Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2009, 09:50 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
There are quite a few lots that are for sale, but not many for a large MH. I was in the Keys last August and just driving around with DW on a rainy day in Marathon. We drove through a park called Key RV. We did not know it at the time, but it had gone condo in 2006-7, just before the real estate crash. When it went Condo, the existing lot renters were allowed to buy the lot they were on for a pretty good price. Many bought, and several investors bought several lots hoping to cash in on the real estate craze.

The lot I bought was the largest in the Park, right next to the ocean and had not been rented by anybody when they went condo. As I understand it, many wanted to buy it, but they could not decide who had the right to buy it, so it sat. I here that people being people, they sued each other and the outcome was to put it on the open market. They were asking $150K and it just sat there, I saw it that day and made a very low offer ($75K), and I guess they had seller fatigue and just said yes.

Many of the RV Parks in the Keys were purchased by Developers to turn into resorts with regular condos and such. When the market fizzled, there were far fewer places to park an RV and many closed parks. Right now with the down economy it seems that the number of spaces available exceed the demand. When the economy improves, I expect that to change.

One of the investors purchase a track of land along side one end of the park and resold additional footage to the existing lot owners giving them larger lots. With zoning being what it is in the Keys, no one knows if the larger lots will help with the setback regulations. Currently there are about 10 lots that will tightly fit a 40 foot MH in length and they are 30 foot wide. They are asking $100-$125K, but they have not sold and probably will not sell at that price. I doubt the market will come back in several years to justify that asking price.

The park was an old seasonal rental park and many of the trailers are the old style with added illegal porches and such. It is not everyones cup of tea. I happen to be attracted to the colorful people in the Keys and enjoy it very much. The park has evolved into some locals because it is cheap housing for the Keys, investors waiting out the market and snowbirds that enjoy the weather and fishing. They are a very good group of people from all backgrounds.

If you are familiar with the Keys, there are the "camping" parks, snowbird parks and Blue Water Key ($500-$1,000K). A decent seasonal rental lot in the Keys is still about $7-$8K for 5 months in the winter. At the price I paid, I could not resist the purchase option. Below are some of the pictures of the park. The upper one on the right is my lot, the one on the upper left is looking out at the ocean from our lot. The bottom is the shed I had built for the lot (kind of Keezy).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	546981_6.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	2180   Click image for larger version

Name:	546981_5.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	2181  

Name:	546981_3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	2182   Click image for larger version

Name:	546981_4.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	2183  

Name:	Keys Shed 006.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	2186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Keys Shed 002.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	2187  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2010, 01:53 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
My one current passion is fighting against people or companies that abuse or take advantage of Seniors. I am looking into ways that being a Professional Pain In The Butt can benefit those in need of someone to fight the fight they are not capable of fighting themselves.
You would be surprised what a Pain you can be with a lot of free time!
NOOOO-I am not surprised! Happy Birthday, Jim! I almost PMed you a little less than 24 hours ago to say so...but it did not feel right...This thread feels right! The sincerest of birthday wishes along with Congratulations to you and Kay are in order

Good luck with your newest life change!!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:24 AM   #17

jim, congradulations on everything and happy birthday! after reading these last posts of yours i can't believe how much your lives have paralleled ours. we also sold a business in 97 goofed off for about 4 yrs and went back at it. the morale of this story is we now live in michigan again so let us know when you will be here and maybe we can share some stories. we will be in fla. feb,march and april. jim & sue
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:37 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
G'morning Jim & Kay:

It's New Years morning here near Tampa and I'm just putzin around the forums, listening to the thunder and nice rain on the roof of our rig. Stumbled into your..."We retired again today"...post and was wondering what "business" you folks were in prior to first retirement,....and what "business" did ya start up and retire from the second time? Not prying,...just curious.

When we were down staying at Bluewater I think ya mentioned your place was up at Marathon. Didn't know ya also had sticks & bricks, thought ya just had a lot. So, how tough (other that cost) is it to find and get into, that is, to buy an RV lot down in the Keys, and/or a sticks & bricks that has a spot for parking your RV??

Ya mentioned you'll be looking for something to... "keep your interest up and stimulate my (your) brain" during this new retirement. Other that "fighting against people or companies that abuse or take advantage of Seniors", (kinda a Progressivesque way of putting it), WHAT other kinds of things do ya think might be of interest to you as ya travel around???

Steve & Lynette
Old 01-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
My DW and I retired the first time on December 31, 1997 (Me 47 DW 51). We sold it all, full timed and traveled the entire country. As time wore on, we had fewer places to travel and less people to meet. We were younger than most and I needed the stimulation of new faces and old stories to fill my days. It lasted for 3.5 years and I got bored so we started a new business in 2001 and left the road.

About a year ago (my second mid-life crisis), I asked my DW what she wanted to do with the rest of our lives. Without hesitation, she said she wanted to go back to the MH life and travel again, it was the best time of her life. It was time to do it again before we were too old, so today we closed on the sale of our business.

What we learned the first time was that there is a right time in everyone's life that wants to be a full time RVer. For us it was too soon and the wrong way. The first time, we were too young and both needed to have something more permanent in our lives, we actually needed a purpose.

We have no children and due to my many years of relocations for business, had very few really close friends. The constant moving also left us with good but not close family ties. We both left our family homes and locations at young ages and never lived by either family as adults. Our business had become my purpose.

Well, it was time for me to make my wife Kay my purpose in life and grant her the life she longed for. This time, we are keeping the sticks and bricks and will travel part of the year and spend time the rest of the year split between our sticks and bricks and our RV Lot in the Florida Keys. I will be looking for something to keep my interest up and stimulate my brain.

Thanks to all of you for letting me participate here and for getting me back in the spirit of the road. We hope to see many of you on the road and look forward to more good times in the RV lifestyle!

Jim & Kay Stewart, Retired!
Jim & Kay congradulations, I just joined your club 2 weeks ago. Hope to see you on the road.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:29 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
NOOOO-I am not surprised! Happy Birthday, Jim! I almost PMed you a little less than 24 hours ago to say so...but it did not feel right...This thread feels right! The sincerest of birthday wishes along with Congratulations to you and Kay are in order

Good luck with your newest life change!!

Thanks Mom, and I do feel a year older! I sold our business, retired and had abirthday all on the same day!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjim View Post
jim, congradulations on everything and happy birthday! after reading these last posts of yours i can't believe how much your lives have paralleled ours. we also sold a business in 97 goofed off for about 4 yrs and went back at it. the morale of this story is we now live in michigan again so let us know when you will be here and maybe we can share some stories. we will be in fla. feb,march and april. jim & sue

What are you doing to keep busy now, and where in Michigan?
Old 01-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
G'morning Jim & Kay:

It's New Years morning here near Tampa and I'm just putzin around the forums, listening to the thunder and nice rain on the roof of our rig. Stumbled into your..."We retired again today"...post and was wondering what "business" you folks were in prior to first retirement,....and what "business" did ya start up and retire from the second time? Not prying,...just curious.

When we were down staying at Bluewater I think ya mentioned your place was up at Marathon. Didn't know ya also had sticks & bricks, thought ya just had a lot. So, how tough (other that cost) is it to find and get into, that is, to buy an RV lot down in the Keys, and/or a sticks & bricks that has a spot for parking your RV??

Ya mentioned you'll be looking for something to... "keep your interest up and stimulate my (your) brain" during this new retirement. Other that "fighting against people or companies that abuse or take advantage of Seniors", (kinda a Progressivesque way of putting it), WHAT other kinds of things do ya think might be of interest to you as ya travel around???

Steve & Lynette
The first time around I jointly owned a Medical Distribution and Service Company. We sold everything including the equipment used in Radiology Departments and had 13 offices in 3 States out West. We sold it to a publicly held company.

The second time, we started a Private Duty Home Care Company. We provided private duty care for Seniors that did not want to go into Nursing Homes or Assisted Living Facilities. We also provided care for people on Hospice.

See my post above for the story of buying the lot in the Keys, to get a sticks and bricks to store a MH is easier than you think in Florida. There are many "Port" home communities where you can have a small house that is built around the concept of an RV. Most if not all of the other residences will be people that have an RV and the place to store it.

We do not keep the MH at the Sticks and Bricks that's in Melbourne Beach. We live in a gated community and if I leave it here more than overnight, the Board's shorts start to bunch.

Many people think we are a little crazy when we tell them we have 2 places in Florida. We just did not want to give up the sticks and bricks this time, but did want to spend time in the Keys. The cost of what we bought in the Keys made finaincial sense based on the cost of seasonal renting. If we are coming back to the sticks and bricks from the Keys for a few days, we just drive the Toad back and leave the MH there.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Congratulations on your New Retirement and for a long, safe and healthy future ahead for both of you!

I too tried to retire a second time back in 2003 when I left the film industry in Hollywood after spending 10 years in CA (first time from Kodak in Rochester, NY - 31 years). At that time I had a 1992 Airstream Landyacht ready to travel the country. One week into preparing to leave, UCLA Film & TV Archive called to see if I would be interested in building them a film preservation & restoration laboratory for their archive and to staff and manage it. After 3 months of discussion and having them offer me a package that I couldn't turn down, 5 years later I am still here in CA. However, once I had my 5 years in at UCLA and receiving yet another full retirement package, I knew it was time to split and get on the road. Not getting any younger ya know! I have been spending the past months preparing the "stuff" we have accumulated in the last 5 years and getting things ready to leave for Alaska next May.

This time, I am officially retired, well at least from the film business, and looking forward to seeing North America from the road instead of from a plane. Depending on destinations, what will keep me busy are part-time positions and volunteering.

Good luck to you both! Hopefully our paths will cross someday and will get to meet in person.

Best to you!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #24

jim, we live in oscoda mi. and own a bar and grill. thats the business we have been in for 35 yrs between mi. and fl. and back to mi. then back to fla. then back to mi again. i guess we just can't make up our minds
really love mi. but shure am looking forward to fla. in feb,march and april. jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #25

Jim, thanks for the info and neat pictures - after my previous post here, I did a search on RV lots in the Florida Keys, and got some good info and insights as to what's available, and at what cost - yours was a definite bargain!

Congratulations again!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
this must be the month for selling...sold mine 12-30-09..hope you enjoy the lot it looks really nice...The south west is our choice for winter but will keep the stick and bricks in NH..too nice a place in the summer plus still have eastern Canada to check out some more..
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #27
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I retired in 2005 on January 1st, so been there and done that!

Congratulations and have a blast!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Congratulations to you both on your second retirement. I enjoy your posts and hope you continue to be active on the boards here. This thread has brought back so many memories.

I had to let you know that our situation also mirrors yours in many ways. We are in our second retirement, the first being when I was 28 and DH was 38. We had sold our business and properties in 1985 and traveled in our 5th wheel for about 6 years, the last 2 years of it spent at the Key RV Park, mm 50. We were on the side opposite the boat ramp, quite a ways closer to the ocean. We built a dock for our boats and loved it there. But we also had an undeveloped lot in a great park in AZ and missed certain things (family, AZ, business, etc.) and moved back to AZ. As soon as we left the Keys we missed it terribly. We are now 2 years into our second retirement, still have our home in AZ, love traveling in our motorhome, know what we want to do now, and don't plan to ever go back to work.

Thank you for the photos and for bringing back some fantastic memories.

GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote