Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2018, 09:00 PM   #29

I never go to a dealer except for service.

I buy two new vehicles every 3 - 5 years.

I do all my shopping from the comfort of my keyboard. I determine our needs and wants, research packages and pricing, and perform discovery for rebates or affiliate discounts, if any.

I set my "will not go above" price, and then search inventory of dealerships. When i find what we want (or if we have to order), I call 3 competing dealers and tell them the same thing. Politely but firmly, this is my price. If you can meet it, great. If not, thank you, good bye. No haggling, no callbacks.

Also, I want the vehicle in showroom condition, with full fuel, delivered to my door, and we complete the paperwork at my residence.

That is my experience.

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2018, 09:22 PM   #30

We don’t buy new , probably never well . I shop online , when I find what I’m interested in that has a far price according to NADA, I’ll go see it . If I like it I’ll let salesman know I’m interested, if he pressures me to buy , I’ll warn him , if he continues I walk. Same with finance guy , if he try’s talking me into warranty’s , gap insurance etc , I walk
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:13 PM   #31

Sales man comes out says his name and I say mine and go right into :I will not be high pressured ,if I think your starting to high pressure me I'm outtahere . If you want to sell me a car there will be none of that take it or leave it . I told a guy this and he went right along with me . I think I did buy the car from him.
Gearjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
Today we went to a local new car dealership to get DW a new set of wheels.

Without boring everyone with the details my story is this.

When I said its our family policy to "sleep on it" for 24 hrs before making a HUGE purchase the salesman said "what will it take to make you buy this car today?"

My answer was he needed to knock more off his asking price. He said that was not an option. OK, Bye.

The factory will change the oil for the next 4 years and it comes with a 6yr/ 60K mile bumper to bumper warranty. So what more could I have asked for? A free ball cap or Tee shirt every time I bring it for the free oil change ?

The car is probably priced about right from what I see advertised online and DW was standing looking like it was going to be her very first car.

I'm sure the salesman thought it was a done deal. I'm really glad we have that 24 hr rule.

Please let me have your thoughts and Ideas as to what I should ask for besides a ball cap or Tee shirt even though the new Jag caps do look nice
I'm thinking that if he let you leave that's about as low as he'll go
Old 01-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's how it ended

Okay, just to let everyone know how this ended and to say “THANKS” to all that contributed their two cents worth.

We closed on a new 2018 Lincoln MKX Reserve that is fully loaded with every bell and whistle offered.
(Most of which I doubt if we ever use but that’s what DW wanted).

MSRP was $54K and they grudgingly accepted our offer of $49K because we had a written email offer from a DFW dealer. Originally they wanted $52K We got 0.0% interest for 60 months through Ford Motor Credit.

Then we were handed off to the finance guy who failed to convince we needed any of his protection plans other than “GAP” insurance. Listed price on the GAP insurance was $850 I asked for a better price and accepted $750.
GAP insurance will pay off the loan if the car is totaled and you owe more than it’s worth.

No freebies other than the first oil change.

We are both glad it’s over and done. Now we get to learn about the bells and whistles LOL

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
Okay, just to let everyone know how this ended and to say “THANKS” to all that contributed their two cents worth.

We closed on a new 2018 Lincoln MKX Reserve that is fully loaded with every bell and whistle offered.
(Most of which I doubt if we ever use but that’s what DW wanted).

MSRP was $54K and they grudgingly accepted our offer of $49K because we had a written email offer from a DFW dealer. Originally they wanted $52K We got 0.0% interest for 60 months through Ford Motor Credit.

Then we were handed off to the finance guy who failed to convince we needed any of his protection plans other than “GAP” insurance. Listed price on the GAP insurance was $850 I asked for a better price and accepted $750.
GAP insurance will pay off the loan if the car is totaled and you owe more than it’s worth.

No freebies other than the first oil change.

We are both glad it’s over and done. Now we get to learn about the bells and whistles LOL
Good price on the car plus 0% interest. In your area (Odessa, TX) $51,067 was about what most people were paying for that fully loaded 2WD. Was it 2WD or 4WD?
jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes it is 2WD

Old 01-30-2018, 01:09 PM   #36

Smile

Before you make your next major purchase I hope you will educate yourself. I purchased a book years ago titled You Can Negotiate Anything by Herb Cohen. It was first published in 1982 but it has probably been updated several times, not that the principles and techniques are likely to have changed.

The book is entertaining as well as informative. I particularly enjoyed his explanation(tongue in cheek I hope) of the 2 X 4 theory of negotiation. Basically, when the seller has something you want but you don't have anything he wants you have a problem. He doesn't want money. He doesn't want to trade it for anything, etc.

