Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
A truely sad day. Little children, so sad to hear that their lives were taken so early. Prayers to all the familys, and to the responders. Nothing more can be said.
Very very well said! Good on you for thinking of the responders. It just had to be horrific, prayers to all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #30
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I'm with the others on the violence that is being shown on today's media. I'm of the opinion, as some other are, that the perpetrators of today are doing a one-up-man-ship. The news media harps and harps and harps on a tragedy, giving the tragedy so much "limelight," that someone has that little man running around in their head that they can do one better than that.

In our younger days, and my younger days of childhood go back to the 1940's and 1950's, we might have seen something in a newspaper, but most of the newspapers covered only the local scene. There were "sprees" back then but they were not publicized as they are today.

And then, we do not follow through with a punishment that fits the crime. Society has become lenient, to lenient in my humble opinion.

Unfortunately the home is not what it used to be. It is not a place where a child receives discipline anymore. The children of today carry an 800 number for any type of abuse, even though abuse is in the eye of the 800 number and those supporting it.

I'm sick!
I whole heartedly agree. Our kids, who are both in their late 20's now, were not allowed to watch any type of tv, go to any shows, or hang out with other kids whose parents didn't have similiar standards such as ours. We made sure to take the necessary time to be parents and not expect someone else or group to do it.

I further think that the entertainment industry, consisting of all types of venue, have failed miserably in producing good clean products for the publics consumption.

Additionally, why does the news media have to report for days/weeks on end of such unsavory deeds. There are to many nut cases out there that feed off of this.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So very sad. Our prayers and condolences for all the families affected by this tragedy.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #32
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Please do not allow this tragic situation to deteriorate into a weapons issue as such responses will be deleted otherwise please feel free to express your grief or opinions.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 12-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #33

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree with slickest1 and sgtjoe--when I was young we did play outside all day--good guys wore white--tv/movies didnt glorify bad guys--kids are desensitized to violence and killing--not taught that life is a precious gift--we all seem to know and agree on what the causes are--movies, tv, rap, internet, decreasing morals, etc..--I dont believe its going to get better anytime soon--very sad day--Vince
Old 12-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
I read about this earlier but it did not address the number of children and adults murdered. When I saw the numbers and the fact that many were children I actually started crying.
Bear with me as I offer my root cause opinion of these senseless murders. First off everyone is on the band wagon on overweight children and are laying the blame on the food at the schools. This is not the problem. A lot of children today rush home and break out the play stations and other machines that let them interact in mass killings. They spend hours on these videos. They no longer play outside and interact with the neighbor kids running and playing games as most of us did.
It is my sincere belief that because of these senseless violent videos not only have we raised overweight children but we have also desensitized them towards others by allowing them to spend hours on these games.

I would like to know if this person and the others had violent videos.
You summed up our current society very well, and I agree with you. It is not the fault of children however, the entire blame rests upon parents for allowing what is happening.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vscoggin View Post
I agree with slickest1 and sgtjoe--when I was young we did play outside all day--good guys wore white--tv/movies didnt glorify bad guys--kids are desensitized to violence and killing--not taught that life is a precious gift--we all seem to know and agree on what the causes are--movies, tv, rap, internet, decreasing morals, etc..--I dont believe its going to get better anytime soon--very sad day--Vince
My DH & i grew up in that same world. We were outside till it was getting dark. I feel so Bad i just can't understand what just happend and those Sweet Baby's and Teachers and staff........
Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Hope this is not considered Political. I just sent an email to the President asking them to look into the past of this recent murderer and the others to see if they had a room full of violent videos. I requested an investigation into prolonged viewing and playing of these "games" by our young ones.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
There is no reason for these acts.... There is no excuse for these acts... They are what they are.... Ridiculous, hatefully, cowardly, insane. We can not change these things.. We as a nation and people must be kind to one another and hope others do the same...
I know it will never happen.. But I can Imagine... Peace.. Someday.... D&T
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Old 12-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #38

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
May God comfort the little souls He has received.

May His wrath be upon the perpetrator(s)of this tragic event.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #39

Just wondering

Firstly I don't condone what happened today - it is a tragedy in the utmost.

However I wonder what people were saying in 1966 after the Charles Whitman mass murders from the tower of the the 28th floor observation deck of the Main Building at the University of Texas.

Whitman was a 25 year old ex-marine who first killed his own mother and wife before taking the lives of 13 people including a pregnant woman and wounding 32 others.

The Texas mass murder incident occured 46 years ago...they didn't have violent video games back then.

Maybe there are just evil people in the world, or maybe no matter how much things change maybe they're just the same.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #40

Freightliner Owners Club
The comments here are very much on point. Jzick on the schools, comments on games, the effects of the ecomomy and glorification by the media..

Our schools no longer teach competition, winning, or striving to succeed. "Keeping score will hurt someone's feelings." If you can't succeed it must be someone else's fault.

[moderator edit]

Very difficult to discuss at this point, the scope of today's violence is just overwhelming. We can all see the changes, the hard part is what to do to restore our concern and respect for one another..
Our prayers to all their families..
Old 12-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #41

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Out thoughts go out to the families effected, the school and community in this horrible tragedy today. This school is 5 minutes from our home in a quaint, sleepy, New England town. There are no words to express the tragedy that this community, our state and country have had to deal with today.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #42

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post
Firstly I don't condone what happened today - it is a tragedy in the utmost.

However I wonder what people were saying in 1966 after the Charles Whitman mass murders from the tower of the the 28th floor observation deck of the Main Building at the University of Texas.

Whitman was a 25 year old ex-marine who first killed his own mother and wife before taking the lives of 13 people including a pregnant woman and wounding 32 others.

The Texas mass murder incident occured 46 years ago...they didn't have violent video games back then.

Maybe there are just evil people in the world, or maybe no matter how much things change maybe they're just the same.
I was working at the Austin State Hospital on the third floor that day and watched smoke from the rifle from the UT tower,my future wife was Student Nurse and helped tag the dead,that day,my thoughts are yes there are just evil people and that will never end and what they use to do their evil acts will always be available.There's only one Hope for all and it's free on our end price has already been paid!