Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #141

No, they can't be restricted, but if a victim or movie star says to back off and leave them alone, they should do just that and not get in their way or infringe on their right to privacy.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #142

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
Anthony, I was sad that you did not include reviewing the mental system in your letter.
I agree this is also a part of the problem and I should have included it. Please send your Reps a letter expressing your feelings. I included other things but could not post them on here.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #143

At least 38 of the 61 mass shooters in the past three decades “displayed signs of mental health problems prior to the killings"

The mental health system is broken.

http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/bl...f-not-now-when

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 12-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #144

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I again ask; what motivates the media to report every detail? Seriously, I haven't been able to figure out why they and the paparazzi find it necessary to swarm on people like they do. Is it the first one or the one who reports the most?
I think we get all the details of the perpetrators of these crimes because it is so alien to our thinking and values we hope to gain some understanding by studying them. Unfortunately it does give notoriety to these sick individuals that make other sick people try to top them.
Money drives the media, they report on what people want to watch. Paparazzi get paid to snap photos, 'stars' get publicity by reacting to them, they all make money. People watch to see how fame and riches still results in unhappiness, problems, and issues just like us 'common' folk have to deal with.

This school shooting is made more shocking and poignant by the ages of the victims, the time of the year, and the invasion into a place that we thought was innocent of such crime. Of course $media$ is going to ride this for all it's worth, tragedy is good business for them.

If I watch my local (Cincinnati) news stations, the 10 minutes of 'news' each half hour is murder, car accidents, and other crime. Never anything about solving problems, bettering local government, or anything of substance. Why? because polls have shown what gets ratings. I don't watch local news, I read multiple sources on line trying to find a variety of viewpoints on issues so I can make up my own mind.

I earlier posted that I am in Australia and embarrassed by this news. It's very hard (and time consuming) to try to explain how our US 'rights' overlap and can allow such situations to happen. I'm not ashamed, just embarrassed because most of the world can't understand how we tollerate these things. It has to be lived to be understood. We have zealots on all sides of the issues, but that again is one of our rights, the right to be wrong.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 12-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #145

Thanks Bob, that's pretty much what I thought. Just wondered if there was something I was missing.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #146
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
"Freedom of the press."

I only recently saw the name of the killer. I clicked on a link and the report had his name. It is the only information that I have read on the CT situation. My wife and I refuse to watch the news until this is out of the limelight. Originally I was walking by the television when I heard the report. I stopped listened for about 30 seconds, then shook my head and continued on. I so not want to see the people looking for their moment of fame in front of a tv reporter, or the reporter trying to get their fame.

As for the money makers, weil l hope the people who supply the money for their commercials to be shown, in the hopes it will generate income for their business, guess what "vendors," I don't watch commercials. I'll be doing something else for those 3 to 8 minutes.

Did you hear? The commercial volume now has to be equal to the broadcast volume. Yeah! I don't have to push the mute button anymore.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #147

Freightliner Owners Club
I'm sure a many here have seen this article: Written by a Mother discussing the problems raising a son whose mental illness can quickly turn to violence. It certainly presents a vivid perspective to the discussion.

"Fridayís horrific national tragedyóthe murder of 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in New Town, Connecticutóhas ignited a new discussion on violence in America. In kitchens and coffee shops across the country, we tearfully debate the many faces of violence in America: gun culture, media violence, lack of mental health services, overt and covert wars abroad, religion, politics and the way we raise our children. Liza Long, a writer based in Boise, says itís easy to talk about guns. But itís time to talk about mental illness."
Her article continues here: I am Adam Lanza's Mother - The Blue Review | The Blue Review
Old 12-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #148

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I'm sure a many here have seen this article: Written by a Mother discussing the problems raising a son whose mental illness can quickly turn to violence. It certainly presents a vivid perspective to the discussion.

"Friday’s horrific national tragedy—the murder of 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in New Town, Connecticut—has ignited a new discussion on violence in America. In kitchens and coffee shops across the country, we tearfully debate the many faces of violence in America: gun culture, media violence, lack of mental health services, overt and covert wars abroad, religion, politics and the way we raise our children. Liza Long, a writer based in Boise, says it’s easy to talk about guns. But it’s time to talk about mental illness."
Her article continues here: I am Adam Lanza's Mother - The Blue Review | The Blue Review
I have seen that, have read the blog post AND much of the rest of the blog (which I feel is partly important to the context of the aforementioned post).

Personally I have a HUGE issue with the title of that blog post - She is NOT the mother of {killers name}. She should have used a modified title. I don't know the writer of that blog, but to me using {killers name} is just an attempt to leech off of the HUGE frenzy surrounding this tragedy.

Maybe she was trying to "leech" for good - to highlight the struggles in America with mental healthcare, but for starters the public has ZERO ACCURATE information on the killers mental health history, so who is she to say that her child can be compared to this monster?

