Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #99
Senior Member
 
RJay's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Katrina hit in the Gulf coast. Irene not only was on the Atlantic Seaboard, but she traveled along a much longer path and the damage was far more widespread.
Well at least here we can agree on the facts but not the conclusion. You can't use the damage and devastation of Irene to justify a hyped forecast.
__________________

__________________
2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #100
Senior Member
 
nalcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 114
NO.
__________________

__________________
Charlie & Sherrie
Southeast Texas
'99 Southwind Storm, '10 Honda CRV
nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #101
Senior Member
 
RJay's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
I think what is at work hear is some folks natural distrust of the media and government in general. I was in Waveland Miss. after Katrina, from the railroad track to the Gulf was gone, not damaged gone! Would you care to be the weather station or government agency that down plays or even work towards the low side of possibility? No one wants to be another Mayor Nagin in NOLA. Be a boy scout and plan ahead! JMO
I prefer a healthy skepticism. There was nothing nefarious about the forecasting or reporting of Katrina, that happened in the preparation. Katrina was a Cat 5 and unfortunately is the storm of the century.
__________________
2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #102
Senior Member
 
RJay's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyLA View Post
RJay,

Minor correction. Katrina was in 2005, followed by Rita on the other side of the state about a month later.

Then there is the Gustav/Ike pair in 2008...

liz
Liz,
Thank you! Correction noted and appreciated. Facts do matter.
__________________
2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #103
Senior Member
 
RJay's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Katrina came ashore in August 2005 not 2007. Not only are you wrong about the year, you are wrong about the category on the Saffir-Simpson scale. It was NOT a Cat 5; it was a Cat 3. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! Get the facts straight. Still the most deadly hurricane ever was the Galveston hurricane in 1900. It claimed about 8000 lives.

Irene will make history because of the impact to so many states with such widespread flooding. The fatalities are certainly low. RJay, you need to get over yourself and wait for the next hurricane to hit the Dakotas. Then let's talk "overblown."
From NOAA Weather.
On August 28, 2005, Hurricane Katrina was in the Gulf of Mexico where it powered up to a Category 5 storm on the Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale packing winds estimated at 175 mph. At 7:10 a.m. EDT on August 29, Hurricane Katrina made landfall in southern Plaquemines Parish Louisiana, just south of Buras, as a Category 3 hurricane. Maximum winds were estimated near 125 mph to the east of the center.

If your going to pick your facts to make a point be sure to do with someone who won't check them.
__________________
2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:42 PM   #104
Senior Member
 
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
When people talk to me I don't see labels, I actually listen to what they're saying and then use my God given ability to exercise the proper organ located north of my neck to determine if what I'm being told is fact or fallacy. Based on the content of your post I don't see where we can establish a conversation based on a single fact.
Oh, please, do keep on posting. You are doing a wonderful job of proving my last point.
__________________
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #105
Senior Member
 
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Well at least here we can agree on the facts but not the conclusion. You can't use the damage and devastation of Irene to justify a hyped forecast.
What hype? It was all within the range of the forecasts. What more do you want?
__________________
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:48 PM   #106
Senior Member
 
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
From NOAA Weather.
On August 28, 2005, Hurricane Katrina was in the Gulf of Mexico where it powered up to a Category 5 storm on the Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale packing winds estimated at 175 mph. At 7:10 a.m. EDT on August 29, Hurricane Katrina made landfall in southern Plaquemines Parish Louisiana, just south of Buras, as a Category 3 hurricane. Maximum winds were estimated near 125 mph to the east of the center.

If your going to pick your facts to make a point be sure to do with someone who won't check them.
People who live in glass houses shouldn't thow stones. You only said that Katrina was a class 5 and never mentioned she was a class three by the the time she hit land, where most of the damage was done. Class only refers to wind speed. Wind isn't the only thing that causes damage from a hurricane so it can't be used as the sole determination of how bad it is.
__________________
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #107
Member
 
Sergeant80's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Saltillo, MS
Posts: 71
From the damage Irene has given several states in floods, roads washed out, bridges swept away, isolating cities and people, overblown maybe for the hurricane but definitely not for the damage and time to recover. Cost will be in the billions and I believe at last count 30 human lives. I was interested in the minute by minute following because my son lives in New Bern, NC and even in NY close to the Canadian border the rains caused flooding near relatives.
__________________
Retired US Air Force and IBM
Sergeant80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #108
Senior Member
 
RJay's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,589
Could this be why the Media was hyping Irene??
__________________
2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #109
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Baton Rouge LA
Posts: 260
Hindsight is 20/20. A lot of this discussion is Monday morning quarterbacking.