You have to find something he wants or you will never be able to get it from him. The theory states if you pick up a 2 X 4 and begin to hit him with it, now you have something he wants and a basis for a negotiation. He wants you to stop hitting him.

The point being if you're not getting anywhere you need to get creative in your negotiation. When you think about it, all car dealers do this with customers all the time. That's why they offer you floor mats, mud flaps, dingle balls to hang from the mirrors, etc. The stuff they offer is very cheap compared to the profit they will make getting the customer to bite at all the "freebies" they got from the nice man at the dealership.

I used to get mad at the folks who walk in and pay way too much for a car because they don't like what they perceive as confrontation. I think it raises the dealer's expectations too high and then a guy like me comes in to buy a car.

I've mellowed a bit. Now I just try to think that maybe the dealer has sold a lot of overpriced cars and when I come in he's feeling flush and will be more amenable to my very low ball offer followed by some serious arm wrestling ending with me getting a really good deal.

My wife was mortified the first time she went with me to buy a new car. She does not like confrontation. Now, 43 years later, she brings her book along when I'm negotiating for a car, motorcycle, airplane or motorhome as she knows how the play is going to end and she enjoys both the drama and spending the many thousands of dollars we have saved over the years.

Happy wife, happy life!
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:54 PM   #37

I think I've read that book Though I'm not really that good at it.

One of the examples I remember was making a salesman work for hours trying to sell you a suit. It involved hours of talking and negotiation before an agreement was finally reached. Then, when time to write the check you pause and say "Which tie are you giving me?"

My dad would keep a car salesman occupied all day over a car. I hated to go with him car shopping, but he explained after one particularly tortuous session, "He's been with me all day and hasn't sold a thing. He would not let me leave without selling that car."
Old 01-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FL420 Thanks for the book recommendation. I'm off to buy it on Ebay (used of course)

Old 01-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #39

Interesting reading through everyone's ideas and opinions regarding car purchases.

I guess I will throw my .02 cents in:

It often takes me up to two months to purchase a "new" vehicle. My new vehicle purchases are usually for business vehicles (I can jump on a good used cash deal in a heartbeat).
I do my research. I find out what I want and how I want it equipped. I then start researching how much I should be able to buy the vehicle for.
I then start checking dealer inventory online (not always reliable, but it is a starting point).
When I locate a few vehicles that fit my requirements, I will start visiting a few dealerships. I will probably only do one or two test drives at the first couple dealerships I visit... I really see no need to test drive every vehicle, if I am shopping for new and they are all equipped the same way.
Then, based on visual inspection and test drive, I start narrowing my search down to 1 - 3 dealers I am likely to purchase from, based on a brief conversation or email. I don't mess with unprofessional "dog & pony" shows.

When it comes time for the purchase, I don't mess around with salesmen or sales managers. I am nice and maintain a civil deposition, but my time is too valuable (to me anyway), to play a long drawn out game. I ask for their best price (total purchase price... I don't do their payment game) and then let them know if they have the low bid, then I will be back.
I don't get into the "back & forth" between the salesman and the sales manager... they have one chance to give me their best deal.
I do not give any salesman or sales manager my phone number (ain't nobody got time for that). I will give them my email, but I tell them that they could be designated as spam, if they bug me.

By the time I decide to purchase, I have communicated with the dealership and we have agreed on the terms. I give them the info they need and tell them I have a one hour window to come finish the deal. I show up on schedule, sign their paperwork, give them my money and drive away (I have actually done three car deals through the years that I was in and out at the time of delivery in less than 30 minutes).
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:56 PM   #40

Can't say my last car deal I was in and out of the dealership in 30 min; more like 3 hours, but: I found a car I liked and then after much searching found one on line. Called dealer and put down a refundable deposit (CC). My wife and I took the train to Portland Union Station where we had arranged for the salesman to pick us up. My test drive was from the train station to the dealer. He then had the car detailed again, filled with gas, and we did the deal. We drove back to N Ca the scenic way, up into the Columbia River Gorge, and back along the Cascades home. All on Labor Day weekend. Still have the car!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #41

Back in 1982 had a salesman ask that same question
"So what will it take to make you buy this car today?"

Answered back '
" A different salesman"

Left..went next door and after some friendly reasonable fair negotiations I purchased a new car.
Then drove it back over to previous dealers lot.....honked the horn and waved to the salesman.

My money, my terms or I walk.

Thank goodness for the internet now a days.
Last three vehicles have been ordered, priced negotiated via Internet
Last 2 were done w/o any deposits and only met/dealt with salesman on day I went to pick it up & pay for them.

Love buying new vehicles via Internet....so easy, calm, relaxed and no hassles from ANY one
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:44 PM   #42

Jeez guys.... buying a car is a competition. It's supposed to be fun. Y'all are taking all the fun out of it. The savings are important but so is the game.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale