Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Water Hook-ups

I suppose I'm just living in the past or something but for the last 15 - 20 years we haven't spent much time at CG and things have changed.

One thing I have noticed and I guess don't understand is, why, without a sewer hook-up everyone wants to hook up to water. Bound to use more water when hooked to the Park water. Of course that means the grey water fills quicker. Seems like a lot of work and expense to haul all those loads of sink water to the dump.

We carry 100 gal of water and enough grey-water storage for most of it.

This seems to be plenty for 4 to 5 days and at least 15 days on the black-water. We haven't had a full-hookup site in the last 9000 miles of travel so I guess we are just used to conserving.

We do go to COE Parks a lot and use the elect. but not water. It seems every other rig has a water hose hooked up.

Now please before anyone gets defensive about their water usage, this question is just idle curiosity on my part. I'm kind of a lazy guy and am trying to figure why other folks are willing to go to this extra work.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
I suppose I'm just living in the past or something but for the last 15 - 20 years we haven't spent much time at CG and things have changed.

One thing I have noticed and I guess don't understand is, why, without a sewer hook-up everyone wants to hook up to water. Bound to use more water when hooked to the Park water. Of course that means the grey water fills quicker. Seems like a lot of work and expense to haul all those loads of sink water to the dump.

This seems to be plenty for 4 to 5 days and at least 15 days on the black-water. We haven't had a full-hookup site in the last 9000 miles of travel so I guess we are just used to conserving.

We do go to COE Parks a lot and use the elect. but not water. It seems every other rig has a water hose hooked up.

Now please before anyone gets defensive about their water usage, this question is just idle curiosity on my part. I'm kind of a lazy guy and am trying to figure why other folks are willing to go to this extra work.
Good afternoon,

Just a FYI on my behalf. I travel lite, 20 gallons of water of less in a Gulf Stream bt cruiser with toad. I hook to water, leave my reserve in unit and dump on the way out. I don't need sewer most of the time just the dump. Either way you have to put water in or fill on your way out. Good luck. Brian
Bgdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
For me it's a weight thing. Why haul 800 lbs of water between CGs when you'll only need 80lbs. A whole lot lighter than a 5 lb hose
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #4

Quote:
One thing I have noticed and I guess don't understand is, why, without a sewer hook-up everyone wants to hook up to water.
Because . . .

- When I'm hooked up to water, my water pump doesn't need to run. I have an under-the-sink RO (Reverse Osmosis) unit with a 3-gallon water tank. When the RO tank is drawn down, the water pump will come on to refill it. If I'm hooked up to water, no pump noise in the middle of the night.

- When I leave the campground, I don't want to hold up the line by filling my water tank. 100 g filling @ 3 g/min . . . you do the math.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:

I'm with you. I don't hook up water or septic unless needed. I leave home with a full tank of water and empty holding tanks. About once a week I empty tanks and fill fresh water tanks.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I generally do hook up, Here in Michigan I'm always on a "Full Hookup Site" but in SC.. Well IN SC I spend a week out of 3 on a water/electric only.

I will arrive with like five gallons on board, Hook up, Fill the tank, Stow the hose cause I won't be needing it again till I get to the full hook up park

80 gallons - 640 pounds, 10 gallon = 80 That's why.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Both the DW and I like to shower at least once a day (not together). Also the darn dog gets cranky if she doesn't get her weekly bath. I don't think I've Ever gone a whole week on one tank of fresh water even when conserving.

Just Sayin
Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #8

We've stayed at many parks that are electric only. Without exception each has had multiple water fill stations. We typically pick Parks and camp grounds because of the beauty and location. If they have full hook ups that is just an added bonus. If they happen to have a water hook up we will use it, why not? But if they don't it is just not a big deal to top your FW tank off going in or after a few days. I travel with a 1/3 to 1/2 tank unless I know ahead of time that I'll need a full tank.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Apparently you have a much bigger bladder than I do. The wife will run the washer. I will take a shower. The cost of doing that is hauling waste water.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post

I'm with you. I don't hook up water or septic unless needed. I leave home with a full tank of water and empty holding tanks. About once a week I empty tanks and fill fresh water tanks.
Just a dumb question from a fairly newby: how can you go a week on one tank of water? DW and I fill up every other day because of showers and laundry and when we do our fresh water is usually at a third full.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
How long does it take to fill your fresh water all the way? Seems like it takes ours at least two hours or more and I don't know why. We have good water pressure so it's not that reason. We have 100 gallon tank. What is your experience with this?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We use full hookups most of the time that they are available. We may be gone for several weeks at a time and as we start full timing even more. DH loves long hot showers after driving or walking or anything really. We do laundry. So we use it. But we are self contained and able to go with no hookups as well with 100 gal fresh water and two gray tanks.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbnBarb View Post
How long does it take to fill your fresh water all the way? Seems like it takes ours at least two hours or more and I don't know why. We have good water pressure so it's not that reason. We have 100 gallon tank. What is your experience with this?

Our Monaco is also 100 gal. and I guess fill time is 15-20 min. I usually stick the hose into the "gravity fill" hole. I don't use full open on the hose because I worry about blowing out the tank if it can't vent as fast as I'm putting it in. I also don't use the city fill because of the chance of over-pressuring the tank.

I wonder if the Manufacturer puts a restriction into the "city fill" to prevent filling to fast.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ours take about 15 to 20 minutes from almost empty and that is thru the city water hook up with a pressure regulator at the faucet.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water