Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2016, 10:25 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Danielsland
Sounds wonderful to me. Love nature and it's beauty far more than cities.

Yup. That's why I don't understand people that need to have "latest and the greatest" in TV, and audio ('in motion satellite' !!). Even "outdoor TV" that pulls out of the cargo bay.

I don't understand, but I don't judge either. When I take the RV out, I want to go somewhere I don't go every day. Since I ride in the mountains, I like to go to the ocean, but I don't want to be around other people (regardless of how nice they might be). I want to listen to the incoming tide, screeching of the seagulls,..... smell my grill mixing with the salty air, play with my dogs in the surf, and have some quality time with my wife. No time for TV hosts, movie stars, music, Oscars, etc......

And when I'm driving on the road that I haven't been on before, I want to see EVERYTHING,......from cliffs, and canyons, to people working in the fields....that's my "in motion entertainment".

"Fulltiming" is different of course. But I am not a fulltimer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
There are lots of things to do if you are of the mind to see what needs to be done.

I golf twice a week, volunteer with the RV resort (write a newsletter, prepare the calendar, produce tickets for events) and ride the bike. We ski, golf and participate in things that have our interest.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
I retired 20 years ago (at 40) from the military (22 years of service, and living all over the world, and all over Stateside). After two years of resting, I went to work for the private contractor. Did few contracts, and came back to the States. Bought into a car dealership, and operated that for five years, sold out, and bought two gas stations with full service car washes. Got sick of that (EDD, Workman's Comp, EPA.......etc.) after 8 years.

Now I live on 140 acre horse ranch, with five horses, four dogs, two cats, wife and a daughter. I restore stuff (when I have time after working with animals). From Range Rovers, and Jaguars, to guns and Rolex watches, and everything in between (even an old Fleetwood Bounder). I do a lot of shooting too (on the property). Friends come over for horse back riding, shooting, and BBQ. We also ride motorcycles (have three of them).

Now I'm planning to move out of CA, and build my own house in Idaho. Got the land in ID (on the river), and currently drawing plans for the "house". Actually, not a house at all. Call me weird, but I always liked the way late Patrick Swayze lived in "Road House". I will build a BIG barn, to "house" my Prima Vista, all the cars/motorcycles, and all the animals. All under one roof. Living quarters on the top, and all the toys/horses downstairs.

All this keeps me VERY busy. Often, there is not enough hours in the day to accomplish everything I want to do that day. Wife is still working full time (she is much younger), loves her career, and doesn't want to quit. I also cook every day (very seldom eating out). She cooks on weekends. She is from Irish/Greek descent (looks Irish, cooks Greek!), and was stationed in Turkey........cooks Mediterranean (MY favorite!). I lived in Germany, Italy, Yugoslavia, and Japan for many years,......and I cook that way.

Today,......(after I feed horses), I plan on buffing/waxing my Prima Vista, prepare dinner, and take the dogs for a hike up the mountain. When wife comes home, I finalize the dinner, we have a glass of wine, feed the horses, and put them up for the night, feed dogs, put a movie on, and go to bed at 10. Getting up at 4AM every morning, and start over.

"Normal" people will have romantic dining out on this coming Sunday, and we will saddle up our horses, pack saddlebags with prosciutto, cheese, olives, wine......and ride up the mountain for the picnic, to enjoy the sunset. We are surrounded by millions of acres of BLM land, and a State Park. One can ride in there for weeks, without seeing another human (and that's just the way we like it!).

We will sleep in Prima Vista while I'm building the barn in ID (cooking, and "living" will be done on the adjacent ranch that belongs to my "BFFL"). Wife will work only 3 days a week at that point. After we settle in, we will be taking Vista on a two-three day short trips around Pacific Northwest (the only part of this country I never lived in before) every month. The rest of the wife's days off will be spent riding (horses or motorcycles) and exploring our new "neighborhood" - Continental Divide.

And that's being "retired"

Loved reading your story! Thanks for posting it, you live in a beautiful part of the country and there is much to see all around you, enjoy it.

I am often reminded of the song, "What a Wonderful World", IMHO, you have the best of it.