Yes through her writing she relays examples of her child's mental health and violent tendencies - and the struggles that she faces with him and obtaining proper mental healthcare for him -- and mental health, the availability of it for families, along with proper care is certainly a topic for discussion.

And FYI .. she has since modified the blog title to "Thinking the Unthinkable". You can find her blog here The Anarchist Soccer Mom
Old 12-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #149

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
... Personally I have a HUGE issue with the title of that blog post - She is NOT the mother of {killers name}. She should have used a modified title. I don't know the writer of that blog, but to me using {killers name} is just an attempt to leech off of the HUGE frenzy surrounding this tragedy.

Maybe she was trying to "leech" for good - ...
Too late to edit, but I feel that capitalize is a more appropriate word than leech

... and it appears she is now on a media tour. I HOPE that she keeps her media tour on focus - focused on mental health and not promoting herself
Old 12-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #150
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Hopefully this post is politically correct. This morning I wrote my News Station the following and sent it where perhaps it will help. Mods if something isn't correct please edit it and not the entire post. I took some out hoping this makes it.

Did you all ever consider that perhaps the news media carries these horrible stories about mass murders too far? Case in point, the California Mall shootings, the guy goes to the Mall, fires off several rounds, thank God he didnít kill anyone. Where do you think he came up with the idea? Do you think if the news media would have reported the CT. tragedy only once and not even mentioned the killers name over and over or even to go as far as to put out detailed information on his life and to interview people who went to school with him to see just what kind of a guy he was, would the idiot in California have done what he did. I think not. The over reporting by all the news media gave that fool the thought to do what he did for attention.

Why do you have to go on and on on these type of things? Do you all do it hoping to out do the other news stations? Most of you are Momís and Dadís, if you were in their place, how would feel seeing the picture and hearing about the one who killed your Child over and over all day, every day on the News and in the paper. Because of the constant reporting on this I would be willing to bet that in a year or so from now, a lot of people will remember the name of the killer, but how many will remember the names of the Children and the Teachers who lost their lives other then their loved ones.

Try this, Iím sure you all remember Charles Manson (sp?) can any of you name his victims, not just the one, but all of them. Although the News Media certainly didnít mean it but they sure etched his name in peoples memory, unfortunately for the families of those he killed, no one remembers the names of the victims except their families.

I have quit watching the News so that I donít have any memory of the name of this person who destroyed not only 26 lives, but a whole lot of other lives in the Nation by this senseless act. Even now I tear up thinking of the Parents, Grand Parents and families of the Children lost, I donít know how they are going to cope with this. I canít imagine walking into the living room and there under the Christmas Tree is a present that will never be.

I donít think weíll ever see an end to this type of senseless killings, but I believe we can do things to minimize them.

First off, put God back into our lives and especially in our Schools. Note that I said God, not Religion. After all this Country was founded on Christian principles.

Second, put discipline back in the hands of Parents and the Schools. I am a child of the Greatest Generation and was raised with the knowledge that if I misbehaved in school not only might I be paddled by the teacher but I sure as heck was going to get it at home also. I wasnít abused, I was taught respect.

Third, Get rid of Violent Games and Movies, Iím willing to bet that if the homes of these killers were looked at you will find a lot of violent games. These types of games have no social redeeming values. All they do is desensitize the players with the endless killings to reach a higher level. Constant playing of these have got to affect people, especially those who may have problems to begin with. As a bonus to eliminating these types of games we just might see a reduction of overweight Children since they now would have to get their little behinds outside to play. This would also create interactions with other Children as they learn to play and compromise with each other. This way everyone can quit blaming the School lunches for overweight kids.

Lastly, The News Media should report these things, but it should be a one time report, not a constant trying to out do the other guy by digging into what the killer had for breakfast last week. GET MY DRIFT. I donít think the name of the person who does it should be reported, let alone the digging into their background and reporting that, ďoh, he was a nice guyí ďI didnít expect that of himĒ. I donít know how you as Parents can report on this without breaking down.

Iím going to send this to the President, my Representatives, post it on Facebook and every where else I can, hoping that someone will take it to heart and look into what I and Iím sure a lot of other folks are thinking to lessen the repeat of this senseless act.

Please note, Iím not looking for attention, Iím just offering my thoughts on what we can do to help prevent these things in the future and perhaps bring this Country back to where it should be.

Respectfully,

Anthony Shigouri

Very well stated.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #151
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We used to have parenting.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #152

Freightliner Owners Club
2Labs: Thanks for the info, I was not aware of the background. I was also uncomfortable with the title but the narrative brought to mind experiences with similarly troubled youths.
At this point there is no way to make sense out of a totally senseless act...
Old 12-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #153

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Lord please hold close and comfort the angels you have called to heaven, and care and comfort the loved ones left behind from this tragic and senseless event
I wish he called up the shooter first.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #154

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
I wish he called up the shooter first.
Wish I was there to help get him there first.

Closed Thread