Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #99

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Katrina hit in the Gulf coast. Irene not only was on the Atlantic Seaboard, but she traveled along a much longer path and the damage was far more widespread.
Well at least here we can agree on the facts but not the conclusion. You can't use the damage and devastation of Irene to justify a hyped forecast.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #100

NO.

nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #101

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
I think what is at work hear is some folks natural distrust of the media and government in general. I was in Waveland Miss. after Katrina, from the railroad track to the Gulf was gone, not damaged gone! Would you care to be the weather station or government agency that down plays or even work towards the low side of possibility? No one wants to be another Mayor Nagin in NOLA. Be a boy scout and plan ahead! JMO
I prefer a healthy skepticism. There was nothing nefarious about the forecasting or reporting of Katrina, that happened in the preparation. Katrina was a Cat 5 and unfortunately is the storm of the century.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #102

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyLA View Post
RJay,

Minor correction. Katrina was in 2005, followed by Rita on the other side of the state about a month later.

Then there is the Gustav/Ike pair in 2008...

liz
Liz,
Thank you! Correction noted and appreciated. Facts do matter.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #103

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Katrina came ashore in August 2005 not 2007. Not only are you wrong about the year, you are wrong about the category on the Saffir-Simpson scale. It was NOT a Cat 5; it was a Cat 3. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! Get the facts straight. Still the most deadly hurricane ever was the Galveston hurricane in 1900. It claimed about 8000 lives.

Irene will make history because of the impact to so many states with such widespread flooding. The fatalities are certainly low. RJay, you need to get over yourself and wait for the next hurricane to hit the Dakotas. Then let's talk "overblown."
From NOAA Weather.
On August 28, 2005, Hurricane Katrina was in the Gulf of Mexico where it powered up to a Category 5 storm on the Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale packing winds estimated at 175 mph. At 7:10 a.m. EDT on August 29, Hurricane Katrina made landfall in southern Plaquemines Parish Louisiana, just south of Buras, as a Category 3 hurricane. Maximum winds were estimated near 125 mph to the east of the center.

If your going to pick your facts to make a point be sure to do with someone who won't check them.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:42 PM   #104

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
When people talk to me I don't see labels, I actually listen to what they're saying and then use my God given ability to exercise the proper organ located north of my neck to determine if what I'm being told is fact or fallacy. Based on the content of your post I don't see where we can establish a conversation based on a single fact.
Oh, please, do keep on posting. You are doing a wonderful job of proving my last point.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #105

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Well at least here we can agree on the facts but not the conclusion. You can't use the damage and devastation of Irene to justify a hyped forecast.
What hype? It was all within the range of the forecasts. What more do you want?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:48 PM   #106

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
From NOAA Weather.
On August 28, 2005, Hurricane Katrina was in the Gulf of Mexico where it powered up to a Category 5 storm on the Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale packing winds estimated at 175 mph. At 7:10 a.m. EDT on August 29, Hurricane Katrina made landfall in southern Plaquemines Parish Louisiana, just south of Buras, as a Category 3 hurricane. Maximum winds were estimated near 125 mph to the east of the center.

If your going to pick your facts to make a point be sure to do with someone who won't check them.
People who live in glass houses shouldn't thow stones. You only said that Katrina was a class 5 and never mentioned she was a class three by the the time she hit land, where most of the damage was done. Class only refers to wind speed. Wind isn't the only thing that causes damage from a hurricane so it can't be used as the sole determination of how bad it is.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #107

Ford Super Duty Owner
From the damage Irene has given several states in floods, roads washed out, bridges swept away, isolating cities and people, overblown maybe for the hurricane but definitely not for the damage and time to recover. Cost will be in the billions and I believe at last count 30 human lives. I was interested in the minute by minute following because my son lives in New Bern, NC and even in NY close to the Canadian border the rains caused flooding near relatives.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #108

Newmar Owners Club
Could this be why the Media was hyping Irene??
Old 08-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #109

Hindsight is 20/20. A lot of this discussion is Monday morning quarterbacking.

I'd much rather the media hype the storm and maximize the number of people who take it seriously than have a bunch of people get caught unaware. Yes, there is the danger of crying wolf (and that happened with Katrina, because the year or two before, NO was evacuated for a hurricane that didn't pan out; people who evacuated and couldn't find a place to stay were more reluctant to leave for Katrina, lots of people were lulled into a false sense of security).

Regardless of what the media do, some will complain about too much coverage/hype, others will complain about too little/not enough. It's all about perspective, and everyone has a different perspective.

liz
Old 08-31-2011, 05:25 PM   #110

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Could this be why the Media was hyping Irene??
I have a colendar that holds more water than that. Even the article you linked debunks it.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:54 PM   #111
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Let's look at it this way. The media was reporting Irene was going to be the storm of the century. Even if Irene was a Cat 2 when it made landfall, how can a Cat 2 be the storm of the century when Katrina was a Cat 5 occurring in Aug. 2007. The reporting didn't fit the known information at the time. Why would the media hype a storm this way?
Quote:
From NOAA Weather.

I'm not stating the fact that Katrina was a Cat 5, just like I'm not stating a fact that Irene was a Cat 3. Both of them reached their peak category of Cat 5 and Cat 3. The point is that Katrina was a Cat 3 when she reached landfall, and Irene was a Cat 1 when she reached landfall.

I do pick my facts correctly. Including the year.

To report that Katrina was a Cat 5, and that Irene was a Cat 3 without further identifying in your first quote that Katrina was a Cat 3 at landfall, and Irene a Cat 1, is overblown.

Have you even considered that, in the case of Irene, the news media was reporting what information they had, and at the precise minute that Irene hit it was downgraded to a Cat 1? There is no way to predict within a time frame what a storm will do. There is no way to predict that at exactly a specific moment in time a storm will make landfall. There is no way to predict that at that specific point in time, that can't be predicted, that it will be a certain intensity. The news media was working with what they had, and reporting the "facts" as they had them. I personally think they did a very good job in their reporting, and I would also, in my opinion, say they saved lives. So, overblown, no.

I'm off my soapbox on this thread. Any more posting is just going to turn negative.

Have a nice sunny, fair weather day.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #112

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Irene will make history because of the impact to so many states with such widespread flooding. The fatalities are certainly low.
Do you think that those over 50 plus people would agree with your certainly low?

An Associated Press tally finds at least 45 deaths related to the storm in 13 states, and at least eight more in Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Haiti.

If that death toll stands, it would be comparable to 1999's Hurricane Floyd, which caused 57 deaths in the U.S. and the Bahamas when moved through the Caribbean and charged up the East Coast into New England. At the time, it was the deadliest U.S. hurricane in nearly 40 years but was later dwarfed by the 1,800 deaths caused by Katrina in 2005.

Triker56 is online now   Reply With Quote