Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2016, 09:24 PM   #1

Weighing your class A motorhome

What is the process to weigh your motorhome at a Pilot or Loves truck stop?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 09:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troysmith View Post
What is the process to weigh your motorhome at a Pilot or Loves truck stop?
Just pull onto scales and operator should talk to you via squawk box. They allege that they can weigh the entire rig and each axle in one fell swoop. Costs about 10 bucks. Good luck and happy camping.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:33 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
When weighing your motorhome it is important that you get the weights for each individual tire location. On a two axle rig, such as a Class C, you need four weights while on a larger rig with a tag axle you need six weights.

For you first weigh-in a commercial scale, where neither you nor the scale operator may be familiar with your needs, might not be the best approach. When we started we had our rig weighed at a FMCA rally where RV weight veterans gave us tips on doing it all correctly and even provided the correct tire pressures afterwards. I have since joined the Escapees group and I get my coach re-weighed annually at one of the facilities capable of doing weight checks. Escapees will also check your height so you can record it on a dash sticker for a fast reference before creeping under a low fuel station canopy.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:13 PM   #4

I would not attempt this if you're at a busy stop. It's going to tie up the scales much longer than normal, where just a few seconds are all that's required.

While pulling on to the scales, you'll see multiple "tables". Each is capable of providing a weight. So pull up, usually far enough where your driver's window is about even with that squawk box that's nearly impossible to understand if your hearing isn't perfect. Get out of the coach and confirm your axles are each on a table, and not on a seam between 2 tables.

Go inside and get your first weight slip. While paying, tell the attendant you want to do a "re-weigh". You're going to weigh the coach a second time. (3 bucks I think)

Go back outside, climb in your rig, pull off the scales (forward, they frown on you backing up). Go around and while pulling back on the second time, notice there is a solid "safety zone" on each side of the scale tables. When pulling up onto the scales this second time, pull the drivers side wheels over on to that safety zone, so the scales only have the weight of the passenger side wheels on them. Have somebody in your party guide you if this makes you nervous (driving off the side of the scales would be embarrassing!). Confirm you have an axle on 2 different "tables".

Now go back inside for your second weight slip.

Go back out and clear the scales, pull of into a corner somewhere, and do some math. You should easily arrive at a total weight, front and rear axle weights, and by subtracting the second time axle weights (which are only one side), from the first time, you'll have your individual corner weights.

Hint: the attendant will be absolutely clueless regarding what you're doing. Don't even ask for help.....

Best of luck.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:58 PM   #5

I assume that if you're towing a vehicle that it should be disconnected prior to driving onto the scales?
Barmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #6

If you are towing 4 down with no significant tongue weight, it would be your option. If tongue weight is an issue, and you don't want it included as part of your rear axle or corner weights, then sure, drop it first.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #7

I use a towbar so nothing is in the hitch receiver and no weight from the toad on the MH. Thanks.
Barmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #8

Like this
how to: weigh a motorhome
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
I use a towbar so nothing is in the hitch receiver and no weight from the toad on the MH. Thanks.
I should have said "your option" - as long as the toad is not on the same segment/table as the rear axle of the MH. Not hard to execute - just something to keep in mind when positioning the MH on the scales.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:07 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I do somewhat similar to ahicks, with a couple differences.

The CAT scales I've been at have posts on the side up by the first 'plate', which prevents me from being off scale on the side (you'd run into the posts). So I use the 2nd and 3rd plate to do my weighings, and walk up to the post to hit the call button telling the guy to take a reading.

I take my first reading with the right tires off scale and measuring the left side, then on the re-weigh I put the left tires off scale and measure the right side.

They always ask for the company when you hit the call button, I just say "Dave"

Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, motorhome