Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2016, 05:44 PM   #1

We almost didn't make it but we're leaving tomorrow

We've had this Florida vacation planned for about 12 months. Our reservations were mostly made and everything that could be planned in advance was done. We still had to pack the RV as it had nothing but the dishes in it but we had that under control. Then at about 10 PM on Tuesday we got a call from our daughter that her house was on fire. Thankfully, they were all out. We went right over and stood watching while her beautiful home burned to the ground. As the fire was burning, my daughter stood there and said, "You're still going on your vacation." She worried about our vacation at such a stressful time. How could we leave her? Since Tuesday night, the whole family (2 adults and 3 kids) moved in with us. They had nothing but the PJs they were wearing when they fled the fire. Four nights later and believe it or not, we are packing the RV and leaving tomorrow morning. They worked so hard to get to a point where we could leave without feeling guilty. If you saw the RV, you would probably have a good laugh. We just got in from the cold and snow after literally throwing things into the RV. I've never been so disorganized but I'm so happy that it has worked out that I don't even care. I'm so proud of my daughter and her husband for making sure our trip was not interrupted. We're so lucky.
mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not good to read about, I hope all works out well for them.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:26 PM   #3

If your daughter's house is a total loss, there's not much you can do right now. They need to be left to deal with the insurance adjusters, etc. without distraction.

There will be a time when they'll need your assistance, however. In the meantime, they need everyone's prayers.

Go and enjoy your vacation and regroup in the Spring.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:21 PM   #4

You're exactly right Bamaman. My husband spent many years in the insurance business and he has been there to advise them these past few days. We don't have to be there right now. DH can speak with the adjuster if need be but they are doing fine on their own. The community has been awesome in providing support. I feel confident that they are on the right path and have lots of help. Tomorrow at 9 AM we'll
be on our way.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:06 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This story has bad news, and good news.

The bad news: Your daughter's house burned to the ground.
The Good News. She has a place to stay, at least for a time, while you "Vacate" your house on vacation...
The good News: You have a house sitter

The Good news: your husband is an expert at Insurance issues.

The Good news: your daughter HAS insurance.

So... Hopefully it will work out well in the end.

And even if you return before her house is rebuilt/replaced. perhaps you can continue to "Camp out" with the addition of a hookup for the RV for your house.

Also, chat with your husband the insurance expert on this. but .. In some cases the insurance will pay RENT for the displaced family while house is rebuilt.... No reason you should not get paid by the insurance co for the use of your house.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This story has bad news, and good news.

The bad news: Your daughter's house burned to the ground.
The Good News. She has a place to stay, at least for a time, while you "Vacate" your house on vacation...
The good News: You have a house sitter

The Good news: your husband is an expert at Insurance issues.

The Good news: your daughter HAS insurance.

So... Hopefully it will work out well in the end.

And even if you return before her house is rebuilt/replaced. perhaps you can continue to "Camp out" with the addition of a hookup for the RV for your house.

Also, chat with your husband the insurance expert on this. but .. In some cases the insurance will pay RENT for the displaced family while house is rebuilt.... No reason you should not get paid by the insurance co for the use of your house.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
So sorry about your daughter's house, but GOOD FOR YOU! It's great that you could work it out to leave!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:55 PM   #8

Great way to put things in perspective wa8yxm. Your advice about the insurance co paying rent while they are displaced is exactly what we have done. So far, the ins co has been great to my daughter. We hope it continues. Our first day of travel is over and it really feels great to to on the road again. Happy New Year everyone.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks. I have a bit of 2nd hand experience (Best kind to have) an acquaintance who was landlady to a friend. went home some years ago to find that there are still folks who make house calls in the city... The Fire Dept.. and they were calling.. House was NOT totaled (insurance rebuilt) but where as she and the cats got put up in a long term hotel type facility Her tenant was not so lucky. So I got paid to board the dog, and well.. My friend kind of worked for his room (he fixed a problem with a TV I did not even realize I had a problem with, but that was his field and he saw it.. I'm also trained in electronics,, but not specifically television).

All in all He and I are still friends.. he's now married to a very nice girl, She (His former landlady) is now married to a man .. I'm a tad concerned about (last I knew) but hey, that's not my problem.

Now I don't mind dealing with Firemen, but I prefer the Dispatcher kind to the lineman Kind.