worse. It was just given for information purposes only. What any one person believes or does not believe is a personal choice that we all have to make.
------------
As for the pumps and labels, well, again that is our responsibility to look at the labels on the pumps. Remember when we had to look at the diesel pump and make sure it was or was not ULSF? How about those stations that have GREEN gas handle pumps. You better darn well stop and read what you are pumping or it could be more than $3, $4, or $5 a gallon.

Happy trails.

p.s. maybe some would prefer a different perspective CNBC:

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000132582

and I'll wager that many networks cover this subject.

Personally, I will avoid it until final determination and trials by unsuspecting people have confirmed that it is safe to use without damage to components of my vehicle(s)

Also, there was mention of a "fiscal cliff," and the "fiscal cliff" has been resolved. Let's not go off topic in this thread regarding political correctness or incorrectness. Thanks.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #28

Bottom line is that most major car manufacturers will void your warranty if you use it. Many and possibly most stations who have just gone through the expense of changing their tanks are not going to put in extra tanks for E15 and E85 so they will be blending at the pump meaning that you can get a gallon or so of E85 or E15 even if you select the other choices. Not too big a deal in a motorhome with an 80 gallon tank but in your motorcycle or scooter it will be a big deal so the EPA solution is to mandate a 4 gallon minimum purchase however most times you fill up a bike it is less than 4 gallons so you may end up having to pay for 4 gallons of gas but only get 1 or 2. Huh?

This does not seem to be very well thought out.

If E15 becomes the only choice when you fill up will we be now talking 4 mpg on the highway instead of 8 or 9? I prefered the 11 to 12 I was getting on straight gasoline myself. The oil companies are selling more gas because of the way ethanol drive down fuel economy in my vehicles. Add 10% ethanol and drive fuel economy down 15% to 25% does not result in lower consumption of oil but has the opposite effect.