Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #113

The loss of life in New Orleans was horrible. New Orleans suffered minimal wind damage. South east of New Orleans the damage was devastating. This area was outside the river levee system. The strom surge wiped out the area. New Orleans and the most talked about area the lower 9th ward was due to flooding due to breached levees. It has since been noted that the levee conditions were not up to standards and had been for some time. The levee board and the COE had not done a very good job of seeing the levees were maintained and built to the right standards. Katrina was a major storm in the gulf and at landfall and caused damage to the gulf coast from Alabama to Texas. Irene caused damage up most of the East Coast. The issue as I see it is the media reports the news, the national weather service and most of the local meteorologists are the ones giving the forecast and predicting the impact. The news is the news, the weather is what is important. Each person has the ability to determine his on fate in regards to riding out a storm or evacuating. I don't blame the media for their reporting or the weather man for missing a forecast. We each take the information being offered and make a rational decision based on this information.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #114

I'll let you be the judge----------looks like we won't be going to the Outer Banks anytime soon.

Wilmington NC news, sports, weather, Wilmington film news, homes | StarNewsOnline.com | Wilmington Star News

scroll about half way down on right side & click icon about new inlets made. I think it may be in the pictures section.

oops!! looks like the page has been changed. anyway, the road to the campgrounds is destroyed (gone) in 5 places---lighthouse appeared to be ok.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #115

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
I'm starting to think this thread is overblown. There is no correct answer, only opinions and we all know about THEM
Come to think of it I have one question DID THE AMIGOS survive the storm?
Old 08-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #116

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyl View Post
The loss of life in New Orleans was horrible. New Orleans suffered minimal wind damage. South east of New Orleans the damage was devastating. This area was outside the river levee system. The strom surge wiped out the area. New Orleans and the most talked about area the lower 9th ward was due to flooding due to breached levees. It has since been noted that the levee conditions were not up to standards and had been for some time. The levee board and the COE had not done a very good job of seeing the levees were maintained and built to the right standards. Katrina was a major storm in the gulf and at landfall and caused damage to the gulf coast from Alabama to Texas. Irene caused damage up most of the East Coast. The issue as I see it is the media reports the news, the national weather service and most of the local meteorologists are the ones giving the forecast and predicting the impact. The news is the news, the weather is what is important. Each person has the ability to determine his on fate in regards to riding out a storm or evacuating. I don't blame the media for their reporting or the weather man for missing a forecast. We each take the information being offered and make a rational decision based on this information.
Bob, I see you understand the intent of this thread. I agree the weatherman reports the weather etc., but the weatherman gives his report maybe less than ten minutes out of every hour and the newscaster is on the rest of the time usually interviewing some reporter being blown horizontal on some beach or in a parking lot with debris flying around his head. The weather forecasters were accurate and did a good job in my opinion. The decisions we make about a situation is only as good as the information we are given.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:57 PM   #117

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
I'm starting to think this thread is overblown. There is no correct answer, only opinions and we all know about THEM
Come to think of it I have one question DID THE AMIGOS survive the storm?
Mike, I think I came to that conclusion as I was responding to the last post.

If this thread causes people to listen to the weather forecasters about impending storms rather than the media I think most rational people will make the approprate decision for their own safety.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #118

Monaco Owners Club
78 hours later, power is back.

I'm sorry for those families that lost loved ones.

I'm thankful the weather during those 78 hours was what it was and not during the winter months.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #119

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Bob, I see you understand the intent of this thread. I agree the weatherman reports the weather etc., but the weatherman gives his report maybe less than ten minutes out of every hour and the newscaster is on the rest of the time usually interviewing some reporter being blown horizontal on some beach or in a parking lot with debris flying around his head. The weather forecasters were accurate and did a good job in my opinion. The decisions we make about a situation is only as good as the information we are given.
What stations do you watch? Some little, podunk cable channel hard up for viewers? I never saw any sensationalized reporting on the major networks or my local broadcast stations.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
was this storm overblown by the media?
Absolutely not overblown. Here it is a week later and the suffering continues.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #121

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess some will say the wildfires that have burned more than 1 million acres of Texas land and destroyed thousands of homes and businesses is being over blown by the media. Tell that to my friends, family and neighbors that have lost everything in one of the over 50 current fires. I was notified last night that one of the fires is within 2 miles of our home in the country and is 0% contained. By the grace of God, its not moving closer at this time. Our volunteer firemen and women are stretched thin and are exhausted. It will be interesting to see if the feds turn us down again for disaster assistance, seems wildfires in Texas don't qualify as a disaster.

We could use your prayers for rain as we're in the worst drought in over 50 years.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #122
IC2

The media went into an orgasmic frenzy over TS Irene. Since there were no other disasters being covered, they eventually went into a blood lust and appearing to be waiting for the reports of death and mayhem.

Now, as far as damage, a lot in a 50 mile radius of where I'm typing this - Prattsville, NY has almost ceased to exist as have many other homes, farms and small communities in Montgomery, Fulton, Schoharie, Schenectady, Albany and Greene Counties in NY and other places I haven't listed. Vermont - well there are places you just cannot easily get to any longer from anywhere. It took 3 full days(no power, we had to do something) to clean my yard and home though I still have three fairly small trees draping the property from the woods yet to be removed (if TS Lee would ever stop dumping its load of rain) and my long dormant Stihl Farm Boss chainsaw starts. Luckily I only lost many big branches and lots of leaves from the 100 foot plus oaks in my yard.

Overblown as a hurricane - yes, As a horrible storm - NO, not with that much property loss. I can only imagine how bad it would have been had it stayed a Category 1,2 or 3.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #123

Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
Lots of things are overblown in retrospect. FAR BETTER safe than another Katrina situation.