Steve
Old 02-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #60

I thought I'd add for those that have a musical "bucket list" that at 73 I decided to learn to play a saxophone. I had no musical background other than whistling and trying to sing occasionally. That in itself has been an interesting journey. Now at 76, while still in the learning stage, I'm beginning to get the hang of it. Now I have 8 of the things ranging from soprano to tenor with a couple that I bought to work on if I ever find time. We carry one of the horns with us when we travel and I play it to annoy friends along the way. Now with the MH and a little more room we may take more than one.

"What a Wonderful World" is one of my favorites, among many others.

Just another segue anyone can take.

Steve
Old 02-14-2016, 12:41 PM   #61

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I did not retire, I switched jobs. From Electrical engineer too
"Honey due list facilitator"! From a paid job too sleeping with the boss.

Requirements include but are not limited too; Painting, vehicle maintenance, lawn service, tree removal service, cook, grocery shopping, home maintenance. In my spare time I restore vintage cars and boats, and put on firearms training classes.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:03 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Now that is Funny!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:39 AM   #63

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Now that is Funny!

The work is hard but the perks are great!
Old 02-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I look forward to retirement so I can do what I want in my timeframe. With working I have to perform my job to the best of my abilities because that was the way I was raised. Have to be to work when the shift starts, leave when the shift ends or all the patients are taken care of. I try my best to do a good job.

When I retire I want to be able to walk each day. Stand and listen to the birds awaken, the owls hoot at night, watch the surf come in and out and listen to the music of it. I want to walk through the woods, see some of the biggest trees in the world and waterfalls and mountains. I want to see this country, walk it's paths, visit with it's people and animals. Want a place I can safely shoot my gun without disturbing others.

I want to watch sunrises and sunsets and just sit quietly and enjoy the sunshine on my face and enjoy a warm breeze through my hair. TV is good but not a big part of my world. Isn't now and won't be then. Give me a quiet riverbank and ducks to feed. A bird to watch and dogs running in the woods. The sound and view of water.

Yeah, I like it peaceful but do fine with most people too. Danielsand, you have a place that sounds like this to me. People when you want but mostly peace and nature. Enjoy your bit of beauty!
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
I retired 20 years ago (at 40) from the military (22 years of service, and living all over the world, and all over Stateside). After two years of resting, I went to work for the private contractor. Did few contracts, and came back to the States. Bought into a car dealership, and operated that for five years, sold out, and bought two gas stations with full service car washes. Got sick of that (EDD, Workman's Comp, EPA.......etc.) after 8 years.

Now I live on 140 acre horse ranch, with five horses, four dogs, two cats, wife and a daughter. I restore stuff (when I have time after working with animals). From Range Rovers, and Jaguars, to guns and Rolex watches, and everything in between (even an old Fleetwood Bounder). I do a lot of shooting too (on the property). Friends come over for horse back riding, shooting, and BBQ. We also ride motorcycles (have three of them).

Now I'm planning to move out of CA, and build my own house in Idaho. Got the land in ID (on the river), and currently drawing plans for the "house". Actually, not a house at all. Call me weird, but I always liked the way late Patrick Swayze lived in "Road House". I will build a BIG barn, to "house" my Prima Vista, all the cars/motorcycles, and all the animals. All under one roof. Living quarters on the top, and all the toys/horses downstairs.

All this keeps me VERY busy. Often, there is not enough hours in the day to accomplish everything I want to do that day. Wife is still working full time (she is much younger), loves her career, and doesn't want to quit. I also cook every day (very seldom eating out). She cooks on weekends. She is from Irish/Greek descent (looks Irish, cooks Greek!), and was stationed in Turkey........cooks Mediterranean (MY favorite!). I lived in Germany, Italy, Yugoslavia, and Japan for many years,......and I cook that way.

Today,......(after I feed horses), I plan on buffing/waxing my Prima Vista, prepare dinner, and take the dogs for a hike up the mountain. When wife comes home, I finalize the dinner, we have a glass of wine, feed the horses, and put them up for the night, feed dogs, put a movie on, and go to bed at 10. Getting up at 4AM every morning, and start over.

"Normal" people will have romantic dining out on this coming Sunday, and we will saddle up our horses, pack saddlebags with prosciutto, cheese, olives, wine......and ride up the mountain for the picnic, to enjoy the sunset. We are surrounded by millions of acres of BLM land, and a State Park. One can ride in there for weeks, without seeing another human (and that's just the way we like it!).

