Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2014, 09:14 AM   #1

Unhappy Water reducer

Does anyone know why when we are using the fresh water tank the toilet does not run continuously, but when we hook up to city water it runs to overflowing. Also we have a reducer at the faucet.

tnx
2bajabums is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #2

I'd want to check with the park to see what the line pressure is , then if you have a basic reducer , replace it with an adjustable one with a gauge.
The basic reducers have been know to fail.

BTW: Welcome to iRV2
Old 07-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #3

Yep. When I began to read your question I thought pressure increase. A significant one.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Valve on the toilet also may be getting weak so it is pressure sensitive.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:51 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
u need an adjustable pressure, regulator set at 40 psi
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #6

Get a quality pressure regulator AND replace the valve on the toilet.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I am reading your question properly:
Using on board water no problems
Using park water, with a pressure regulator that is likely toast, Toilet overflows.

FACT: Most RV's say to limit pressure to 45 PSI, No the plumbing in the RV is rated for over 100 PSI and tested to more than twice that with one exeption that is

The valve on the toilet.. AT LEAST one brand of toilet the valve is only rated for a maximum of 60 PSI.

The solutions is to replace teh pressure regulator. more on that in a bit. But first we come to testing

There are several ways to test. Alas, I do not like most of the pressure gauges sold for this job as they tend to not last long, I have however gotten one to work well for me by replacing with a higher quality gauge

Gauges come in three types.. One comes with a hose female fiting and is designed to simply screw on the end of the regulator or hose. I like to use a "Y" connector with these.. and of course See type 3 later. adjust for 50 psi, make sure it stays there.

Type 2 is a gauge mounted on the side of a brass cylinder, the cylinder is very simular to the standard Water Pressure Regulator (Which by the way is junk) which is a cylinder the size of the hose connectors, with male and female solid connectors on each end. The difference is the cyliner is hollow (They make an adjustable version of this regulator with gauge attached)

The third type of gauge is the one you use to replace the gauges on the above two when they fail, which they will, and soon.

The regulators
I already gave you my opnion of the standard cylinder shaped regulators (JUNK) the high flow versions Not much better, still junk

Sur-Flow in-line or installed is the MINIMUM regulator and then only if it's new, They need to be rebuilt every 5 years or so.

Valterra adujstable.. I have not tested but they get good reviews.

Watts and Zurin adjustable In-line, These are designed (usually) to install in say the cold water line to your water heater at home or some other "in house" spot.. FANTASTIC, however like the sure flow need occasional rebuild, Mine are both 3/4 inch (Cheaper than 1/2 inch) the smallest Watts, (Which by the way comes with a gauge) is not big enough but the next size up (Comes both with and w/) IS.

IF that gauge tops 55 PSI your "Reducer" (Regulator) is a flow restrictor only.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
The restrictor control flow but not pressure....We had a restrictor and replaced it with a Watts regulator with a gauge. Problem solved.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #9

Ok ya all. I replaced the vacuum breaker on the toilet, we put a new water reducer with adjustment and gauge on . The toilet still is running. Someone mentioned a valve becoming weak. Which valve would that be?
please help or we are just gonna go buy a new toilet.
2bajabums is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water