Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-18-2016, 09:47 AM   #29
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
DW had stroke so i retired at 54 now we travel 9 or 10 months a year not quite full time because she likes being home for holidays. Traveling is enough to keep us busy between moterhome and cruses

rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not retired, I'm unemployed- there's more of us out here.

woodfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
This thread is a very interesting read, for myself.

I am 52, and have reached my "state of preferment". I get to do/work at which I prefer; not yet retired but at a place where I can choose.

30 year career in the Oil & Gas business; finished in November and am looking at driving a Handi-Bus to help with those with less physical mobility. Looking forward to meeting new people.

And the wife has a serious "Honey-Do" list to be shortened....

Glad to read about others that stopped work just as early (early 50s); thought maybe I was insane.....

Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL
Toad: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
What am I doing in retirement? Hmmmm.... well let's see. I sleep till the bed ejects me, I get a quick shower while my coffee is making, I drink my coffee while checking out IRV2, by that time it's time for my morning nap, that takes me to lunch time, I check the exercise machine to be sure someone hasn't stolen it, and of course everyone has to have a nap after lunch, then another cup of coffee while checking IRV2, then it's time for my afternoon nap, then it's suppertime, then I settle in to watch TV (AKA nap time), after all that activity I'm plumb tuckered out so it's time for bed!

LOL. I am teaching myself/learning how to nap after lunch..... Will keep practising until I get it right.....
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL
Toad: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #33
Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I retired at 49 and have never looked back. Turned the company over to the kids and travelled until the wife's health failed. I have no regrets and have never been bored.
I don't understand how I got things done when I was working. I have no time now to even turn around. Life is good!
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #34
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired at age 59, sixteen years ago this March. What most folks do not understand is that retiring is a big life style change. Or as my DW put it, "Twice as much Husband and Half as much money".

We had a motorhome for several years before I retired and three days after retiring we lift of two months on the road.
When we returned I was restless and got a Real Estate license and quickly found out I hated that job.
Then I purchased some storage buildings and built many mini storage units and ran that for a few years.
During this time I was caring for my Brother who was dying of liver cancer and my Mother who had a severe stroke.
They both passed on and I sold the business and got bored again.
Now I do a lot of work with the VFW and Legion. I am a member of the firing squad and we do lots of ceremonies on Memorial Day and funerals.
I shoot skeet and trap and drink a lot of coffee with shooting friends. I run errands for the Wife while she works and witness a lot of wills and such.

The DW still has her Law Practice but is slowing down. We manage to make several trips a year and will leave in three weeks for a two month tour of the South.

I know of a lot of friends who retired and soon after had health problems. I think you need a plan and have to keep active in some way.

A friend asked me today what I had planned for the day and I replied, "nothing". He said, "that's what you did yesterday". I replied, "I wasn't done yet".
Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #35
I retired at 50 in 2011 (DH is 7 years older and had already retired). We took off traveling and have never looked back. We lived in Belize for 1.5 years and lately Mexico for a year, and we have traveled all over the US, from Florida to Washington State and back (not in an RV but in a Honda CR-V) with our Boston Terrier.

Neither of us work, but we do have hobbies and interests, which are vital to avoid boredom in retirement. We are avid bicyclists and also enjoy hiking, walking, running (me), reading, bird-watching, cooking, eating out, and planning our travels. I have also volunteered with dog rescue groups and find that very rewarding, while hubs has volunteered with Habitat for Humanity in the past, as he is handy.

We have also taken lots of photographs and maintained a blog, though we finally burned out on blogging and have been taking a hiatus from that for the past six months or so.

We have just purchased our first motorhome, and that is going to keep us occupied and traveling for a good long time to come, if our health holds out. We love retirement and can't imagine going back to our 8 to 5 workaday life. We were both telecom software engineers and more than ready to leave that behind when we did.

