Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
In a BMW dealer waiting for them to finish our paperwork. While people watching, notice what appeared to be a construction worker come in. Naturally because he was dressed in red clay covered jeans, a plaid shirt, work boots, keys and wallet on a chain, he was totally ignored by the sales staff. A manager finally came over and asked if he needed help. The guy pulled out his chained wallet and paid cash on the spot for a BMW 650. No commissions that day for the "judging-a-book-by-it's-cover" sales staff.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:26 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
When we were shopping for our RV, I went to a local Ford dealership in Brownwood, TX. Back then I had long hair and was all decked out in a pair of shorts, flip flops, and my "jungle" hat.

Walked around the lot for about 30 minutes looking at the outside of the RVs they had. All the while two "salesmen" were sitting in the shade in golf carts watching our every move. They never made an attempt to even engage us in conversation.

At one point we came close enough to them to hear their conversation. One was saying that "that guy ain't got no money, but he does have a good lookin' wife."

I immediately looked right into his eyeballs, told the wife to get in the car and headed out of town where we bought our RV.

I went back later and spoke to the sales manager where I pointed out the two individuals and let him know the entire story...as well as how much money they missed out on.
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is none of these companies training their staff? I had worked for a new home building company that had all the sales, construction and service staff take courses on how to take care of the customer
Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #18
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
I agree. Customer service is basically non-existant and work ethics have, by and large, gone the way of the dinosaur.
I also agree. You would think that with the current financial situation in this country that businesses would work on customer service.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
They are buying the politicians. They bankroll tv ads that stir up the common folks with fear tactics about gays and abortion, and we take our eye off the ball as they steal OUR country
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #20

I have 30 men working for me and 80% just don't give a s---. they come to work late , they spend more time trying to hide from work than doing any work , you can tell they don't even care about their own beings , they don't bath , brush their teeth, hair, their clothes are not clean , they just don't care ,not even if they get fired as a matter of fact,they hope they do. so they can draw unemployment.So don't blame the store owners 100% it's just hard to find good help.
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Ok, Ok, I've got one.

I HATE having to slog through computer controlled menu options on the phone (if you need parts, hit 1, if you need service, hit 2......................................, if you need a life, hit 967). For Jimminy sakes, answer the phone!!!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
It all starts in the schools and ends with a work ethic. I went to Lowe's the other day and my total came to $15.26 so I gave the cashier $20.26. She gives me the $0.26 back and starts to make change. I said if you take the $0.26 you just have to give me a $5.00 bill. The cashier says that's not what the register says. I said that's because you said I gave you $20.00 not $20.26. The cashier said it's easier to type $20.00.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
It all starts in the schools and ends with a work ethic. I went to Lowe's the other day and my total came to $15.26 so I gave the cashier $20.26. She gives me the $0.26 back and starts to make change. I said if you take the $0.26 you just have to give me a $5.00 bill. The cashier says that's not what the register says. I said that's because you said I gave you $20.00 not $20.26. The cashier said it's easier to type $20.00.
It would be entertaining if it weren't so sad.

I agree with your statement RJay except I think it begins in the HOME rather than the schools. As stated earlier, I fear what we've done to our children in the name of wanting them to have a better life than we did.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Don't get Me started on the Stupidity of Cashiers.

Another Classic stupid is Save On Foods recent "Round Up Your Bill for Charity" !
For starters if My Bill comes to $87.50 I think They should round it down to $87.00 as a Thank You for Shopping here, not expect Me to add an extra 50 Cents for Their charity for which the Company gets a Tax Deduction. I sure don't get any benefit from this and refuse to give Them the change!

A Few Other stores including Walmart have similar schemes to gain social recognition at the expense of the "Suckers" that shop there!
Old 06-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #25

I agree Customer Service appears to be a thing of the past. Automated phone lines are a nightmare maze of options, but in my experience the worst thing to happen is:
Changing or Bought out companies!! The mill I worked at went bankrupt, but another company came in and took over for the money the old company owed them! They had special Nazis for taken over plants like ours and tried to blame us union members for the condition of the plant!
I bought my house through the local bank so I could actually talk to the main office if needed and my bank was bought out by an out-of-state bank! They even took away my overdraft protection account!!
I had the same internet connection for several years but my e-mail address changed THREE TIMES due to mergers and buy-outs!!!
I had a Nextel cell phone plan when they were bought out by Sprint and I lost all my text messages and texting for a WEEK!!
Now I'm on a job search and two of the companies I interviewed with have been bought out recently and I'm told at the interviews that "I'm not sure when I can hire you or if I'll even be able to hire anyone"!!
I COULD go on, but you get the idea!!
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
You don't uderstand;
they don't know how to do math.
The can only make change whatever the register says.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #27

I own a software company. If you call me, you will get me. Not a machine or someone who may or may not know what's up. When it's 5 pm I switch the phone line over to my cell phone so even if you call at 11 pm when I'm watching the news you still get me. You know why? I need the business, plain and simple.... Maybe that's why I'm still in business after 28 years. I wish all businesses felt the same way.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think that businesses as we know them for customer service is long gone in the United States of America....I am aging myself but I remember when you went to a Gas Station no let me rename that Service Station....when you went in and bought a dollars worth of gasoline, not only did they check the oil for you they also cleaned the windshield and offered to check the air in your tires.
Then they said "Thank You"

I worked in a Service Station when I was still in High School...I thought I was making a lot of money getting paid $1.50 an hour.

Of course things have changed a lot in the last 45 to 50 years
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote