Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #113

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe
Glad no one was hurt in Calif. Also, glad they have this one alive. Can't wait for his reasoning as to why he felt the need to do what he did.
Who cares what his reasons were - probably just a failed attempt at suicide by cop, by a idiot who can't do anything right. Glad he's alive but for no other reason than a good officer doesn't have to sit behind a desk while they clear him of wrong doing, or have to get over killing someone. Hope I never hear another word about this guy.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #114

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I can't help but thinking about all the Christmas presents that have already been bought and wrapped that will never be opened.

I can't imagine the added grief this reminder will bring on what should be such a joyous day.

My coworker sent out an email update. In part it described his wife going to the firehouse after the shooting to pick up their children, he talked about the parents that were there who could not find their children. I had to pause at that point before I could read anymore. How would you find the courage to move forward from that point?

Old 12-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #115

In Phx, one or more TV stations have something called "Season For Caring" or other programs where people can donate un-wrapped and maybe wrapped gifts for the less fortunate. It may ease the pain of those involved if they donate to a worthy cause or even drop them off at the police or fire station.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #116
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been watching and reading in the background. This has affected me with a beutiful daughter in the 1st grade. I appreciate how everyone here have not turned this into a political agenda.

On Facebook I have been disgusted by how so many made this their personal agenda and did not take into consideration the victims and their families. I made a few short posts on face book and want to share what I posted on Friday:

Everyone keeps offering up solutions to the recent tragedy. There isn't one.

Evil people exist. They always will.

We can do our best to prepare and protect against senseless violence.

To that end, we can't legislate away evil or violence.

All we can do is be vigilant in our convictions.

But now it is time to turn to prayer. We must turn to prayer for nothing else will help.

Lord please hold close and comfort the angels you have called to heaven, and care and comfort the loved ones left behind from this tragic and senseless event.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
Old 12-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #117

[Moderator Edit] Every case is different. Upbringing, background, lifestyle, etc. Even if they do figure out why, it's not like they are going to go on a witch hunt for everyone that fits the profile and put them in a mental hospital.

There are too many "experts" going on TV to make money or a name for themselves. Let it go. Don't continue to put ideas in the heads of wannabee's who want to make a name for themselves by one-up-manship.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwhit View Post
I am in Illinois right now and and by GOD still and always will be Proud to be an American!! We might have some problems but I will never apologize or be embarrassed to be an American. Maybe the Dixie Chicks will go down there and you embarrassed Americans can have a jolly damn good time! Statements like that pizzs me off!
x2
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
Old 12-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #119

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I thought this might apply as being close to the truth so I am reposting,

Chris Fisher

So True... Morgan Freeman's statement about these random shootings....

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care
center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research[moderator edit]."

Thanks mods.
Unfortunately, while the topics discussed in this "statement from Morgan Freeman" hold a lot of value and are good food for thought and discussion, this is not a statement from Morgan Freeman.

The writer of this "statement" posted it to his facebook wall, and in a reply to his own thread said something to the effect of "If I know the Internet, someone will attribute the quote to Morgan Freeman or Betty White and it'll go viral." ... this stems from the running joke online that everything sounds better in Morgan Freeman's voice.

This shows how easy it is to "get it wrong" in this new, instant media world we live in. Today "we" (loosely used word for internet users at large) are pushing around this statement, that with a quick google search of morgan freeman statement ct shooting returns 654,000 results!

On Friday in a media frenzy the wrong name of the shooter was released to the media and the media, facebook, twitter and the internet in general (or as so it appeared to me), began vilifying what appears to be an un-involved bystander - a family member yes, but as media and law enforcement have more recently stated, by all current accounts someone un-involved with the incident.

The mis-identification and subsequent release of photos, facebook pages, twitter accounts (of a different, completely unrelated person) was just one of quite a few errors in reporting from the major news networks, that trickled down to to local news networks and exploded on the internet. I for one, expect our televised news sources to do better.