~~ Emily
Full-timing in "Pearl", our 2007 Newmar Bay Star 3202
TarheelGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #36
I retired in 1993 at age 56, on my 4 motor home since then, take several short trips a year plus one long 8 week trip in the spring and another 8 week trip in the fall. Between all that, taking care of the house, the yard, and 3 other vehicles pretty well occupys my time when not traveling.
Someone asked me when i retired what kind of work I was going to do now and I told them if I wanted to keep working I wouldn't have retired.
Like was stated above, I stay up till 12:00-1:00 every night and sleep till I wake up the next morning (no more awful alarm clocks) usually 9:00-11:00, all I couldn't do while working.
Like was also stated above, health insurance can be a problem till age 65 but luckily my employer's plan carried me till I was on Medicare.
No more time schedules or due dates has been one of the best advantages of retiring.
wagonmaster2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:59 PM   #37
Retired from teaching unexpectedly at 58 . I did some subbing the first year (loved it) as well as remodeling a cottage we owned. I've done a lot of landscaping projects at our home the last couple of summers. Was able to help my son with a number of projects on his "new" used home. We bought a condo in FL and spent the last two winters there. The two Florida winters changed my life drastically. First, I got into volunteering and found it very rewarding, planning on doing more. Second, I decided to ignore my orthopedic eval (knees) and try to run again. Now, two years later, I have done six triathlons and some 5ks. I'm in the best shape I've been in since my early 30s. I usually spend 2-3 hours a day training and feel more "alive" than I can remember. Sure, I'll need a pair of new knees at some point, but I'm convinced my old, beat up ones will last as long or longer if I continue to use them. I'm addicted to the competition aspect and though pleased with four 2nd place age group medals, really want to get a 1st place one of these days.
Within a week we should be heading out on our first great RV adventure. Heading to San Diego for 2 months to see our daughter and taking 2-3 weeks to enjoy the way. Looking forward to doing a Great Lakes loop trip next summer. How I had time to work (two jobs most of the time), I just can't figure out
2005 Winnebago Minnie 31C, V10 Triton will be towing 2008 Wrangler 6 speed with Ready Brute Elite bar attached to Blue Ox Baseplate
MikeD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #38
Good thread, and congratulations to all who had the courage to retire before old age caught up with you. :-))

Before I retired, there was a retired person who would come by our house on his daily walks. We would talk and soon became friends. I was working on a Taylorcraft in my garage and he had a Cessna 140 so we had that in common. One day I told him I was going to retire and he was very happy for me. He gave me this advise, make out a list of all the things you want to do---and leave the first space blank. I have tried to follow his advice and I don't think there has been a single day when I didn't have several things to choose from to fill in the first line.

I retired at 55 in '94 and my wife a little later, but she was a teacher and had Summers off and that was our travel time. I wanted to buy, rebuild, fly, and sell old aircraft. I got an A&P license and then a friend told me a story about liability that caused me to change my mind. What a shame that situation is the way it is. Since then I've had to be content with enjoying and maintaining motorcycles, our Triumph Spitfire, boats, RVs, fishing, hunting, and traveling. And then there is the house. Someday I'm hoping for the time to finish building the homebuilt aircraft in the garage before I'm too old to fly it. There are always things to do.

dix39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #39
What are you doing in retirement?

Music, music and more music. All of the housework. Wife not retired. Camping (RV) in the spring, summer and fall. Amateur radio. Church on Sunday's. Enjoy the days when there is nothing pressing to do and no place that I have to be. Also I am the home IT guy. Definitely not rusting out. A lot of you are young. God bless you. Enjoy every day and remember He who provides each.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:20 AM   #40
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I retired last June, still sorting out what to do. Not that I'm bored, but sort of flailing. I am enjoying having no stress in my life.
My wife is still working and probably will for another couple years or until they kick her out, whichever comes first.
Ideally I would like to travel with the RV and volunteer as a campground host but it will have to wait until she retires too. Right now I have a couple of old British cars that keep me occupied and a honey-do list that I can't quite bring myself to start working on. I'm not done doing nothing yet.
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:45 AM   #41
Vintage RV Owners Club
I will let you know for sure in 308 days and 15 hours, I have a 1000 sq ft shop to play and I know there are at least two kitchen renos in my future that need free labor (and maybe some of my cash too). Going to winter in the south. Travel with the RV
Regardless I plan on wearing out not rusting out. Congrats to all of you who have made it to the big R and my best wishes to those who are facing difficulty when they should be winding down adn enjoying Life
Mr.Geritol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:43 PM   #42
baraff, Just one old British car is enough to replace a full time job, let alone a couple of them.:-)) I love my Spit 6, but alas it's broken again. Actually I took it apart to refurbish the interior, add instruments, etc. and haven't gotten back to it yet. I'm thinking of trying to trailer it with the back on a dolly this Summer. IMHO, British cars are fun, enjoy yours!

dix39 is online now   Reply With Quote