Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #1

We Closed All Three Credit Reports - Easy and FREE

We have excellent credit and are retired and have no reason to apply for any new credit so in wake of all the credit scams and breaches of personal information we elected to deny access to our credit reports ....

Found this article and it had links to all three credit bureaus so we checked them out, filled out the short forms and took the identity test so as to verify it was really me (us wife did too) and closed all three credit accounts access .....

Best part besides peace of mind was it was super easy and FREE, we like FREE!

Here is the link:

How to Freeze Your Credit Report at TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian | Gen X Finance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #2

My first thought is that in some states your insurance company pulls a credit report. I am not sure how that would be affected.

PJStough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #3

Insurance can and will pull but the freeze will not effect with current companies only new ones but I also think the insurance industry has their own database they pull from ... Not sure but seems logical they would.

If that becomes issue with my insurance company I will cross that bridge when I come to it .... Protecting our personal credit is way more important than worrying about dealing with insurance company - our last claim was 1981 so we been good customers for years.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:09 AM   #4

I recently looked at my Transunion credit report, and it showed my insurance company did in fact check my credit report.
PJStough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
I would change insurance companies. This is what enables these credit giants to do what no one asked to be a part of, in the first place.

I've been with the same insurance company for at least 20 years, and never once have they needed a credit report to give me exceptional rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
I recently looked at my Transunion credit report, and it showed my insurance company did in fact check my credit report.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Agree, yes they can check - But I can grant access to any creditor / bank / insurance Company I deem necessary, yea takes a little time - effort but that time - effort not even close to what a hassle it would be if credit was stolen.

Another issue with stolen credit is some, but not all, local police wonít even get involved.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #7

I would seriously doubt that because you "closed" your credit that hackers can't still access it. Don't think they were allowed access to Equifax but they still got in...
Old 10-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We just changed insurance and they too checked our credit. Not sure why, since I paid in full. But, I was wondering about our credit card, since they will check our credit periodically. So I called the credit union that we have our card with and they said it will not have any effect on our account.

Thank you BraveWrigley for the info.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnitis View Post
I would change insurance companies. This is what enables these credit giants to do what no one asked to be a part of, in the first place.

I've been with the same insurance company for at least 20 years, and never once have they needed a credit report to give me exceptional rates.
And you know this how? Have you been checking your credit reports twice a year for the past 20 years?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
I would seriously doubt that because you "closed" your credit that hackers can't still access it. Don't think they were allowed access to Equifax but they still got in...
OK they can still get info but they wonít be able to use info to open any credit cards or other scams with any legit businesses ..... donít think I awake one day and find out Name / Credit has been used ....

So my choices are:

1. Let alone and do nothing and worry.
2. Hire monitoring agency which only lets me know if something happens.
3. Freeze Access from potential creditors / Insurance companies as well as thieves.

I elected to do number 3 ..... Anyone have any better ideas?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
We just changed insurance and they too checked our credit. Not sure why, since I paid in full. But, I was wondering about our credit card, since they will check our credit periodically. So I called the credit union that we have our card with and they said it will not have any effect on our account.

Thank you BraveWrigley for the info.
You are MOST Welcome and THANK YOU for the Thanks!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveWrigley View Post
We have excellent credit and are retired and have no reason to apply for any new credit so in wake of all the credit scams and breaches of personal information we elected to deny access to our credit reports ....

Found this article and it had links to all three credit bureaus so we checked them out, filled out the short forms and took the identity test so as to verify it was really me (us wife did too) and closed all three credit accounts access .....

Best part besides peace of mind was it was super easy and FREE, we like FREE!

Here is the link:

How to Freeze Your Credit Report at TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian | Gen X Finance
The link doesn't work for me!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #13

Insurance Companies check your credit report to determine the amount of risk to insure you.
My agent told me that people with bad credit also are prone to more claims.
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
The link doesn't work for me!

That is strange, I even went back to original search page and darn link timed out ... anyways here are the individual links

https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html#content-01

https://freeze.transunion.com/sf/sec...andingPage.jsp

https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freez...onalIDInfo.jsp

And here is another link to info on what Security freeze does:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...it-freeze-faqs