We will sleep in Prima Vista while I'm building the barn in ID (cooking, and "living" will be done on the adjacent ranch that belongs to my "BFFL"). Wife will work only 3 days a week at that point. After we settle in, we will be taking Vista on a two-three day short trips around Pacific Northwest (the only part of this country I never lived in before) every month. The rest of the wife's days off will be spent riding (horses or motorcycles) and exploring our new "neighborhood" - Continental Divide.

And that's being "retired"
That is a great plan.

The manufacturer of our shop sells some for that very reason, live on top and play on bottom.

Custom order to almost any size in X y or z dimensions to 6 inches.

We were limited to 24 ft high so downstairs is only 10 or so ft but the walls can be as tall as needed.

With exception of the roof beams and too tall end wall panels I built this solo with a scissor and forklift.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1455979892124.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	119454   Click image for larger version

Name:	1455979949916.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	119455  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1455979995940.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	119456  
Old 02-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #66

DW asked me "what did you do today?". I replied "nothing". She said "that's what you did yesterday". I said "I know, I wasn't finished".

Actually my other hobby keeps me busy enough at 78. I am a volunteer license examiner for ham radio licenses (just finished a license class for 28 newly licensed hams) and am a volunteer emergency radio operator at a local hospital. Lastly I take care of DW who needs help getting around.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:24 PM   #67

Carolina Campers
What are you doing in retirement?

When I retired I took a couple of years and traveled about 20K in my first RV (bought preowned), then I decided I liked this and upgraded to a new one and put another 14K miles on it.

Came back home and my old job wanted me to take a contract, which was extended to 18 months (they asked me to take over as the coordinator after I had been there for three weeks (this is getting old quick). In September I will retire again.

I already have a Camp Host job lined up in AL starting in September (3 days on, 6 days off), I will stay there until March 2017. When we are off for the six days, we will be traveling to other parks in AL, FL, GA, and LA. Then I am already talking to a park close to the Blue Ridge Parkway for a Camp Host job in April... I have talked to another park in WV for a Camp Host job at some point next summer. I have applied for another park in FL for next winter. This could keep me busy for several more years... I hope my health holds out longer than my RV... I plan to upgrade to a new one in about 5 years or so. We will see...

Retirement is just a chance to do what you want rather then doing it because you are tied to a career or income... Enjoy life where you are versus hoping you get somewhere better in the future... Life is what you make it, then you die and your kids take their turn at it...
Old 02-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #68

I call it semi retirement. Fulltime keeping an eye on a few rental apartments in Bermuda. Partime taking care of those apartments plus my own home. Painting mostly, but whatever needs doing. That accounts for 7 months of the year.

The other 5 are spent on the road throughout US & Canada. Over 150,000 miles since 2007.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:10 AM   #69

Ford Super Duty Owner
A. Learning how to sleep late and do nothing.
B. Using business skills to mentor young small business owners I meet.
C. Still using mind for business as COB. No worry about day to day problems. Just think out of the box for new business ideas and let others fine tune ideas and decide to implement them or not. I've got the easy and fun part.
D. Learning how to convert my always on business thinking to more relaxing things like: should I take a nap today or ride bike 40 miles.
E. Traveling around the US chasing 70 degrees and visiting museums, high tech farms, manufacturing facilities etc. Before I didn't care how bourbon or airplanes were made. Now it is fascinating.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:31 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
E. Traveling around the US chasing 70 degrees and visiting museums, high tech farms, manufacturing facilities etc. Before I didn't care how bourbon or airplanes were made. Now it is fascinating.
I think you hit the nail on the head. When my mind was consumed with my work (as a software engineer), I had no space in the old gray matter for things like what you mention above, so my leisure time was devoted to gardening, sewing, cooking, and fitness activities. I still enjoy those activities, but now my mind has space and time for new knowledge, so I am curious about so many more things. History, the natural world, how other cultures live, how things are made, etc etc!

And I rediscovered my love (from childhood) for reading fiction. The more I read, the more I find genres and authors I want to read. So many books, so little time!