Yes this was a horrific event, that everyone wanted to report on - but some were too quick to try to get a "scoop" on it or their rivals. It's an event that touches our family, friends and town closely as it happened to our "neighbors" - a community only 6 miles from our home. Indeed, A very sad day for our neighbors, our town, our state and nation.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #120

I've seen this kind of thing before. There are people out there who post or send an email with the sole purpose of seeing how soon it gets back to them or goes viral. The 15 minutes of fame mentality.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #121
KAS

Civility is rarely taught, objective right and wrong are rarely taught, how to bounce back from a loss is no longer taught, self responsibility is not taught, it is all given as relative and the result is a people who are losing their grasp on the values that made this country strong.

I am grieving what has happened in CT, as well as the stabbings of school children in China I read about the same day, and I am grieving the loss of so much freedom which appears to be resulting in NO increase in quality of life.

A healthy society requires that everyone learn from a young age to value the development of personal virtues. Who you ARE should be more important than what you have. I don't see that in the young people around me. They lack resiliency.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #122

TAZ said:
Everyone keeps offering up solutions to the recent tragedy. There isn't one.
Evil people exist. They always will.
We can do our best to prepare and protect against senseless violence.
To that end, we can't legislate away evil or violence.

Deterence and protection.
Treat the mentally challenged.
Perps will always get guns. We need to at least make it a gunfight, not just another tragedy.
And, yes, we cannot legislate it away. Never could.
But parenting is also a nifty tool.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 12-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #123

Monaco Owners Club
Watching CNN yesterday, they were touching on what has neen discussed here. Not talking about the perp, mentioning his name anymore ect. Didn't notice any mention of him the rest of the day. Maybe the meathead media is getting a clue?

Me thinks if any law is passed over this, the first one should be that absolutley no information is ever published about the perp.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #124

Forest River Owners Club
Society today is raising a generation of monsters. Too many families without fathers, without God, without religeous principles, without adult guidance and teaching, without good roll models and heros, and without a set of rules for young people and children.
[moderator edit]

As the cartoon "POGO" once said, " I have found the enemy, and he is us. "
Old 12-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #125

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I've seen this kind of thing before. There are people out there who post or send an email with the sole purpose of seeing how soon it gets back to them or goes viral. The 15 minutes of fame mentality.

I have been posting this around.. First, the most deadly School killing was not a shooting.. IT was a bombing, in Michigan, in 1927. You take away the guns, they start blowing thigns up.. Why they bother with guns (Not very efficient) when a bomb can kill dozens in one BOOM, I don't know. It's really stupid to use guns.

But then....... One headline said there was something wrong with the shooter.. You think? (Of course there was, he had no respect for life, and that's just plain WRONG!)

Now, What would happen if instead of plastering his name and face all over the news for a week, If instead of interviews with friends (if he has any) Neighbors, folks who know him and family (If any survive) The media decided to call him simply "The killer" and the state creamated him and dumped his ashes in a haz-mat land fill somewhere, not even an unmarked grave, Just a pile of noxious trash.

Think that make some future mass shooter re-consider? (Or better yet not consider in the first place).

Frankly I think that is too good for 'em but it's about the best we can do.

I'm really ticked he offed himself,, he needed to be arrested, alive, and properly interviewed for a long, long time.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #126

Agree with the above comments..
""Now, What would happen if instead of plastering his name and face all over the news for a week, If instead of interviews with friends (if he has any) Neighbors, folks who know him and family (If any survive) The media decided to call him simply "The killer" and the state creamated him and dumped his ashes in a haz-mat land fill somewhere, not even an unmarked grave, Just a pile of noxious trash.
Think that make some future mass shooter re-consider? (Or better yet not consider in the first place).
Frankly I think that is too good for 'em but it's about the best we can do.""

Going forward - just to make sure the Media and Legal Parasites can't sensationalize the sick criminal for days/weeks/months/years, if arrested, should be eliminated from society and face of the earth following day in the same manner that they used on their victimn in a private ceremony with the criminals immediate family forced to attend.