Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #85
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hitler took away the "tools," and look what his cronies did.

Folks, I don't intend the above to be political, just remember that there are those for "this" and those against "this," those for "that," and those against "that," and the two will never agree on which is right. Maybe there isn't a right or wrong in one's belief toward a subject. We may never know the answer, not in our lifetime.

Don't forget that 55,000+ died in Vietnam, and that was a tragedy, just like 20+ being killed in Connecticut. The many men who have lost their lives in the Mideast is a tragedy. All the other victims of crimes that have had their lives snuffed is a tragedy.

The other tragedy to me is the inability of the News Media to get on with reporting new news. I personally do not want to hear over and over and over again a bunch of "What ifs." There were things like this when I was a child, and I can state that the news took up about two inches of lines in a two inch column in the local newspaper.

Let Connecticut go on with what lives they have left.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #86

National RV Owners Club
Well said
Old 12-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #87

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

Folks, I don't intend the above to be political, just remember that there are those for "this" and those against "this," those for "that," and those against "that," and the two will never agree on which is right. Maybe there isn't a right or wrong in one's belief toward a subject. We may never know the answer, not in our lifetime.

Don't forget that 55,000+ died in Vietnam, and that was a tragedy, just like 20+ being killed in Connecticut. The many men who have lost their lives in the Mideast is a tragedy. All the other victims of crimes that have had their lives snuffed is a tragedy.

The other tragedy to me is the inability of the News Media to get on with reporting new news. I personally do not want to hear over and over and over again a bunch of "What ifs." There were things like this when I was a child, and I can state that the news took up about two inches of lines in a two inch column in the local newspaper.

Hey Top
Very well put and written.
"Semper Fi"
Old 12-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #88

People stop the he said she said crap.

These are innocent small children give them the respect they deserve. Finger paints n glue coloring and a b c is all they should have to worry about in any country or society. There smiles and frowns a tummy ache or a hug and kiss from mom n dad. We need to remember our roots in this country.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #89
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
People bluntly put get off the tools topic.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 12-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #90

National RV Owners Club
Perhaps what we all should do is what some have pointed out about the media who goes on and on and on is to quietly and respectfully end this thread and allow those children and adults who died to rest in peace. My heart goes out to their families who will never be the same. I have lost three children and understand the emptiness, but none of mine were lost in this type of situation. I hope somehow that the families will find some way to cope, especially at this time of year.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #91

I'm amazed at how many so called "experts" pop out of the woodwork, in cases like this, and give their opinions on live TV.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #92

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm here in Australia and a bit embarrassed right now to be an American. I taught 30 years in elementary schools, I can picture too vividly what went down. Folks are asking, "How do things like this happen in America?" and I don't have a SENSIBLE answer. Watching Aussie TV they're teasing a new show about the violence in the American Mafia. Not the wonders and beauty of the U.S. I enjoy while RVing. I just don't have words.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 12-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #93

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Someone commented on what's being shown on today's media.. I think the Media is in large part to blame, not small, large. I mean how many of you now know the name of the killer? (I have seen it but refuse to "know" it). These people know that they pull a murder like this they are going to be headlines for days on end.

I think the media should, as a group, decide that when someone goes on a killing spree (Say more than 2 victims, heck more than ZERO) they should be identified publically only as "The killer" never by name, NEVER by name,, No interviews with the neighbors, NOTHING about their lives, NO fame at all.. Focus on the victims, not the criminal.
THis rings so true:
Morgan Freeman‘s brilliant take on what happened yesterday :

“You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here’s why.

It’s because of the way the media reports it.

Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he’ll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN’s article says that if the body count “holds up,” this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer’s face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer’s identity? None that I’ve seen yet. Because they don’t sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you’ve just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man’s name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news.”

~ Morgan Freeman

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/...organ-freeman/
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Old 12-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #94

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am in Illinois right now and and by GOD still and always will be Proud to be an American!! We might have some problems but I will never apologize or be embarrassed to be an American. Maybe the Dixie Chicks will go down there and you embarrassed Americans can have a jolly damn good time! Statements like that pizzs me off!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:26 AM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'm here in Australia and a bit embarrassed right now to be an American. I taught 30 years in elementary schools, I can picture too vividly what went down. Folks are asking, "How do things like this happen in America?" and I don't have a SENSIBLE answer. Watching Aussie TV they're teasing a new show about the violence in the American Mafia. Not the wonders and beauty of the U.S. I enjoy while RVing. I just don't have words.
I am always proud to be an American.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:53 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

Wayne,

You are so correct about your analysis. If I really wanted to I could go back and find out all the mass murders in the USA from the 50's up until the 90's but I really don't want to.

The Jeffrey Dahmers's, Charles Manson's etc., will ALWAYS be with us. They along with the Saddam Hussein's, Pol Pot's and other country leaders just do this sensless violence on a larger level.

Too many people get fixated on this sensless tragedy and watch the FNC, CNN, ABC or other alphabet soup coverage and I ask why? What is wrong that you continue to obsess with this tragedy?

I disagree with another poster who talked about mental illness because I believe that a 20year old who could do this to innocent kids is just evil, plain and simple.

But we can NOT live in fear. We can mourn the loss but we WILL pick up the pieces and move on. Metal detectors, guard dogs, locked doors, etc., wouldn't have changed what happened. Trying to make sense of the sensless just doesn't apply. That's why we must appreciate every day we have with our loved ones.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Morgan Freeman‘s brilliant take on what happened yesterday :

“You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here’s why.

It’s because of the way the media reports it.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man’s name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news.”

~ Morgan Freeman

"Turn Off the News." ~ (not) Morgan Freeman | elephant journal
X2!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
The media are like maggots(not name calling as I said like). They don't appear to care who or what the victims are. I don't know how they get paid, but it seem like the firstist and mostist and then they research the facts.

Agree with that the Big News Media are like that. I dont think the local news media so much.

Down here on the Gulf Coast during Hurricane Season, you can see the drool coming from their mouth when the wind blows and it seems like they are almost praying for another Katrina.

There are people still suffering from Sandy up north but do you ever see the media reporting on them? Nope, no mass suffering so no news.
Closed Thread