Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2016, 03:27 PM   #1

What are you doing in retirement?

Everyone has been great about relating their last day of retirement so while that thread continues, I'm hoping you'll let me know what you're doing in retirement to "keep busy." With about 9 months to retirement, it's staring me in the face. I've lived through work for many years and haven't really developed an outside interest that I participate in on a regular basis. There are things I'd like to do, but I'll only be 52 when I retire (wife has been retired a while) so there's some thought about changing jobs and continuing to work (we are moving so I will find something near the new city - too much traffic here).

So with this in mind, what are you doing to occupy yourself? Did you change careers? Just start relaxing? RV full-time? Begin volunteering a lot more? Take on an interesting hobby?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I retired at 51 and I'm 69 as of tomorrow. I went back to work doing IT contracting then the economy tanked and I was unemployed for 4 years. Found a job as security for a retirement center while waiting for the DW to retire. In Aug 2008 she put in her retirement papers, effective Sept 1, then her daughter died the second week of Aug. and left us with two grandkids to raise. Luckily she was able to rescind the retirement papers so kept working. Oldest has left but the youngest just turned 16 so two years to go with him at least.
Now the DW was diagnosed with inoperable liver cancer last June after 4 years of medical leave, so she's on the transplant waiting list, going in for her fourth chemo on the 14th.
Somehow it just doesn't seem much like "retirement" since I'm still working!

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:36 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Volunteering. There are thousands of opportunities at www.volunteer.gov. Many of them come with free RV pads and all utilities paid.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #4

I retired at 47, mainly cause I could, I hated my job, and last but not least already had a quad-bypass. That was just over 16 years ago. Over the years, I have played a lot of golf, almost to the point of burn out, worked in the yard a bit, taken some cruises, and have been through 4 different motorhomes, with a brand new one on order. I have also read ever one of Agatha Christies books and have a made a really big dent in Clive Cussler's.

One thing you should look into is what you will do about medical insurance. We are not on Medicare yet, and not eligible for subsidies and as a result the premiums for insurance that we have to have are kicking butt.

The other thing to consider is that if you enjoy what you do, or have a passion for doing some other work, do it.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:02 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I retired@ 69. I'm from the old skool and started a paying job at age 9.
I told my last employer that after 60 years behind the plow I'm putting the horses in the barn and not working anymore.

It has been 3 years now of travelling and just enjoying life.

Truly enjoy what ever you do and not to worry about the little stuff.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #6

After almost 30 yrs of rotating shift work........way too many of them 12 hr shifts I retired at 50.
That was 12 yrs ago.
First 4 was spent doing lot more 'Cowboy Action Shooting' competitions, rebuilding a 1965 Pontiac LeMans and waiting for GF to retire which she did at 50.
Then we sold EVERYTHING and went FT traveling for 7 yrs.

Now we have a new S&B house, doing craft fairs, going shooting (GF is a crack shot...almost as good as me)......enjoying neighbors (weekend BBQs) and just lat out enjoying this phase of life.
And still camping
Old 01-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #7

When I retired from a job I loved at the Transportation Cabinet after 34 years, we went out and bought 6 year old coach and I started to "fix" it and get it ready to travel. My wife worked two more years then retired are we started to travel across this beautiful country. At a rally I saw a Discovery identical to mine and started a conversation with the owner comparing our coaches. Out of the blue he said "How would you like a part time job working for my company as an engineer helping people after a national disaster strikes. You will be well compensated but you need to be ready to report to a disaster site within 24 hours of notice." We talked turkey and the next thing I knew I was reporting to Mobile, Alabama to estimate Hurricane Ivan damages

When we travel I take my name off the "available" list but they still seem to call as ask "are you available?"
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Retired at 60, that was 10 years ago. Had a part time job for 5 years and now we take care of two of our four G kids during the school year, two days a week. We travel when we can and I enjoy steel shooting and do as much as I can. After this year we intend to stop the G kid watching and do more travel. Hope to get down south in the winter and do more shooting on our travels. Hope to have about 20 more years in my trigger finger. LOL.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Am.Star View Post
Retired at 60, that was 10 years ago. Had a part time job for 5 years and now we take care of two of our four G kids during the school year, two days a week. We travel when we can and I enjoy steel shooting and do as much as I can. After this year we intend to stop the G kid watching and do more travel. Hope to get down south in the winter and do more shooting on our travels. Hope to have about 20 more years in my trigger finger. LOL.
Interesting. You forced me to Google what Steel Shooting was. I learned something!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:35 PM   #10

Retired 10 years ago, now 55. Did nothing but honey-do's around the house for 2 years. Got bored so started a small construction/remodeling company. Part time. Built 14 houses in Tijuana for the poor. Still plenty to do. Do not know how I ever had time to work a real job.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:11 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Retired ~20 months ago at the age of 55. My wife has decided we need a new house so we bought ~6 acres of land which I have been working on clearing and getting ready for construction. The lot was completely overgrown with vines, briar's, underbrush and crisscrossed with dead trees. It has been time consuming and physically challenging work but it has kept me busy and my mind occupied. I am getting ready to test a well that is on the property and planning to start looking at building an RV Garage. We will also be starting to get quotes on the house plans etc.

In between all that we've managed to take a number of trips in the coach and will start planning for an Alaskan trip in 2017.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
"How would you like a part time job working for my company as an engineer helping people after a national disaster strikes. You will be well compensated but you need to be ready to report to a disaster site within 24 hours of notice." We talked turkey and the next thing I knew I was reporting to Mobile, Alabama to estimate Hurricane Ivan damages

When we travel I take my name off the "available" list but they still seem to call as ask "are you available?"
Now that is something that interests me! I never thought about that!
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:26 PM   #13

Helping raise 4 and 8 year old grandkids--keeps us close to home.
International travel--17 countries in last 2 years. Getting ready to go on cruise out of Rome.
Buying another house and selling our present S&B. Fortunate that large houses in The South are still affordable.
Working on mission work with church--building houses.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:56 PM   #14

If all goes as planned, I will retire at 64 3 1/2 months from now.

My DW will still need to work for another year. My big plan is I would like to ride the Trans America Trail from beginining to end. Maybe this summer?

Also ride my other bikes, and catchup on projects around the place here. Oh yes,,,, and more miles on the coach!

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote