Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Yup, put up or shut up.

Years ago, the MSRP on our coach was $278,000 and I put down $25K. I don't think putting a 25% deposit is unreasonable especially if you are ordering something special that the dealer could get stuck with if you back out of the deal.
Were you ordering the coach or was the $25k your down payment on an in-stock purchase? 25% of $278k is $69,500. I would NOT put that much down to place a special order. (And I wouldn't put $40k down to place an order, either. I think $5-10k is reasonable and indicates a serious buyer.)

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #16

i would say if you want it your way then you have to pay. Maybe try another dealer. I see rv's that people have customized and scratch my head and say why would anyone do that. Don't blame any bussiness for wanting a large down when you want a custom order. After all they are the ones who have to try and sell the unit if you back out.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #17

The other side of the coin is what happens if the dealer bellies up before you get your coach? The answer to that is that you are an unsecured creditor and you get nothing. Putting five down on a credit card is fine, but I wouldn't do more than that and I don't think there are too many dealers that would require more than that. The dealer we usually work with requires just $5,000 down and it is fully refundable so I don't see much benefit in giving a dealer that much up front with no guarantees.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
i would say if you want it your way then you have to pay. Maybe try another dealer. I see rv's that people have customized and scratch my head and say why would anyone do that. Don't blame any bussiness for wanting a large down when you want a custom order. After all they are the ones who have to try and sell the unit if you back out.
I believe that when customizing a factory order, there are still only certain options available. Not possible to get too far "out there" with customization from the factory.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
The other side of the coin is what happens if the dealer bellies up before you get your coach? The answer to that is that you are an unsecured creditor and you get nothing. Putting five down on a credit card is fine, but I wouldn't do more than that and I don't think there are too many dealers that would require more than that. The dealer we usually work with requires just $5,000 down and it is fully refundable so I don't see much benefit in giving a dealer that much up front with no guarantees.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #20

On an ordered unit a deposit is normal, no matter what the $ is, I would say it reflects the price of the unit. And the rest of you are right if you want something special and it shows up and you change your mind the dealer is stuck with it untill he sells it. Its called business.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #21

Ordered first coach through Lazy Days, $1K down and refundable. Went to order the second coach but after speccing out everything we wanted they had one on the lot with exact same specs. During the second process they did not ask for anything down. Maybe it was because we had a trade.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Let's also clarify the "custom order"

All I want is the third A/C installed, and to have the cabinetry up front instead of the tv.

What I think is silly is the dealers ordering a Ventana with both the tv behind the couch AND one in the front overhead. I'd prefer the cabinet space in the front overhead.

I'm probably pretty sure that newmar could retro a 2014 like this, but I also like the 15 having def on the correct side.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
i mean this stuff is ON THE BUILD SHEET, i'm not talking about painting the thing to look like a frog or anything.
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 06-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
I would call a few of the high volume dealers to see how they handle a factory order. Midway, Coachlight, Steinbring or North Trail. If the dealer your getting the 40k quote from is located in Houston (un-named) they seem to beat to a different drum than most of the others.
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBlue View Post
I would call a few of the high volume dealers to see how they handle a factory order. Midway, Coachlight, Steinbring or North Trail. If the dealer your getting the 40k quote from is located in Houston (un-named) they seem to beat to a different drum than most of the others.
understood.
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 06-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBlue View Post

Yup, see if the dealer is put of line by contacting a few others.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #27

If it was me.....the first thing I'd do is get a new sales guy. WHY would you believe this particular piece of information in light of previous sales bs?

I'd then confirm this 40K up- front thing with someone further up the food chain (GM/Owner) BTW is this 40k fully refundable and is this in writing ....not that it matters much if you find yourself as an unsecured creditor!

I'd then have a friendly conversation with the Dealer .....carefully explaining my concerns and also listening closely to his concerns....make every effort to find an acceptable compromise .... But at some point advise them of "terms" I felt were fair & let them know that anything less would be a deal breaker. If this was unacceptable to them I'd quit wasting my time and theirs and shop for a more cooperative Dealer.

If you find yourself shopping for a third or fourth Dealer then you may need to adjust your expectations & attitude and also hope you didn't burn too many bridges along the way.

BTW....I think 5-10K (fully refundable assuming certain pre-identified Dealer performance conditions & non-refundable if I have a sudden attack of bs buyers remorse) would be more than fair in this instance. Beyond that$$$$ I'd be looking for an Escrow account as this would then start to resemble more of a real estate type transaction....no .....I'd look for another Dealer.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #28

What do you tell a dealer that want large cash up front to place a factory or...

We were going to special order a fifth wheel and the dealer only wanted $1500.00 which was fully refundable if the unit didn't meet our expectations.

I'd find another dealer.

jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer