Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
There's no reason to be depressed, we just have to wake up and do something. Remember this is our country as much as any big business The politicians work for us not big business, they keep us divided over
the gay rights and abortion issues, so we take our eye off the ball. Let's all start looking out for our selves, doesn't matter the party as long as they are working for us.
If that were only true;

Old saying; money talks; our governer spent 70,0000; thats million of his own money to get elected.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #72
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I agree that this is a component, but is just one of the straws piled on the camel's back.

- SNIP -

Imagine you're a private company looking to build or expand, virtually anywhere. There will always be impacted neighbors that will object to anything, you'll need to get approval from the local board. Now you have to get past the state DNR, those achaeologists, the EPA, and the inevitable lawsuits filed by what I refer to the 'Eco-terrorists'. Those opposed to any development for any reason. Once you have your approvals you now need to design your facilities to comply with widely varying local ordinances and standards, the disabilities act, any special accommodations you had to make to gain local approval, it goes on and on and on and on...

Or, you can go to China and start digging the foundation today.

Hmmm. Are we our own worst enemys?
Yes, we are own worst enemies. What did Brer Rabbit say when in the briar patch?

SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #73

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
Yes, we are own worst enemies. What did Brer Rabbit say when in the briar patch?
Would you prefer to live in China with their totalitarian rules. They still execute people that don't go along to get along, with a bullet to the back of the head Just a though before you sign up for your Chinese work visa
Old 06-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #74
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Would you prefer to live in China with their totalitarian rules. They still execute people that don't go along to get along, with a bullet to the back of the head Just a though before you sign up for your Chinese work visa
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
Sorry for the confusion I was commenting on your seeming agreement with the post you quoted
Old 06-06-2011, 05:26 AM   #76

This has been an interesting theme and although at times leaning toward an off limits area has exemplified the purpose and mission statement of this forum. How fortunate we are to have this venue, only in America. The largess we enjoy is the envy of many worldwide.
So many here grasp the seriousness of our economic plight and have, by my take, resolved to see changes be made with the tools available to them in our democracy. Only in America.
Thanks to all for the expression of your thoughts and ideas.
We are proud to be members of this forum.

Madisons
Old 06-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #77

This is an interesting presentation: What Sony played at its annual shareholder meeting in 2009 - Innovation America

Here are somethings I don't understand. American firms have moved manufacturing to countries like China and Mexico because they don't have to pay wages that will allow people to live here. They also don't have to deal with pesky things like labor laws. If someone gets hurt on the job, too bad! Technology jobs have been moved to India for the same reason.

It's obvious that we have millions of unemployed people who will never be employees again. They could be educated and trained to do something else, but we are cutting funding for education. We are cutting education for our children at a time when most countries are putting more money into education. We are cutting access to health care. How can we possibly expect to have a bright future?

At the same time most big corporations pay no taxes! GE has something like 1000 tax attorneys to assure they will pay not taxes! We even subsidize our most profitable companies, oil companies with billions of tax dollars as though they would go broke without it. Not only that while we taking away from the people who have nothing we are giving even more to those who don't need it the wealthiest families and corporations in the country. There are those who say that creates jobs but does it really? Have you ever asked for evidence that it really does? We forget that there are many people in this country now who can't afford to put meat on the table!

Most of us were fortunate. We lived through times when we could accumulate some wealth. However, for our children and grandchildren those opportunities don't exist. Most of them will be stuck in a hamster wheel. When they stop spinning the wheel they die, in the streets as we only have health care for the wealthy!

I'm normally very optimistic but I can't see anything about the way our country is going that would make me optimistic! We are gridlocked in a battle over taking away from the middle class and poor and giving it all to the wealthy.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

I share many of the concerns expressed by Vegascouple.... but, as I understand it, the top 5% of taxpayers in the US account for 37% of all income but already pay 61% of the total taxes collected. Add to that the fact that >40% of returns filed paid no income tax at all and I do wonder how much more we can tax "the rich".

About.com: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/10winbulinincome.pdf

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegascouple View Post
This is an interesting presentation: What Sony played at its annual shareholder meeting in 2009 - Innovation America

Here are somethings I don't understand. American firms have moved manufacturing to countries like China and Mexico because they don't have to pay wages that will allow people to live here. They also don't have to deal with pesky things like labor laws. If someone gets hurt on the job, too bad! Technology jobs have been moved to India for the same reason.

It's obvious that we have millions of unemployed people who will never be employees again. They could be educated and trained to do something else, but we are cutting funding for education. We are cutting education for our children at a time when most countries are putting more money into education. We are cutting access to health care. How can we possibly expect to have a bright future?

At the same time most big corporations pay no taxes! GE has something like 1000 tax attorneys to assure they will pay not taxes! We even subsidize our most profitable companies, oil companies with billions of tax dollars as though they would go broke without it. Not only that while we taking away from the people who have nothing we are giving even more to those who don't need it the wealthiest families and corporations in the country. There are those who say that creates jobs but does it really? Have you ever asked for evidence that it really does? We forget that there are many people in this country now who can't afford to put meat on the table!

Most of us were fortunate. We lived through times when we could accumulate some wealth. However, for our children and grandchildren those opportunities don't exist. Most of them will be stuck in a hamster wheel. When they stop spinning the wheel they die, in the streets as we only have health care for the wealthy!

I'm normally very optimistic but I can't see anything about the way our country is going that would make me optimistic! We are gridlocked in a battle over taking away from the middle class and poor and giving it all to the wealthy.
Some where its called trickle down:
I'm waiting for the trickle to start
So far I haven't seen a drop; SS increase %0 for 2 years going to go for three Heard well get %1 this year but part 2 increase will take that
Old 06-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #80

Anyone need money? I received this message in my email.
Does anyone realy go for these things?

Dear Friend,

I am Dr Vincent LO Hong Sui, Executive Director of the Hang Seng Bank Ltd, Sai
Wan Ho Branch, Hong Kong,I have an obscured business suggestion for you.Am
here-by

seeking your service in helping me receive a large amount of money and in giving
a clear research and feasibility studies on area I could invest on.

Your services will be paid for, and you will be a partner, if your
recommendation is accepted.As a bank employee, I can not operate any personal
investment till I am

retired and with the Anti-corruption Bill passed in Hong Kong; it is risky for
a fixed income earner to own any huge amount of money in Hong Kong or any
foreign
country.It is then advisable to investment in any foreign land secretly and
patiently wait retirement.For security purpose, due to telecoms interception in
Hong Kong,
I shall not accept or acknowledge any phone call.
Only fax messages/ emails would be treated in relation to this proposal but not
without this code;[CODENO: AM-002].Should you be further interested, Contact me
through
this email for further confidential correspondence:
vincenthongsui1ch@yahoo.com.my
Warm Regards
Dr Vincent LO Hong Sui.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #81

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
Anyone need money? I received this message in my email.
Does anyone realy go for these things?

Dear Friend,

I am Dr Vincent LO Hong Sui, Executive Director of the Hang Seng Bank Ltd, Sai
Wan Ho Branch, Hong Kong,I have an obscured business suggestion for you.Am
here-by

seeking your service in helping me receive a large amount of money and in giving
a clear research and feasibility studies on area I could invest on.

Your services will be paid for, and you will be a partner, if your
recommendation is accepted.As a bank employee, I can not operate any personal
investment till I am

retired and with the Anti-corruption Bill passed in Hong Kong; it is risky for
a fixed income earner to own any huge amount of money in Hong Kong or any
foreign
country.It is then advisable to investment in any foreign land secretly and
patiently wait retirement.For security purpose, due to telecoms interception in
Hong Kong,
I shall not accept or acknowledge any phone call.
Only fax messages/ emails would be treated in relation to this proposal but not
without this code;[CODENO: AM-002].Should you be further interested, Contact me
through
this email for further confidential correspondence:
vincenthongsui1ch@yahoo.com.my
Warm Regards
Dr Vincent LO Hong Sui.
If you're not going for this do you mind if I invest a couple of dollars, could use a quick return.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #82

That's an interesting question can we tax the wealthy more? In 2009 when many Americans were struggling to put food on the table Hedge fund managers averaged a Billion dollars a year. Most of them can afford a team of tax attorneys so they end up playing very little in the way of taxes. On a percentage basis they probably paid less than their secretaries. We've got a choice we either have to tax the wealthy or we need to stop going to war all over the world! We can't just focus on cutting less than 1% of the budget and balance the budget. In 2009 Exxon had 45 Billion in net profits and paid taxes but not a dime to IRS. Do you really think we the tax payers needed to write them a check for another $6 Billion. Couldn't they afford to pay just a little? Remember all that oil they are drilling belongs to.........the people!

If you are going to balance the budget keep fighting wars all over the world it won't happen by taking food off American tables! Although I have to admit in many cases a little less food would be a good thing!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #83

Quote:
If you're not going for this do you mind if I invest a couple of dollars, could use a quick return.
Your joking of course
Old 06-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #84

Do you think income tax is a big problem? I don't mind the IRS, it's all the other taxes that is getting to me, 8.75% sales tax , $8000/year real estate tax. 5% utility tax, 7.5% personal property tax. TAX TAX TAX. Nothing left. Look at the FEES on your phone bills. They ain't fees, there taxes. Now paying sales tax on leased DirecTV receivers. Paying $66/month for storm water to run off my driveway. You want to know why people move up on a mountain to be left alone.TAXES.