Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2011, 07:32 AM   #1

Water or Coke?

This is a quick read- Do ya like drinking a coke or two every day? Here's something for you to ponder-

Water or Coke - incredible?

I could not believe this..... Very thought-provoking.

WATER

#1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
(Likely applies to half the world population)

#2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is mistaken for hunger.

#3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as 3%.

#4.  One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

#5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

#6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

#7.  A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term
memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

#8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of
colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast
cancer by 79%., and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer. Are you drinking the amount of water you should drink every day?

COKE

#1. In many states the highway patrol carries
two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

#2.  You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke and it will be gone in two days.

#3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the 'real thing' sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

#4.  To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

#5.  To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

#6.  To loosen a rusted bolt: Apply a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

#7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake.
Thirty minutes before ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy. Here in the South we call it red-eye gravy

#8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of Coke into the load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION: 

#1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid.
It will dissolve a nail in about four days. Phosphoric
acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major
contributor to the rising increase of osteoporosis.

#2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup! (the concentrate) the commercial trucks must use a hazardous Material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.

#3. The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean engines of the trucks for about 20 years! Now the question is, would you like a glass of water? or Coke?
87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #2

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
very informative. I drank my second glass of water today as i read this.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Might want to run some of those through snopes.com: Urban Legends Reference Pages

This one is related to the water part snopes.com: Eight Glasses of Water a Day

This one to the Coke snopes.com: Coca-Cola Acids

Don't believe the emails your friends send. I have one that used to forward stuff like that to me so I started searching them at snopes and returning the links till he quit sending the junk.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
The other side of the coin:

Whenever you disregard your sense of thirst and strive to ingest several glasses of water a day just because you have been told that doing so is good for your health, you actually put unnecessary strain on your body in two major ways:
  1. Ingesting more water than you need can increase your total blood volume. And since your blood volume exists within a closed system - your circulatory system - needlessly increasing your blood volume on a regular basis puts unnecessary burden on your heart and blood vessels.
  2. Your kidneys must work overtime to filter excess water out of your circulatory system. Your kidneys are not the equivalent of a pair of plumbing pipes whereby the more water you flush through your kidneys, the cleaner they become; rather, the filtration system that exists in your kidneys is composed in part by a series of specialized capillary beds called glomeruli. Your glomeruli can get damaged by unnecessary wear and tear over time, and drowning your system with large amounts of water is one of many potential causes of said damage.
Putting unnecessary burden on your cardiovascular system and your kidneys by ingesting unnecessary water is a subtle process. For the average person, it is virtually impossible to know that this burden exists, as there are usually no obvious symptoms on a moment-to-moment basis. But make no mistake about it: this burden is real and can hurt your health over the long term.

I've been drinking Coke or Diet Coke for going on 60 years with no obvious medical effects. But since I don't have raw t-bone steaks or nails in my stomach I'm not overly concerned.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Another site to check is Urban Legends
Old 07-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #6

I believe the pop or soda adversely affects every organ and system in your body. I subscribe the The Mindconnection E-newsletter that explains how to properly exercise the gray matter and here is a link to this very subject:

Soft drinks: Unsafe beverages

I only occasionally drink Coke when it's liberally watered down with ice and Jack Daniels.. LOL!!
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Simple for me, when I am thirsty, I drink. Nothing complicated about that. I have never, or don't recall ever feeling the need for eight glasses of water per day. And like Big Sky Bob, I don't eat raw steaks, and prefer my T-Bones medium, and seldom eat nails. Have had to cut down on my intake of Diet Cokes in my elder years, seem like there just insn't enough places to relieve my bladder anymore.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #8

like a coke first thing in morning then drink water rest of day, then a coke for last break, every thing in moderation then no problems too much soda kidneys hurt to much water pee all the time found happy balance life is good
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
To the OP, your first reaction was the correct one..."I could not believe this."

Internet memes like this without any references are worthless. For each statement, ask yourself, "What official study produced theses results?"

It is easy to make up numbers like 75% of Americans are dehydrated, or 37% of this, or 3% of that. Where was the study that produced those numbers?

Actually, 63.5% of those statistics are just made up on the spot. <grin>

I agree with Mark and Nancy, go to snopes.com when you read something like this.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Drink when you are thirsty, eat when you are hungry in moderation.

"All things in moderation" as my mother used to say. Pretty good motto to live by---and I'll get to it some day. Of course she did not mean a literal "all".

That would in this age include reliance on the internet as a source of information. The internet is an over active effective source---but a curse as well-----lousy information travels fast.

Case in point----this past winter a spot next to me was filled by a person who immediately upon exit from his rather sumptuous motor home began espousing opinions------ones contrary to my thinking----but to each his own.

I had a soda in my hand and he said he did not drink that soda, nor should I, it was unamerican---he was drinking a Dr Pepper ---because my soda company had put out a can with the the pledge of allegiance on it and left out the words "under God". Those atheistic son of a guns.

Really???---so I looked it up-----well it turns out there was a company that put out a can with the words "One nation-------indivisable" on the top. This was after 9/11 and it was the same "headline" used by a prominent news magazine to speak of a nation that would not be divided in our time of crisis----the offending soda(if you call it that, seemed a reasonable sentiment to me under the circumstances) -----Dr Pepper.

I fact checked this guy through the ----long, long, long week he resided beside me-----and found him to be about 90% completely deluded. Otherwise an interesting fellow---he had dogs---which saved the experience from being totally intolerable.

Ignorace is bliss---internet ignorance is rampant--------finally this guy went blissfully away---and peace returned to my modest kingdom.

I am left blissfully with my delete button which I put to good use.

Trust---but verify.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87_Fixr View Post
This is a quick read- Do ya like drinking a coke or two every day? Here's something for you to ponder-

Water or Coke - incredible?

I could not believe this..... Very thought-provoking.

WATER

#1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
(Likely applies to half the world population)

#2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is mistaken for hunger.

#3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as 3%.

#4.&nbsp; One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

#5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

#6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

#7.&nbsp; A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term
memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

#8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of
colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast
cancer by 79%., and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer. Are you drinking the amount of water you should drink every day?

COKE

#1. In many states the highway patrol carries
two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

#2.&nbsp; You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke and it will be gone in two days.

#3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the 'real thing' sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

#4.&nbsp; To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

#5.&nbsp; To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

#6.&nbsp; To loosen a rusted bolt: Apply a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

#7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake.
Thirty minutes before ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy. Here in the South we call it red-eye gravy

#8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of Coke into the load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION:&nbsp;

#1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid.
It will dissolve a nail in about four days. Phosphoric
acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major
contributor to the rising increase of osteoporosis.

#2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup! (the concentrate) the commercial trucks must use a hazardous Material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.

#3. The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean engines of the trucks for about 20 years! Now the question is, would you like a glass of water? or Coke?
Its all hogwash ! check snopes like the man says. It will debunk this bit of nonsense thats been going around for years
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Might want to run some of those through snopes.com: Urban Legends Reference Pages

This one is related to the water part snopes.com: Eight Glasses of Water a Day

This one to the Coke snopes.com: Coca-Cola Acids

Don't believe the emails your friends send. I have one that used to forward stuff like that to me so I started searching them at snopes and returning the links till he quit sending the junk.

Bofus! Although I have used it to cut oily road film when the washer on my old 66 Plymouth was out of water. Sure did make a mess on the wipers when it dried however.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Hardly ever drink any kind of soda. I drink flavored water. Flavored mostly with hops, yeast, and barley............ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Hardly ever drink any kind of soda. I drink flavored water. Flavored mostly with hops, yeast, and barley............ronspradley
works for me:
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water