I'd much rather the media hype the storm and maximize the number of people who take it seriously than have a bunch of people get caught unaware. Yes, there is the danger of crying wolf (and that happened with Katrina, because the year or two before, NO was evacuated for a hurricane that didn't pan out; people who evacuated and couldn't find a place to stay were more reluctant to leave for Katrina, lots of people were lulled into a false sense of security).

Regardless of what the media do, some will complain about too much coverage/hype, others will complain about too little/not enough. It's all about perspective, and everyone has a different perspective.

liz
__________________
1998 Alumascape 30RLS FW
LibbyLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:25 PM   #110
Senior Member
 
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Could this be why the Media was hyping Irene??
I have a colendar that holds more water than that. Even the article you linked debunks it.
__________________
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:54 PM   #111
RV Mutant #14
 
Wayne M's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Let's look at it this way. The media was reporting Irene was going to be the storm of the century. Even if Irene was a Cat 2 when it made landfall, how can a Cat 2 be the storm of the century when Katrina was a Cat 5 occurring in Aug. 2007. The reporting didn't fit the known information at the time. Why would the media hype a storm this way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
From NOAA Weather.
On August 28, 2005, Hurricane Katrina was in the Gulf of Mexico where it powered up to a Category 5 storm on the Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale packing winds estimated at 175 mph. At 7:10 a.m. EDT on August 29, Hurricane Katrina made landfall in southern Plaquemines Parish Louisiana, just south of Buras, as a Category 3 hurricane. Maximum winds were estimated near 125 mph to the east of the center.

If your going to pick your facts to make a point be sure to do with someone who won't check them.

I'm not stating the fact that Katrina was a Cat 5, just like I'm not stating a fact that Irene was a Cat 3. Both of them reached their peak category of Cat 5 and Cat 3. The point is that Katrina was a Cat 3 when she reached landfall, and Irene was a Cat 1 when she reached landfall.

I do pick my facts correctly. Including the year.

To report that Katrina was a Cat 5, and that Irene was a Cat 3 without further identifying in your first quote that Katrina was a Cat 3 at landfall, and Irene a Cat 1, is overblown.

Have you even considered that, in the case of Irene, the news media was reporting what information they had, and at the precise minute that Irene hit it was downgraded to a Cat 1? There is no way to predict within a time frame what a storm will do. There is no way to predict that at exactly a specific moment in time a storm will make landfall. There is no way to predict that at that specific point in time, that can't be predicted, that it will be a certain intensity. The news media was working with what they had, and reporting the "facts" as they had them. I personally think they did a very good job in their reporting, and I would also, in my opinion, say they saved lives. So, overblown, no.

I'm off my soapbox on this thread. Any more posting is just going to turn negative.

Have a nice sunny, fair weather day.
__________________
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2015 Winnebago Tour 42QD
RVM14
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #112
Senior Member
 
Triker56's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,947
Quote:
Irene will make history because of the impact to so many states with such widespread flooding. The fatalities are certainly low.
Do you think that those over 50 plus people would agree with your certainly low?

An Associated Press tally finds at least 45 deaths related to the storm in 13 states, and at least eight more in Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Haiti.

If that death toll stands, it would be comparable to 1999's Hurricane Floyd, which caused 57 deaths in the U.S. and the Bahamas when moved through the Caribbean and charged up the East Coast into New England. At the time, it was the deadliest U.S. hurricane in nearly 40 years but was later dwarfed by the 1,800 deaths caused by Katrina in 2005.
__________________

__________________
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fresh Water System problems (Irene prep) fmoore Travel Trailer Discussion 2 09-03-2011 10:30 PM
Hurricane Irene DriVer Just Conversation 56 09-01-2011 03:22 PM
Irene - 16 RV's at the local Walmart ! Jupiter Just Conversation 0 08-27-2011 10:40 PM
Irene srusso1202 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 2 08-26-2011 09:31 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.