Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2019, 11:24 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Before you decide to stop RVing, ask yourself what will replace it in your life.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2019, 11:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Before you decide to stop RVing, ask yourself what will replace it in your life.

Good question... we’ve often thought we were not considering other traveling because we were always rolling in the MH. So now, we may travel less frequently, but we will hit those places we’ve always wanted to visit, Hawaii, Ireland, Portugal, etc..
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #17

I'm a few months away from 80 and we've been wandering about for the last 40+ years. I keep wondering when I will feel the same as the OP, but we're currently planning our 1-2 month summer trip from OR to WV, SC, AL and where ever else we choose to go.

I would be with those who suggest waiting for a while before selling the RV. I can understand your feeling because I usually feel pretty beat up when we get back, but haven't gotten to the point where I've considering selling the RV. Even after we can't make the long trips anymore there will (hopefully) be shorter trips we will still be able to make.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasOil View Post
Good question... we’ve often thought we were not considering other traveling because we were always rolling in the MH. So now, we may travel less frequently, but we will hit those places we’ve always wanted to visit, Hawaii, Ireland, Portugal, etc..
Yup, those locations are not ideal to drive your motorhome to....

1998 Georgie Boy Swinger/2005 Jeep Liberty
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rjreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to OP for musing online. I enjoyed hearing different takes. And it was a reminder again of how we're all a little different while still being similar
Old 03-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #20

My husband and I are 65 and 63. Just sold our home and will be hitting the road as soon as we close at the end of April. We have the same concerns about weather. I am convinced we are in a cycle of change, and not for the better. Record heat, record cold, record winds ... not to mention the yearly wildfires and mudslides. It’s the biggest concern we have at this point. Yes we have wheels and can move but sometimes things are not even forecasted. We will have to learn to be uber-vigilant about watching weather.
Zoomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
After reading this I also have the same feelings. I am 83 and the wife 80, I have breathing problems and I am not able to do very much and what I do it takes a while. Yes it is now harder to get reservations, a lot more people camping. Yes there is much more traffic and when you get older you don't deal with traffic as well. But you know if we didn't camp we would not do anything but set and look at four wall and wait to die. So we are going to try as long as we can. I let God show me the way.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #22

If the economist's predictions are correct, there is another down turn headed our way which will throw the brakes on the RV industry again. Campgrounds will start being free'd up as travel will decline for many.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyjudy View Post
After reading this I also have the same feelings. I am 83 and the wife 80, I have breathing problems and I am not able to do very much and what I do it takes a while. Yes it is now harder to get reservations, a lot more people camping. Yes there is much more traffic and when you get older you don't deal with traffic as well. But you know if we didn't camp we would not do anything but set and look at four wall and wait to die. So we are going to try as long as we can. I let God show me the way.
Wondering how long you've been RVing. I assume, from what you wrote, it is fulltime?

We still feel the way you do with regard to wanting to travel as long as we can. It's a way of travel that can't be duplicated in any other way. For us, after 2 years of fulltime, it seemed that a home base would meets some needs that we were discovering as we traveled.

Fulltime sticks & bricks does sound like waiting to die these days. I guess most of us get to that point some day but we aren't there yet.

So looking forward to closing on our new (to us) home but also future (part-time) travel.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:42 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
If the economist's predictions are correct, there is another down turn headed our way which will throw the brakes on the RV industry again. Campgrounds will start being free'd up as travel will decline for many.
Thinking about the same reports, my thought was that the value of older rigs will increase as people stop buying them new.

We've only been fulltime for 2 years and I am amazed at how many people we met who are a couple months to a year into fulltime and/or trying to sell their houses to change from parttime to fulltime. I don't think the numbers are going to decrease any time soon.

Some campgrounds are updating facilities. Other places we've traveled, "neighbors" are saying NIMBY and protesting people wanted to put in a new campground, and some campgrounds are selling out (i.e. Chula Vista in CA) because the real estate is too valuable for a CG.

Therefore, even if things change over time, I don't expect it in the near future.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:05 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Doc when is the rally at Mayberry? We spend the summer just up the road in Galax.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We started RVing acouple of years before we retired when I was 63. No we are not full time, we own a home and belong to a camping club that camps in the winter months ( we are in Florida), the in the summer we usually go on a trip that lasts for about 2 1/2 months, we camp near our son in Nashville and then are able to spend time with him on the weekends. He also has a RV.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #27
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gramps- View Post
Doc when is the rally at Mayberry? We spend the summer just up the road in Galax.
I believe we will be there on May 2 and leave on May 6. If you have never been there, it is a fun and interesting area. We will be reuniting with some old friends and hoping to make new friends.
If you can make it, give them a call for reservations and come on down. Love to meet you guys
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyjudy View Post
We started RVing acouple of years before we retired when I was 63. No we are not full time, we own a home and belong to a camping club that camps in the winter months ( we are in Florida), the in the summer we usually go on a trip that lasts for about 2 1/2 months, we camp near our son in Nashville and then are able to spend time with him on the weekends. He also has a RV.
Do you have someone who watches your home while you're away?

Tags
rving