Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post

I believe Irene was hyped by the media. Responsible people will take the necessary precautions if given accurate information. But to force people into action thru fear is not prudent.

Will this turn out to be the storm of the century perhaps but not for the reason it was originally reported.
RJay, you seem to separate the role the media played from the role played by elected officials. Is that your intent? What I'm getting at is the image I still have of Gov Christie looking into the cameras (speaking to the citizens of the Jersey Shore areas) and yelling "get the hell out!" The media is going to be all over something like that just like a dog on a bone.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #72

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Very true Bob, Living in Ma. we are use to a good Noreaster but during the winter the trees don't brake as much due to no leaves on the trees. Once the snow and ice pack on them that is a different story. I'm in southeastern Ma. and we got hit hard in 91 when Bob came through. This wasn't as bad for us as we didn't get a direct hit. I don't think it was over blown.
Dan

Old 08-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #73

Quote:
When a storm is hyped the media may benefit with higher ratings but it causes the citizens to spend more on preparation than what's needed. Of course the preparation we each make depends on our tolerance of risk but accurate reporting will allow each of us to gauge that risk appropriately. The danger is when the next storm comes and is truly dangerous citizens will not take warnings seriously, resulting in more damage and loss of life.
The problem with this logic is that it's not about your tolerance for risk. Today's news is filled with rescue stories. That means that others, many times volunteers, have to risk their lives to rescue you because you knew more than the experts and arrogantly didn't follow their advice. You are not taking any risk at all, it's the tax payers and rescue personnel who are taking the risk!

Even if you are the expert it's impossible to know just how much damage will occur from a storm like this. To error on the side of caution is not such a bad thing. Just think how many lives would have been lost if people had not reacted and taken the advice of government experts?
Old 08-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #74

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
RJay, you seem to separate the role the media played from the role played by elected officials. Is that your intent? What I'm getting at is the image I still have of Gov Christie looking into the cameras (speaking to the citizens of the Jersey Shore areas) and yelling "get the hell out!" The media is going to be all over something like that just like a dog on a bone.

Rick
Absolutely, If not the media what source of information do regular people have to get weather information. NOAA weather is excellent but not everyone can receive it.

I don't think the people of Louisiana and New Orleans were served very well by their politicians during Katrina.

If I remember correctly Gov. Christie's comment was for people to get off the beach. Contrast that with Mayor Bloomberg telling 350,000 Manhattan residents to evacuate when Irene had been down graded to a tropical storm. If we are given accurate forecast information why do we need a politician to tell us what to do, up to this point they haven't impressed me with their judgment.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #75

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegascouple View Post
The problem with this logic is that it's not about your tolerance for risk. Today's news is filled with rescue stories. That means that others, many times volunteers, have to risk their lives to rescue you because you knew more than the experts and arrogantly didn't follow their advice. You are not taking any risk at all, it's the tax payers and rescue personnel who are taking the risk!
Even if you are the expert it's impossible to know just how much damage will occur from a storm like this. To error on the side of caution is not such a bad thing. Just think how many lives would have been lost if people had not reacted and taken the advice of government experts?
People make judgments based on risk everyday and everyone responds to it differently. People who were sitting in the path of Irene probably asked themselves “how far do I have to drive to get out of the storms path”. The risk is if they don't drive far enough they may suffer damage. If you think your going to get thru to those who think having a hurricane party in a beach front cottage is cool, chalk it up to cleansing the gene pool.

Forget about the damage, we're talking about accurate information we can act on before the storm arrives and any damage occurs.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #76

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
An estimated 5 million people are without power in the NE. Other people in some areas are still trapped in their houses by flood waters. Ask any of them if it was overblown. Can you imagine what people would be saying today if it was underblown.
42 dead,can't ask them.Safe than sorry
Old 08-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #77

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
No it wasn't over blown,as a local weatherman stated it doesn't have to be a Cat 5 to be a bad hurricane,one that hangs over your location and beats you for hours and hours on end can do a lot of damage. We have 3 trees down and a little damage to outbuildings,power went our at 5 a.m.Saturday morning and no power yet-thank goodness for generators! Power was out in whole county but they are slowly getting it back up. But we consider ourselves very lucky,our home and lives were spared,there are so many that live in the same county but on the water that lost everything. We have been through many hurricanes in our years of living near the east coast,but this is one we'll be talking about for a long time!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #78

I can't keep from thinking about this topic. I'll admit that I can't imagine how anyone could think that the warnings were over blown. I'm sitting here in comfort, even though it's 107 outside, watching the news reports. We are writing to friends to see if they are OK! My heart goes out to those people.

Maybe you can help me understand the statements on here that would appear to say Irene was no big deal. It's just another example of government over blowing things! My questions to you would be:

What would be the appropriate warning for people impacted by Irene?

How can you look at pictures of your fellow citizens who no longer have a home, food, or water and think, wow look at that, the government sure made a big deal out of nothing!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #79

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegascouple View Post
I can't keep from thinking about this topic. I'll admit that I can't imagine how anyone could think that the warnings were over blown. I'm sitting here in comfort, even though it's 107 outside, watching the news reports. We are writing to friends to see if they are OK! My heart goes out to those people.

