Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Thank you! It's nice to know I'm not the only one.
You're not the only TWO. I agree and really hate reading messages which clearly reflect no pride or even interest in making the message easy to read and comprehend.

Lack of punctuation, including the use of paragraphs, is at the top of my list.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #16

I just figure that they're basically illiterate, and just move on without commenting, even if I have something relevant to add.

What I am reading in some of the above is, basically, "Proper use of the English language is doomed, and you better get used to it".

Sad world into which we're evolving, where nothing much matters.

The closer one is to the leading edge, the more likely one is to be nicked by it.

Pop
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Some people just can't type, even though they can speak and spell, it would take them too long.

Some people learned to type with their thumbs.

Some just think it's 'cool'.

Some people worry too much.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #18

Didn't say I replied, after I did figure out what their problem was.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #19

HALF DIME - WHAT DO U DO IN UR SPARE TIME?!!

jpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #20
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
Nope. Not a teacher. I was just raised in a time when people were taught to take pride in their written communication and make it easy for others to understand.

Exactly and well stated. It is unfortunate that a noticeable number of people today have such difficulty in writing their ideas so the average person can understand what they are saying. Did they not learn anything in school or were they not taught? Any posts that I come across that are are challenging to read because of poor writing skills are usually ignored.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
My mother was an English teacher. One can likely guess into which camp I would fall.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #22

Think about context please ladies and gentlemen. I certainly agree that a business letter should contain proper grammar and spelling. Legal documents are written in a jargon all their own as are many texts. Friendly notes are another unique form.

I consider a text a brief missile directed to convey meaning as concisely as possible, sometimes sacrificing the rules and syntax of proper English, not unlike a telegram? So, there is a precedent for writing awkwardly. Now we are all dealing with the correct form of our language in electronic data.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
I consider a text a brief missile directed to convey meaning as concisely as possible.....
With as few characters as possible? Yes. As concisely as possible? Hardly! If the reader must struggle to decipher the meaning of a missive, it isn't communicated concisely.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
Nope. Not a teacher. I was just raised in a time when people were taught to take pride in their written communication and make it easy for others to understand.
I am in agreement with you. Our written and spoken communication is extremely poor. Have you noticed the poorly written newspaper items.
I am disappointed at those who have posted, that our written communication doesn't matter as long as we can disearn the message. I do not agree. We have a standard and lets use it.
Many of us have lamented about the poor build quality of our motor coaches. What we experience with that issue is exactly what is happening with the written word!
We can and should do better.
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #25

I was tempted to offer free keyboards, with functioning comma and period keys, but soon realized that I would have to take out a 2nd mortgage to do so.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #26

Quote:
I consider a text a brief missile directed to convey meaning as concisely as possible, sometimes sacrificing the rules and syntax of proper English, not unlike a telegram? So, there is a precedent for writing awkwardly. Now we are all dealing with the correct form of our language in electronic data.
Telegrams at least have a "Stop" at the end of a sentence.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGeo View Post
I am in agreement with you. Our written and spoken communication is extremely poor. Have you noticed the poorly written newspaper items.
I am disappointed at those who have posted, that our written communication doesn't matter as long as we can disearn the message. I do not agree. We have a standard and lets use it.
Many of us have lamented about the poor build quality of our motor coaches. What we experience with that issue is exactly what is happening with the written word!
We can and should do better.
It's spelled Discern.
jpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Think about context please ladies and gentlemen. I certainly agree that a business letter should contain proper grammar and spelling. Legal documents are written in a jargon all their own as are many texts. Friendly notes are another unique form.

I don't disagree with anything you've said here, Mick. However, you've defended the use of cryptic writing for texting and the title of the thread is that we are NOT "tweeting" here... with the implication being that we should take more care in communicating via the forum than we do when tweeting.

I also think that those who have implied that the OP has too much time on his hands to be worried about such things (or challenge the grammar in my reply ) are missing the point. IMO, if someone wants to post a question asking for help, it is in their best interest to be as clear as possible in their written communications. The issue is one of clarity and not insistence on only using perfect grammar, spelling, punctuation, and syntax.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote