Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #1

Were You Raised This Way???

My parents spanked me as child

As a result
I now suffer from a psychological
Condition known as, "Respect for others"
SonnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyB View Post
My parents spanked me as child

As a result
I now suffer from a psychological
Condition known as, "Respect for others"
Yes sir
bulldog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2,X2
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Still today Mr & Mrs......untill/unless told otherwise..........(Elders) and it is just plain coming to a end now......due to my age
Old 01-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes Sir! If my mother or father ever saw or heard me disrespect or back talk, off came the belt and it always seemed to find my rear end. They didn't believe in time outs. It was swift justice. Now don't get me wrong I earned those spankings and they didn't give them for free. My kids have earned a few themselves.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #6

Folks, these comments are very saddening. I was never smacked as a child, and my wife and I have raised four children the same way. They have all turned into caring and respectful adults.

The world has too much violence in it. Some people might think it's OK and desirable to smack children....but all that does it teach them that if you are bigger and stronger, violence is acceptable. It's not. If we wish to have a more peaceful world, it starts at home.....

Respectfully,
Nick B
Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:10 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Yup. Me too!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
Folks, these comments are very saddening. I was never smacked as a child, and my wife and I have raised four children the same way. They have all turned into caring and respectful adults.

The world has too much violence in it. Some people might think it's OK and desirable to smack children....but all that does it teach them that if you are bigger and stronger, violence is acceptable. It's not. If we wish to have a more peaceful world, it starts at home.....

Respectfully,
Nick B
While I don't disagree with the gist of your comments and respect them, I believe there is a big difference between abusing or hurting children and spanking. When I look back I fully understand what my parents were trying to teach me and know that any time I was disciplined it was for good reason. To this day even though I am 65 years old it is engrained in me to refer to my elders as Mr. and Mrs.... although I'm often the elder in most situations now
Eagles16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:50 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yep. I still hold the door for people, let ladies go first, say please and thank you, yes/no mam/sir.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:03 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I was spanked as a child....so I thought that I should make my children fear me and my wrath as a parent.
Now I regret every time I resorted to physical punishment to my children.
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:28 PM   #11

I taught high school Biology for over 3 decades. Over that time I had a brazillion parent conferences. It wasn't so much how the parents disciplined their kids, but that they did. Far, far too many just didn't. I cannot tell you how often I had to explain to parents that their job was to be the parent. Not to be the friend. Kids need boundaries and are inherently comforted when they know what they are and what to expect. Physically abusing a child is obviously illegal and wrong. Immediately identifying inappropriate or unacceptable behavior in conjunction with a disciplinary action that actively discourages a repeat of the action - remember a child's brain doesn't necessarily identity cause and effect the way an adult mind should - is the job of a parent. I obviously never spanked my students, but I had many parents ask why their kids did what I said and not what they, the parent said. Set the boundaries. Enforce them.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:46 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog2 View Post
Yes sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV LYONS View Post
X2,X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Still today Mr & Mrs......untill/unless told otherwise..........(Elders) and it is just plain coming to a end now......due to my age

I don't think children today are taught the meaning of respect your elders.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Young kid's and dog's = Reflection of their Parent/owner.........knowing "only" what they are taught.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrose44 View Post
I was spanked as a child....so I thought that I should make my children fear me and my wrath as a parent.
Now I regret every time I resorted to physical punishment to my children.
I spanked my children, infrequently and against my wife's wishes, but I did. Little children do not understand respect, but they do get fear. The threat of a spanking, with the occasional follow-thru was enough to maintain discipline.

As they got older and reason took over, methods needed to change. I promised them that I would not hit them as long as they respected me. Then that fear of spanking became fear of disappointment. That is what maintained discipline. Punishment was rarely necessary because they knew the rules, and the respect went both ways. When the rules were broken, all that was usually necessary was a discussion, and our disapproval carried more weight than any "beating" could.

My boys are now 32, 30 & 26 and they love me and my DW more than I could ever hope for. I think that they are some of the finest people that I know. Of course, it doesn't hurt to tell them that once in a while too.