Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2009, 01:23 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
We retired again today!

My DW and I retired the first time on December 31, 1997 (Me 47 DW 51). We sold it all, full timed and traveled the entire country. As time wore on, we had fewer places to travel and less people to meet. We were younger than most and I needed the stimulation of new faces and old stories to fill my days. It lasted for 3.5 years and I got bored so we started a new business in 2001 and left the road.

About a year ago (my second mid-life crisis), I asked my DW what she wanted to do with the rest of our lives. Without hesitation, she said she wanted to go back to the MH life and travel again, it was the best time of her life. It was time to do it again before we were too old, so today we closed on the sale of our business.

What we learned the first time was that there is a right time in everyone's life that wants to be a full time RVer. For us it was too soon and the wrong way. The first time, we were too young and both needed to have something more permanent in our lives, we actually needed a purpose.

We have no children and due to my many years of relocations for business, had very few really close friends. The constant moving also left us with good but not close family ties. We both left our family homes and locations at young ages and never lived by either family as adults. Our business had become my purpose.

Well, it was time for me to make my wife Kay my purpose in life and grant her the life she longed for. This time, we are keeping the sticks and bricks and will travel part of the year and spend time the rest of the year split between our sticks and bricks and our RV Lot in the Florida Keys. I will be looking for something to keep my interest up and stimulate my brain.

Thanks to all of you for letting me participate here and for getting me back in the spirit of the road. We hope to see many of you on the road and look forward to more good times in the RV lifestyle!

Jim & Kay Stewart, Retired!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jim,

Doing noting is hard work. You never know when you are finished.

Happy trails.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Congratulations Jim & Kay! Sounds like a great plan. So where's you first trip going to be?
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Back to the Keys, but the first traveling trip will be up to visit family next summer in Indiana and Michigan and then across the country ending up in New Mexico for the Balloon Fiesta. While there, we are going to go through the 7,000 lbs. of stuff we have had in storage since 1997 when we retired the first time. Kay wants about 500 lbs. worth of stuff and we will give the rest away.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Good goin'! I hope you will stay active in the IRV2 Forums. I always enjoy your posts... Your input has helped me several times.

All the best to you and your wife.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:05 PM   #6

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Jim, with your knowledge and knack for doing things I'll bet there are many volunteer opportunities that will keep you on the road and your mind and body occupied.
Keep us informed.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:09 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My one current passion is fighting against people or companies that abuse or take advantage of Seniors. I am looking into ways that being a Professional Pain In The Butt can benefit those in need of someone to fight the fight they are not capable of fighting themselves.

You would be surprised what a Pain you can be with a lot of free time!
Old 12-31-2009, 03:17 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Maybe a Sr. Citizens' Advocate ... Be it either way I wish you all safe travels and smooth roads. I knew when to hang the gun & badge up. Only the persons affected have a say in the matter. Too often folks wait too long to do what they want to.
Good Luck...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:46 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Jim;

I just love your new job, that of being a Professional Pain in the Butt. Good luck in all your future travels and adventures. Now, if only I could convince the DW to give up the stick house and hit the road...........

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:56 PM   #10

My father in law took on that job LONG before he retired! : > )
Old 12-31-2009, 07:12 PM   #11

I understand! Good luck this time around as a retryee
Moto
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:32 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you one and all!

Jim
Old 12-31-2009, 08:12 PM   #13

GOOD for you Jim - and like others, I sure hope you maintain your presence here on the board - you're a valuable asset to us ALL!

I'm very curious as to your RV lot in the Keys - are they hard to obtain - expensive? If you feel OK about sharing info, I'd like to hear more, maybe even a few pics? We traveled the keys a few Christmases back, I really love Florida during the Winter season - but dunno if we'll manage to get back there again or not...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:39 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Many happy days as "a pain in the butt". I really thought that was my profession. At least that's what the kids said. Ed