Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2015, 05:40 AM   #1

What am I missing?

So in visiting this and other forums to learn about new 2 me MH I see these post about winterizing, drain this out, blow this, put the pink stuff in.

What am I missing are these not motor homes and travel trailers if it gets too cold are you not suppose to go south or farther south?

I live in north Fl. and am ready to go south low 30's middle 40's just too cold brr.......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2015, 06:02 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just have your heat on and maybe fill water tank for water and maybe shut off outside water line unless you have it heat wrapped.
You will warm up before us up north its just a reminder of your pass life up north when you were here.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop-sicle View Post
So in visiting this and other forums to learn about new 2 me MH I see these post about winterizing, drain this out, blow this, put the pink stuff in.

What am I missing are these not motor homes and travel trailers if it gets too cold are you not suppose to go south or farther south?

I live in north Fl. and am ready to go south low 30's middle 40's just too cold brr.......
This will warm you up. We are near ocala and next we are schedule d to return to Canada. Hope this thought gives u warmth.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:57 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
You're not missing anything. Us poor suckers in the colder climates, still working, putting our "mobile" homes in storage from Nov-Mar, reading posts about RVing are all missing something.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:01 PM   #5

I live in Missouri where it sometimes it gets down to zero and below. All I do is drain the fresh water tanks and leave the valves open while driving home from a trip while it is still above freezing. The coach sits in extreme cold and we take it out when it gets back into the 30's. We do this several times during during winter with no problems.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tell people there are 3 ways to winterize

1: Wet method: Pump noxious chemicals into all the lines and have fun flushing them all out come spring.

2: Dry: Blow the fresh lines, water heater, and such out with compressed air, Do this like 10 times waiting a couple minutes between blows with all faucets and low point drains open.. use the aformentioned noxious chemical in drains, traps and toilets,, Don't worry about flushing it out in spring (it flushes naturally).

And the method I use. the "S" method,, now the full S method I do not use but I will describe:

Strap a snow blower to the front of the Rig (Motor home or tow vehicle) Drive south, when you stop for fuel and someone tilts their hat back, scratches their head while looking at the snow blower and says "What the {Deleted} is that for?"... YOU ARE WINTERIZED.

I did not strap a snow blower.. Another clue is the sign "Bridge Ices Before Road" When you do not see it any more.. Either there are no bridges or... YOU ARE WINTERIZED.

I am in S.E. Ga,, We do have the sign, but no snowblowers.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #7

Some of us that camp and travel in the warmer months choose to put our rigs in storage during the winter months. I and my DW do this every year as we choose to enjoy the winter months and the snow and colder temperatures. I prefer the cold weather instead of all of the gray hair snow birds that travel south trying to escape this weather. I am over 65 so I guess that I can make that statement.

I love the outdoors and try to enjoy the 4-seasons that we have in IL and take advantage of the seasons we have. My DW and I go for long cold walks along the river banks in our area and watch the Bald Eagles flying and sitting in the trees along the banks. Usually 4 to 5 miles a day that we do in temps that are around 0 F or higher. We use to cross country ski but had to give that up do to my health issues but we still take advantage of the walks in the winter. Some choose to stay in the cold climate.

Jim W.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:16 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Some of us that camp and travel in the warmer months choose to put our rigs in storage during the winter months. I and my DW do this every year as we choose to enjoy the winter months and the snow and colder temperatures. I prefer the cold weather instead of all of the gray hair snow birds that travel south trying to escape this weather. I am over 65 so I guess that I can make that statement.

I love the outdoors and try to enjoy the 4-seasons that we have in IL and take advantage of the seasons we have. My DW and I go for long cold walks along the river banks in our area and watch the Bald Eagles flying and sitting in the trees along the banks. Usually 4 to 5 miles a day that we do in temps that are around 0 F or higher. We use to cross country ski but had to give that up do to my health issues but we still take advantage of the walks in the winter. Some choose to stay in the cold climate.

Jim W.
Oh my, this worries me! As I approach 65 I too might get delirious!
Old 01-10-2015, 04:04 PM   #9

[QUOTE Strap a snow blower to the front of the Rig (Motor home or tow vehicle) Drive south, when you stop for fuel and someone tilts their hat back, scratches their head while looking at the snow blower and says "What the {Deleted} is that for?"... YOU ARE WINTERIZED.
.[/QUOTE]

Had a good friend that retired from the AF when stationed at Offutt AFB, in Nebraska and we asked him were he was going to retire to. He said he was going to tie a snow shovel to the front of his truck and when he was anywhere the people asked what it was, that was were he was going to retire.