Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Dav5942's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lake Oklawaha RV Resort(\
Posts: 1,374
Yes!
__________________

__________________
Outlaw LS '16 JK Ruby '13 TJ '04 Ruby XJ '98-all built for Moab, HD Trike '15, AC Wildcat Trail in garage
http://picasaweb.google.com/dav5942/...T2AlaskaBeyond
Dav5942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
John H...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Johnstown, PA USA
Posts: 3,325
An estimated 5 million people are without power in the NE. Other people in some areas are still trapped in their houses by flood waters. Ask any of them if it was overblown. Can you imagine what people would be saying today if it was underblown.
__________________

__________________
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #31
Member
 
85Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 66
If you think it was over hyped just ask the parents of the 11 year old boy that was killed what they think.
__________________
85Eagle
Louisville, Kentucky
The Wife & I & Mitzi II, 4 Year old Shih-Tzu
85Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
RJay's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Eagle View Post
If you think it was over hyped just ask the parents of the 11 year old boy that was killed what they think.
Sure, you can always take it to the extreme to justify anything, isn't that what the media did? It was a bad storm but was it the storm of the century as reported?
__________________
2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #33
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H...
An estimated 5 million people are without power in the NE. Other people in some areas are still trapped in their houses by flood waters. Ask any of them if it was overblown. Can you imagine what people would be saying today if it was underblown.
Well said. I totally agree. I live in Fl. and they cannot give me enough info. I then decide whats the best course of action for my family. We have a solidly built house thats completely protected by shutters. We keep a closet filled with essentals in case we are hit. The last three huricanes left us without power for 5 days each. With all that said I appreciate the warnings. If it turns out not to be as bad as forcasted, thats ok with me. In 1938 there were people swimming in the ocean as the hurricane hit. We've come a long way and maybe someday they'll be perfect in forcasting the exact velosity as they seem to be on the path.
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
RJay's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
Well said. I totally agree. I live in Fl. and they cannot give me enough info. I then decide whats the best course of action for my family. We have a solidly built house thats completely protected by shutters. We keep a closet filled with essentals in case we are hit. The last three huricanes left us without power for 5 days each. With all that said I appreciate the warnings. If it turns out not to be as bad as forcasted, thats ok with me. In 1938 there were people swimming in the ocean as the hurricane hit. We've come a long way and maybe someday they'll be perfect in forcasting the exact velosity as they seem to be on the path.
Do you make a better decision when the information your given is hyped or when the information accurately describes the situation as it is known when it is known?
__________________
2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #35
iRV2 Marketing
 
DriVer's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 23,304
Blog Entries: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmasters View Post
Those people in Katrina had time to leave, but didn't
I think that's because the "Media" did not over blow it.

With 10 Billion dollars worth of damage and over 20 persons that have perished, in my opinion, the media coverage was not overblown. Aside from Social Networking like Twitter and Facebook that can not be verified, TV/Satellite/Cable networks have shown live video so we can see what's going on.

So - I don't think that it's fair to say that the event was over blown because many lives were saved. 65 Million people were directly impacted, more than any other storm in US history.

That said, I'm not so sure that I liked the Weather Channel's advertising campaign that states trust us now and come back and watch us later.
__________________
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #36
TW
Senior Member
 
TW's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,004
Nothing was OVERBLOWN. A lot of people still stayed around.
You never know how one of these storms will end and where?
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
RJay's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by TW View Post
Nothing was OVERBLOWN. A lot of people still stayed around.
You never know how one of these storms will end and where?
Does that mean that people will refuse to leave no matter what information they're given?

The storm track showed the path straight up along the east coast thru New England before it reached land in the Carolina's.
__________________
2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Steve N Sal's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,614
I can't really say it was over rated. It's better to be safe then sorry. Hey, if the people that decide to stay and weather it out, more power to them. If it were me I would be getting out of Dodge. The worst thing as far as the media is the poor sap that's actually covering the storm standing out in the elements. Do they not think we're smart enough to know that the wind and rain is treacharous? These people standing outside, that's nuts. The last thing I want to see is someone being be-headed or impailed by an object. Stay inside and do your reporting. I don't want to see how brave or is it stupid they are standing out there. JMHO!
__________________
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Michigan (Winter For Now)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
RJay's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
I can't really say it was over rated. It's better to be safe then sorry. Hey, if the people that decide to stay and weather it out, more power to them. If it were me I would be getting out of Dodge. The worst thing as far as the media is the poor sap that's actually covering the storm standing out in the elements. Do they not think we're smart enough to know that the wind and rain is treacharous? These people standing outside, that's nuts. The last thing I want to see is someone being be-headed or impailed by an object. Stay inside and do your reporting. I don't want to see how brave or is it stupid they are standing out there. JMHO!
So the more the information about a storm is hyped the safer your feel?
__________________
2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Francesca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Port Hadlock, Washington
Posts: 2,855

Hey, RJay!

As a Westerner, I've always liked (and agreed with!) that second line in your signature motto, but in this thread...

Well, it looks sort of backwards, at least to me.

Francesca
__________________
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #41
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Was Irene Overblown?

Yes..
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
RJay's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Hey, RJay!

As a Westerner, I've always liked (and agreed with!) that second line in your signature motto, but in this thread...

Well, it looks sort of backwards, at least to me.

Francesca
Hi Francesca,
Being born and brought up in New England my first destination as a fulltimer was South Dakota, it being my new domicile I want to see where I now lived. The first dramatic scenery I saw were the Bad Lands and that's where that saying was born.
__________________

__________________
2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fresh Water System problems (Irene prep) fmoore Travel Trailer Discussion 2 09-03-2011 10:30 PM
Hurricane Irene DriVer Just Conversation 56 09-01-2011 03:22 PM
Irene - 16 RV's at the local Walmart ! Jupiter Just Conversation 0 08-27-2011 10:40 PM
Irene srusso1202 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 2 08-26-2011 09:31 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.