Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
We had this in Hong Kong (where I lived for most of my teenage years, and again for 5 years as an adult) and it was truly a joy to live the health care system there -> clear pricing on every procedure (printed directly on their website, or you could go get a brochure from the hospital) and options (Public Hospitals -> good ones too) for those who couldn't afford private care. Since everything was public knowledge competition between hospitals was strong. I used both systems (private and public) when we lived there. My sister-in-law gave birth at the public hospital and recieved excellent care. I don't know if such a system would work in a bigger and more complex economy such as the US, but I sure miss the simplicity of it.
were the public facilites run by the government? Our county health departments used to see patients(treating the common cold, etc...) but funding went away and now the hospital emergency rooms see everyone. This cost taxpayers a lot more than the helath departments used to. maybe we should bring back county health departments?
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #58

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Oh agreed....and I should add I'm not advocating anyone should forgo insurance. I have a high-deductable insurance ("catastrohpic" if you will), which means I pay a significant amount of my bills out of pocket before insurance kicks in, and I generally prefer not to involve the insurance at all unless I can avoid it (simply to avoid insurance premium hits). SO out of pocket costs and insurance versus non-insurance prices are a big deal to me. Despite the $$ I pay for services it is still cheaper for me to go that route (pay out of pocket cash pricing and have a high-deductable insurance as back-up) rather than pay for a low-deductable insurance (i.e. one that covers more services). Cost differences are enormous over time.
When I worked at Hubbell Special Products, I paid $120 a month for 80% coverage for a family of 4. When I didnt work there any more and needed coverage, COBRA was over $1200 a month and BC/BS 'catastrophic' coverage for 6 months just on the wife and kids was $1250... Who said employer paid insurance was outta reach?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by menoble View Post
In my particular case, because I am a participant in my companies' plan and because I'm footing the bill, I want the best deal out there. I can use my group's clout to shop for the most affordable plan with the best benefits for all of us, and I also evaluate competitive quotes to verify I'm getting the most bang for my buck.
Indeed. I understood the value of group plans when we went from working in a company to being out on our own. Company (groups) are able to negotaite much, much better insurance plan deals than individuals. Generally coverage is better and more comprehensive at a cheaper price...."buying in bulk" if you will. Paying for individual insurance is the absolute worst deal out there.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
When I worked at Hubbell Special Products, I paid $120 a month for 80% coverage for a family of 4. When I didnt work there any more and needed coverage, COBRA was over $1200 a month and BC/BS 'catastrophic' coverage for 6 months just on the wife and kids was $1250... Who said employer paid insurance was outta reach?
That seems amazing. As an individual who has done alot of shopping around my high-deductable plan is the best deal (by a long-shot) that I can get. For a "regular" very, very basic plan I'd be paying around >$600/mo for both of us. My high-deductable plan costs us $150/mo (both of us combined) PLUS we get the major tax benefits of a HSA.

When I worked coverage was better...
Old 06-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post
were the public facilites run by the government? Our county health departments used to see patients(treating the common cold, etc...) but funding went away and now the hospital emergency rooms see everyone. This cost taxpayers a lot more than the helath departments used to. maybe we should bring back county health departments?
I believe they are government-run or at least heavily government subsidized. There are 41 public hospitals and 12 private.

Didn't know about the old health departments. Too bad funding was dropped. Emergency room treatment is outrageously expensive in the US. I've found walk-in clinics are much cheaper here.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
No problem.. St. Joseph Hosp in Plymouth, In.

Yes, total bill.. and no, she's on her own plan through work..
Left a message. We'll see when they get back to me.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #63

The solution is pretty simple....Two Tiered Public / Private System.

Tier 1- Is a Public "universal" single payer "no frills" system in which everyone, regardless of circumstance, is covered & is funded through the overall tax code. Basic care and may include wait list(s) for non emergency procedures. This keeps the Liberals happy & is just the "right" thing to do! Similar in nature to virtually all modern industrialized countries in the World.

Tier 2- Is a Private " insurance" program which puts the "frills" into the system. No waiting, private rooms, etc. & is funded by the Individual or as a Company benefit. Private health care providers "compete" for your business & this keeps the Conservatives happy! You don't want it....no problem....go buy a new jet ski...just don't complain when you wait 10 months for the shoulder surgery you need as a result of falling off your jet ski?

Your welcome.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #64

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
The solution is pretty simple....Two Tiered Public / Private System.

Tier 1- Is a Public "universal" single payer "no frills" system in which everyone, regardless of circumstance, is covered & is funded through the overall tax code. Basic care and may include wait list(s) for non emergency procedures. This keeps the Liberals happy & is just the "right" thing to do! Similar in nature to virtually all modern industrialized countries in the World.

Tier 2- Is a Private " insurance" program which puts the "frills" into the system. No waiting, private rooms, etc. & is funded by the Individual or as a Company benefit. Private health care providers "compete" for your business & this keeps the Conservatives happy! You don't want it....no problem....go buy a new jet ski...just don't complain when you wait 10 months for the shoulder surgery you need as a result of falling off your jet ski?

Your welcome.
Canada?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVluvin View Post
For those of us still in the workforce, why does the employer choose the medical insurance company? They don't subsidize or choose my auto insurance.
Many companies self insure and only use an outside company such as BCBS for Administrative Services Only (ASO) to process the claims.

Some (fewer and fewer) pay 100% of the cost of medical insurance for their employees so they have the right to pick the provider. Others pay as some (80% in some cases) portion of the total premium. As an example when my wife was working "our" monthly premium was around $200. When she quit and we converted to COBRA and thus had to pick up the entire load, it went to $850.

If they gave you the subsidy and you then went and got your own policy you would not be part of a group, would not get group rates, and would most likely be subject to underwriting rules. A lot bigger chance of being denied coverage. And I'm not sure how that subsidy would be taxed. Would be income to you?

Just be careful what you ask for it may be worse than what you have now.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #66

Quote:
My high-deductable plan costs us $150/mo (both of us combined) PLUS we get the major tax benefits of a HSA.

When I worked coverage was better...
Could you PM me with who your carrier is? Thanks

Old 06-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #67

One more thing... The US is THE incubator for medical devices, medicine, medical procedures, Doctor education, and much more. One of my concerns if we go the Tier 1 plan is that this will greatly reduce the incentives for companies to invest in new ideas, new devices.

Virtually all modern industrialized countries in the world look to the U.S. for advancements in medicine and medical devices. (And just about everything else for that matter) Then they go and make them less expensive.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #68

Quote:
Canada?
Mexico
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad

Could you PM me with who your carrier is? Thanks
Sure. I"m happy to post it. We use Coventry and are based in South Dakota. We got the insurance through ehealthinsurance.com. It's nationwide.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #70

Problem is with Tier 1, the government can't run anything well or effectively.