Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #617

Triple E Owners Club
Was in an ambulance taking a H1N1 patient Code 3 from my hospital to another 100 km (60 mi) away where they had specialized dialysis interventions. Myself facing the back doors at the patient head, an ICU nurse to my left beside the door. Two paramedics up front trying to negotiate the busy twisty turning 2 lane mountain pass in the rain. The patient is chemically paralyzed, deeply sedated, in critical condition with a whole Christmas tree full of medications. He has a tracheostomy, and I am ventilating him with a portable ventilator - O2 @100% FiO2 1.0 and PEEP of 15cm H20.
Up front the paramedical are swinging the wheel, jamming the brakes siren on full as we try to manoeuvre the hills, turns and the traffic. Suddenly, the guys curse in unison and we weave to avoid someone who doesn’t know what to do when an ambulance comes up on them on mountain roads.
To my incredulity I watch as the patient rolls to the right, his 375 plus pounds taking the top heavy stretcher to the right, and him to the floor. He lands still strapped to the stretcher in such a way as to flex his head and make the ventilator scream at us in alarm as the unit pressure limits. The legs of the stretcher have the nurse (who weighs 100 lbs soaking wet) pinned in such a way she cannot move to assist me, and the paramedics cannot stop the ambulance with the amount of big vehicle traffic on the hills.
So, the patient cannot breathe because he is chemically paralyzed and the ventilator cannot assist him. His O2 sat is plummeting.
What to do, what to do.....
I reach over to the far side of the stretcher, grab it, kicked out my right leg and somehow managed to yank the patient off the floor, then leverage him back to normal position. The ambulance had just come to a stop as the crew hit a pullout and the ambulance motion may have helped me with the lift.
The patient was 375 lbs and I tore my shoulder, my intercostal muscles and badly damaged my lower back.

Now, care to hear about the time(s) my wife and I have done cpr on a plane or in a pub? LOL!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2018, 06:25 PM   #618

Triple E Owners Club
I should add the guy survived. I’m still hurting 8 years later. Thank goodness for the disability insurance.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #619

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, yes - tell us about pub CPR vs airplane CPR please :-)
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #620

I had 3.5 toes amputated from my left foot. Now I have 4.5 toes on my left foot.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:40 PM   #621

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
I had 3.5 toes amputated from my left foot. Now I have 4.5 toes on my left foot.
No, no, no. Wrong movie! Forest isn’t a character in the movie, "My Left Foot".

Ok, so you started off with 7? That must have made buying shoes fun. One of the neighborhood kids had 2 thumbs on one hand when I was growing up. Docs were waiting until her bones were bigger before correcting it. I thought it was kewl.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #622

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
No, no, no. Wrong movie! Forest isn’t a character in the movie, "My Left Foot".

Ok, so you started off with 7? That must have made buying shoes fun. One of the neighborhood kids had 2 thumbs on one hand when I was growing up. Docs were waiting until her bones were bigger before correcting it. I thought it was kewl.
Try that again 3.5 + 4.5 = 8
Old 04-22-2018, 05:45 PM   #623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excesses View Post
Was in an ambulance taking a H1N1 patient Code 3 from my hospital to another 100 km (60 mi) away where they had specialized dialysis interventions. Myself facing the back doors at the patient head, an ICU nurse to my left beside the door. Two paramedics up front trying to negotiate the busy twisty turning 2 lane mountain pass in the rain. The patient is chemically paralyzed, deeply sedated, in critical condition with a whole Christmas tree full of medications. He has a tracheostomy, and I am ventilating him with a portable ventilator - O2 @100% FiO2 1.0 and PEEP of 15cm H20.
Up front the paramedical are swinging the wheel, jamming the brakes siren on full as we try to manoeuvre the hills, turns and the traffic. Suddenly, the guys curse in unison and we weave to avoid someone who doesn’t know what to do when an ambulance comes up on them on mountain roads.
To my incredulity I watch as the patient rolls to the right, his 375 plus pounds taking the top heavy stretcher to the right, and him to the floor. He lands still strapped to the stretcher in such a way as to flex his head and make the ventilator scream at us in alarm as the unit pressure limits. The legs of the stretcher have the nurse (who weighs 100 lbs soaking wet) pinned in such a way she cannot move to assist me, and the paramedics cannot stop the ambulance with the amount of big vehicle traffic on the hills.
So, the patient cannot breathe because he is chemically paralyzed and the ventilator cannot assist him. His O2 sat is plummeting.
What to do, what to do.....
I reach over to the far side of the stretcher, grab it, kicked out my right leg and somehow managed to yank the patient off the floor, then leverage him back to normal position. The ambulance had just come to a stop as the crew hit a pullout and the ambulance motion may have helped me with the lift.
The patient was 375 lbs and I tore my shoulder, my intercostal muscles and badly damaged my lower back.

Now, care to hear about the time(s) my wife and I have done cpr on a plane or in a pub? LOL!
AKA X-medic 73 aka CF104

RESPECT ***** ehhh you don't know Seth G. do you ?
CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:29 PM   #624

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Try that again 3.5 + 4.5 = 8
Oops! But 8 is even better than 7!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-23-2018, 01:25 AM   #625

Quote:
We would be twins if it was rour right foot!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:33 AM   #626

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I now realize, reading all these great stories, that I have done nothing and wasted my life lo these last 43 years. Thanks.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:23 AM   #627

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Gump;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
We would be twins if it was your right foot!
I'll bet you guys could swim circles around the other kids. But how hard was swimming a straight line?
Curtis in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #628

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbreaker View Post
I now realize, reading all these great stories, that I have done nothing and wasted my life lo these last 43 years. Thanks.
Oh, but you're still quite young in comparison to most of us posting here. Have heart - your time will come. Very few people here set out to do anything unique, unique just sorta happpened when we were around.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #629
mat

I survived.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alburnt.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	200144  
Old 04-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #630

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat View Post
I survived.
And I am very happy you did. Judging from the plywood headboard I am guessing you were putting yourself in harm's way in service to our country.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote