Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #29

I was in the service business since out of high school. Ran two Shell stations in the late 60's early 70's. That's when everybody started going self service. I wouldn't. That's how I keep my inside business going. Talking and getting to know your customers. Shell didn't like it because I wouldn't drop the price and go self service so they took one of my island pumps out. Next they wanted me to sell milk and bread.Seen the hand writing on the wall. Jimmy Carter's saying your burning too much gas and Shell says I ain't selling enough. That's when, in 1976 I first retired. Hell, gas was up to 39 cents a gallon. Remember when the jackasses went to liters? what a joke. People now don't care about service, they just want cheap.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Swampdog. i don't know what type of business you have? Are you paying the going rate for the type of work they do? Do you train your workers? Do they clearly understand their job? If the answer to the above is yes then you clearly don't have a pool of motivated workers to chose from. I've run Union construction jobs for the last 40 years and have never had anyone on my crew for more than a day that fit the description of your workers. You can hire someone who turns out to be a poor employee by mistake, keeping one is foolish.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
Swampdog. i don't know what type of business you have? Are you paying the going rate for the type of work they do? Do you train your workers? Do they clearly understand their job? If the answer to the above is yes then you clearly don't have a pool of motivated workers to chose from. I've run Union construction jobs for the last 40 years and have never had anyone on my crew for more than a day that fit the description of your workers. You can hire someone who turns out to be a poor employee by mistake, keeping one is foolish.
Hiring good employees is a hard job. You might be a great contractor/businessman but a lousy HR person. I've had an employment testing system for 28 years now and know the in's and out's of hiring. Most company owners go by their "gut feeling" when hiring and it's usually wrong. Once you hire someone just try to get rid of them without a lawsuit.

As a business owner you can't be everything and do everything right. A simple testing report can give you more information on an applicant than his best friend knows about him. This gives you the upper hand in hiring.

The reports can also tell you how to best train and motivate him which will help you and your managers. There are a few good testing companies out there but unfortunately most are expensive and the smaller companies don't use them and it shows. I see around 100 reports a day come through my system and out of the 100 I see only a few good ones so your chances of hiring on a gut feeling is slim to none. The saddest thing to see is a hard working, honest good person fail because they can't hire right.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
You don't uderstand;
they don't know how to do math.
The can only make change whatever the register says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
It all starts in the schools and ends with a work ethic. I went to Lowe's the other day and my total came to $15.26 so I gave the cashier $20.26. She gives me the $0.26 back and starts to make change. I said if you take the $0.26 you just have to give me a $5.00 bill. The cashier says that's not what the register says. I said that's because you said I gave you $20.00 not $20.26. The cashier said it's easier to type $20.00.

I think i got one that rivles this.

Went to a drive up seafood place, wont name names. Ordered a family meal, the person on the speaker asked what 3 sides i wanted.

I asked what were the sides

She replies, cole slaw, fries, and corn on the cob.

I said ok, I would like one of each.

she says "What would you like for the other 2?"

so i tell her one of each again.

she asked again what i wanted for the other 2

had to get some one else to finsh the order.

I think i had her confused at HI
Old 06-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Billieg, don't know what your business is, but in construction most of the bosses started as tradesmen. I can usually tell if someone is going to work out in the first 10 minutes. Take a look into his toolbox, for a carpenter that's the window to his soul. Tools thrown in haphazardly and rusty is the kiss of death, if he doesn't care about his tools he won't give a damn your work. It pretty much works for all the trades they need these tools to make their living, if they don't take care of the look out! JMO By the way Pa. is a hire & fire at will state, yes even in the construction Unions, although. some union BA's will try to convince you otherwise
Old 06-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #34

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar

You don't uderstand;
they don't know how to do math.
The can only make change whatever the register says.
And it's so simple . Just count up from the price of the item to the dollar amount given by the customer
Old 06-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i have had to teach three young cashiers how to do that. amazing what they dont know. also, how to keep the bills tendered on the register shelf until the customer has verified their change.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #36

Forgive me for offering a different opinion but I think that you always seem to find what you are looking for. You quickly forget the honest cashier who calls you back because you forget to wait for your change but you will always remember the one knuckle head who ticked you off in some obscure way. Some poor business men do not know how to hire the right type of person for their specific job. Not everyone can or should do everything. You can find good help if your not lazy. Veterans with good conduct discharge papers are almost always self motivated and willing to keep their mouths shut and learn the job first. If you want good service may I suggest a simple approach. Smile, read the service persons name tag and enter their world with a positive comment like, Good Afternoon (insert name hear), can I ask you a question? In short treat people like you want to be treated. It will work most of the time and that is as much as you can expect when dealing with imperfect human beings.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
I think that businesses as we know them for customer service is long gone in the United States of America....I am aging myself but I remember when you went to a Gas Station no let me rename that Service Station....when you went in and bought a dollars worth of gasoline, not only did they check the oil for you they also cleaned the windshield and offered to check the air in your tires.
Then they said "Thank You"

I worked in a Service Station when I was still in High School...I thought I was making a lot of money getting paid $1.50 an hour.

Of course things have changed a lot in the last 45 to 50 years
Lucky you: when I was going to school (a little over 60 years ago) I worked in a service station for 36 cents an hour.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #38

Don't you thnk that a lot of the loss of customer service is our reliance on the big box store? Finding anyone who really knows what they are talking about in the big boxes is almost impossible. Try finding some who really can help in a Lowe's or Home Depot is an impossible task. The big boxes have taught us that if we want price we don't want to pay for service.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #39

I was working an SME (Society of Mechanical Engineers) show booth in Maryland when a little old guy in a black, shiny suit, red bowtie, mustache, white hair, and a plastic bag full of brochures from the booths he had visited came strolling into our display space. My associates went: "Oh, another brochure collecter." I went and talked to him anyway--sold him $450,00 worth of machine tools! Turned out he owned a large machine shop. Guess who got the bonus that month!!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #40

Now I'll give you the other side of the customer service that some of us encounter. I'm a CPA and during tax season I literally work 80-100 hour weeks. It just comes with the territory so you learn to live with it because it is part of serving our clients. However, you would be amazed at how many people will call us asking for free tax advice so they can do their TurboTax. I always try to be cordial, but it gets really hard to do sometimes. I guess a lot of people don't understand the concept of professional services or maybe they think we work for the IRS, otherwise known as "The Dark Side."
Old 06-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #41

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK
I was working an SME (Society of Mechanical Engineers) show booth in Maryland when a little old guy in a black, shiny suit, red bowtie, mustache, white hair, and a plastic bag full of brochures from the booths he had visited came strolling into our display space. My associates went: "Oh, another brochure collecter." I went and talked to him anyway--sold him $450,00 worth of machine tools! Turned out he owned a large machine shop. Guess who got the bonus that month!!
That's what customer service is about.
Taking a moment to say hi and asking if there is anything he needs.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #42

i've been in the supply business since 1982 when i started off as a Navy Storekeeper at $551/month; i've been the guy behind that counter for so long it's practically all i know. but i know THIS; if the guy in FRONT of the counter is looking for a hard time and something to brag about down at the Elks club later, he's found me. if you expect to have someone reach behind them and produce a whatsit for your 1955 Thunderclap special without referencing a catalog, you need a time machine. even in those dark days in the Navy when we still used card catalogs instead of computers, we had to have enormous racks of paper catalogs and the dreaded microfiche was something NEW......
now; that guy with the attitude will get his whatsit and get it at a fair price, but for every arrogant tough guy customer that walks in, i get four that are sweet as kittens and sometimes get a better than fair price or maybe a hand carrying stuff to their car.
much is said about how fantastic military vets can be; i'll reserve my observations to my OWN experience. when i first EAOS'd, a job in my field was virtually unobtainable. employers wouldn't look twice at my DD214 and sheaf of excellent eval papers.... even retired vets were hesitant to give me a shot. lucky for me, i was able to re-up at my same rate, and put in another hitch.

employees with some experience and training to their credit are almost universally overlooked because they cost too much to hire. employers would rather put some fresh HS grad in a spot and hope and pray they can learn to do what the trained and experienced vet can do already, for half the money, no benefits, and be able to push them around like kids.

today, i don't even bring up my Navy service to employers unless they ask; virtually no one understands what a Storekeeper does and most think the Navy sails around in skiffs all day. i've been a combination warehouse manager, stevedore, loadmaster, certified accountant, shipping manager, inventory auditor, and a certified damage control party member (think volunteer fireman) AND a ship's ready reserve force member (think "repel boarders" small arms party member).... and that was just from 1982 to 1988.

funny how potential employers never get that far reading my resume.