Maybe you can help me understand the statements on here that would appear to say Irene was no big deal. It's just another example of government over blowing things! My questions to you would be:

What would be the appropriate warning for people impacted by Irene?

How can you look at pictures of your fellow citizens who no longer have a home, food, or water and think, wow look at that, the government sure made a big deal out of nothing!
Sure, your contemplating the all horrific damage and destruction left by the storm and thinking how anyone can say Irene is not a bad storm. I'm not at all trying to minimize the storm's destruction and loss of life it's just not part of the discussion I'm trying to have.

I'm referring to the forecasts and available weather data before the storm even reached land and how the media hyped the storm as the storm of the century. A storm can reach that lofty plateau in two ways, it could be based on its intensity with record breaking related weather conditions, or the result of the most lost life and property.

The media had no idea how much damage Irene would cause. The forecasters couldn't plot the final track of the storm until it reached landfall in the Carolina's. So the media's concept of the storm of the century was fixed base on its intensity. The weather data just before it made landfall indicated it was a class I storm but the media was reporting it as a class 2 storm. Why is that important? As I've already stated, responsible people will take the necessary precautions when given accurate information. But to force or coerce people into action thru fear is not prudent.

As it turns out I'm not the only one who has noticed this hyped reporting, this type of reporting could result in more damage and lost of life because people will not take future warning seriously. We will see how the media handles the next storm, tropical storm KATIA is now developing in the mid Atlantic.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:49 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The weather data just before it made landfall indicated it was a class I storm but the media was reporting it as a class 2 storm. .
I wasn't aware of that. If the media were in fact making up stuff, including outright lies, there should be outrage. Was this coordinated across all networks or was there only one offender?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:08 AM   #81
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO

I wasn't aware of that. If the media were in fact making up stuff, including outright lies, there should be outrage. Was this coordinated across all networks or was there only one offender?

Rick
The order to evacuate must be given at least 24-36 hours prior to the storm hitting to be effective. They ( the weather service) were expecting a storm that deserved a strong evacuation message. The fact that the storm weakened just prior to land fall does not IMHO indicate that any media hyped up anything to evacuate those people. Sure they get excited , but the severity reports were just that. Reports, from the Natl. Weather Service. Thankfully the estimates did not come to the fullest that this storm could have delivered.
This storm will rank in the top ten most costly in our history and has thus far cost 44 lives. OVERBLOWN. I don't think so.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:34 AM   #82

Alpine Owners Club
Better question, WHY was the media overhyping Irene? Simple. Because Washington and NY are the media centers and this was a storm that was going to affect THEM directly. Seriously, the folks in the Gulf Coast, Florida and NC are hit with storms much more powerful and much more frequently. They are reported but with a fraction of the media intensity because it is NOT Washington and NY that are going to be hit.

Having lived through Cat 3 hurricanes and hellacious tornados, I can appreciate mother nature's fury as much as the next guy and empathize with those on the east coast who have suffered damage. But, still, by all other measures, Irene was overhyped. Some of that might have been due to the fact that no politician on the east coast, including our president, wanted to be viewed as insensitive or slow to react to the storm (a la Bush and Katrina) so they went the other way -- figuring they would score some political points by going out of their way to "warn" people and "prepare". If Irene turns out to be a Cat 3 in NY instead of a tropical storm, the politicians can say "I told you so" and "We did everything we could." When it is not another Katrina, they will receive little criticism. Perfect scenario for politicians and the lapdog media that reports.

Now we are going to be told by these same media how really really bad things are on the east coast to justify their prestorm hype and also because anything that impact THEM, is worse than disasters elsewhere. I can say pretty confidently that those who were impacted in Joplin Missouri's tornado have suffered more and in many other communities hit with floods earlier this year. But, because this is our east coast, where the "important people" live, being without power for a day or 2 is almost the apocolypse. We had an ice storm in the midwest a few years back where we were without power for 7 days in the middle of the winter. Did the national media report ad nauseum about how terrible things were in Kansas City?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:05 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
But, look at Latrina, no one moved....

Look at TEXAS a couple of years ago, again no one moved until the Interstates became parking lots. Then we had diasters of people being on freeways without fuel, food or water.
Your first statement is absolutely NOT TRUE. Yes, some people (a lot of people ) did not move, but a lot of people did. That's why, when the rest of NO was evacuated, the people had to be bussed to distant cities in other states. There wasn't any room in closer cities.

As for jammed interstates, it's not about people waiting too late. It's when you have so many people trying to move at once, you get gridlock.

One thing people seem to forget about Katrina was that the original forecast was for it to turn north and go up the west coast of FL. It kept moving west instead. I remember getting up on Saturday morning and checking the path of the hurricane and seeing that the projected path had changed overnight and it was due to hit Louisiana in less than 48 hours! I had to look at the news story a couple or three times to absorb what I was reading.

liz
Old 08-31-2011, 06:37 AM   #84

Everybody please note that this thread is posted after the hurricane. Why didn't the OP declare the forecast and warnings incorrect before the hurricane got to us?