Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #29

iRV2 No Limits Club
What would I say ?

"$5,000.00 is the normal in the industry.
If you insist on any more than that, I will have to say "Goodbye."

There are too many other dealers and deals to put up with, what I would consider an unreasonable demand.

This dealer is saying the he does not have a lot of faith in you or trust you much.

Not the way to start a relationship where lots of n money is going to change hands.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #30

[QUOTE=plasma800;2111226]What do you tell a dealer that want large cash up front to place a factory order?/QUOTE]
Good bye!
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #31

the "salesman" usually represents the attitude of the owner. if you feel uncomfortable now, it may be a red flag about what is to come.
flcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:33 PM   #32

If a salesperson ever makes you uncomfortable, remember You can purchase anywhere, They can only sell where they are standing

Joe Fenech
1998 Itasca Sunflyer
Ford 460
Annierufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
We ordered our coach and they wanted $5000 for the standard coach. Any custom stuff (other than standard options) and they wanted $5000 more.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
When I custom ordered my 2008 Sig from Carolina RV all the Sales Manager and I had was a hand shake and each other's word of what the deal was going to be, the only paper work done was the factor order form.

James was a man of his word and kept me in the loop at every step. When ever a question would pop up he would have Monaco call me diectly. I can't say enough good things about the sale's experience with James and Carolina RV.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #35

5k is fine but nothing more unless you use a escrow account with everything listed.

By the way, I sale real estate and I just sold a property for $900 K.
The deposit for escrow was $5k.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
5k is fine but nothing more unless you use a escrow account with everything listed.

By the way, I sale real estate and I just sold a property for $900 K.
The deposit for escrow was $5k.
CONGRATS nice property sale! That's gotta feel good eh?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Looking at ordering a new class a, and the sales guy says "well you know.. the owner is going to make you put $40,000 down to order a coach that's not like we would normally order one..."

hmmm
I think it's time to visit the factory for a personal tour. Then you can discuss exactly what you want and proceed as they recommend. At that price point, there's no way I'd negotiate a custom order with a dealer.

I've never had less than stellar treatment from manufacturers when they know you're serious. If you stay a couple of days, they'll probably wine and dine you a bit as well. If you make a deal, go back for a second visit during your build. The folks on the assembly line are only human. If they know who the customer is, they'll go the extra mile. And during your build, a couple of pizzas delivered at lunchtime always helps too.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:44 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Well you know each dealer can do what they want. They can ask you for $5000 and be happy or they can ask you for $40,000 and be really happy if you give it to them. The number may be open to negotiation depending upon how badly they would like to make a sale.

IMO it may be advantageous for them to get a larger deposit. You give them the money and they bank it until whatever arrangement with the factory kicks in. Perhaps they give the factory 5000 and keep the remainder of the deposit to accrue interest or whatever.

It would be prudent for them to negotiate with you if you ask. If not someone else will sell you the unit.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #39

Jay
Have you sniffed out the used rigs? Places like PPL Motorhomes and MHSRV.COM?
Bet you can find a real nice rig for a real nice price! As soon as you drive off the lot with that new rig it will depericiate about 20%!!!

I paid 1/3 the cost of new on my rig. Onlty had 20K on her and not a scratch inside or out.

Just a suggestion.

Good luck & keep us posted.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I factory ordered my 2005 Suncruiser with $1000 down using my credit card!

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
I wonder some times if we are the cause of the down payment the dealer asks for. They read our words or our body language and get a feeling we may not be as sincere as we really are. Perhaps they feel that we do not have the funding to actually finish the transaction.

Friend who is a salesman told us if they knew the person (of a certain career) came on the lot the salesmen would flip to see who served them. Loser had to go out and make contact. The occupation was known to be cheap, argumentative and very demanding. We live in a small town and most everyone knows most everyone.

Sad to get branded by your career.

On the other had he also said if you wanted to sell something the easiest person to sell to was a salesman.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
if you wanted to sell something the easiest person to sell to was a salesman.
I wouldn't put much stock in that statement...I have found that salesmen are the hardest people to sale to....
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer