Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #127

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Bird View Post
Society today is raising a generation of monsters. Too many families without fathers, without God, without religeous principles, without adult guidance and teaching, without good roll models and heros, and without a set of rules for young people and children.

[moderator edit]

As the cartoon "POGO" once said, " I have found the enemy, and he is us. "
EXCELLANT!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #128

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Yes the media has done extensive reporting on the suffering people of hurricane Sandy.

This disdain for and blaming of the media is misguided and an example of blaming someone else for your own problem.

Deep down we all know what has changed and therefore what needs to be changed. To many heads buried in the sand. Seems as though more innocent people need to die first. Very sad.
The media reports what the public wants to see or hear. If I don't like what I'm watching, I change the channel.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
The media reports what the public wants to see or hear. If I don't like what I'm watching, I change the channel.
You sir are correct.

The funerals begin today. I just saw photographs of the two tiny victims who will be laid to rest, and my heart broke in two.

I hope people will stop to think about the shooter. He was only 20 years old and clearly disturbed. To my thinking, he was a victim as well. How are we failing our children? Such a sad day for America.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #130

There's many reasons and causes to all this crazyness. One thing that continually come to mind everytime I hear about somethink like this is that my life now and growing up is so much better than what my parents experianced. Same goes for my children, they had it better and easier than me. Each generation naturally wants it better for the next, but I think is has gotten too good and too easy. It's to the point that they get almost every thing they want. They don't experiance dissapointment or rejection. We hate to see them dissapointed and try to make it better. There not allowed to be teased or bullied. There can't be a looser in anything. There much less disapline, every think is too good. Small disapointments in life are very big issues for young adults, because every think has been too good and come too easy. God forbid, the house isn't cool or warm enough. Fridges & panteries fill with food, and they'll complaine theres nothing to eat.

I not sure where I'm going with this but I'll end it with this thought. My father had to go outside in the morning and chop wood, light a fire in the stove, go to the chicken coop to get a couple of eggs in order to eat something for breakfast. The work involved for my childred would be to select from a varaity of frozen items and pop it in the micro, and took it all for granted.

I'm not blaming anyone, just my observation of the situation, and I fear this will come full circle before this issue resolves itself, and somewhere along the way, one generation is going to have to suffer.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #131

You see high school kids driving brand new Camaros, Mustangs, Imports, etc because mommy bribed them with a new car if they promised to graduate. In 1965, the year I graduated, all I could afford was a `54 Ford that I paid for and bought the insurance for.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #132
Community Administrator

You had to be 18 to drive in my City in 1966 when I graduated HS, so I walked. The next year I bought a 61 Buick Le Sabre Conv. with my
own money and bought my Ins. policy too.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 12-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #133

Monaco Owners Club
I learned early in my childhood and school years, that there are consequences for my actions. I was bullied until the time came that I stood up for my self. If I didn't work at getting good grades in school I just didn't get them, and my feelings about it made me want to do better. If I wanted something I had to work for it.
That is one of the biggest things missing these days, responsibility.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #134

My dad said I could get a car, when I turned 16, if I had enough money for the car and a year's insurance... in advance. When that time came, he tried to renege on the promise. I won.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #135

National RV Owners Club
Hopefully this post is politically correct. This morning I wrote my News Station the following and sent it where perhaps it will help. Mods if something isn't correct please edit it and not the entire post. I took some out hoping this makes it.

Did you all ever consider that perhaps the news media carries these horrible stories about mass murders too far? Case in point, the California Mall shootings, the guy goes to the Mall, fires off several rounds, thank God he didn’t kill anyone. Where do you think he came up with the idea? Do you think if the news media would have reported the CT. tragedy only once and not even mentioned the killers name over and over or even to go as far as to put out detailed information on his life and to interview people who went to school with him to see just what kind of a guy he was, would the idiot in California have done what he did. I think not. The over reporting by all the news media gave that fool the thought to do what he did for attention.

Why do you have to go on and on on these type of things? Do you all do it hoping to out do the other news stations? Most of you are Mom’s and Dad’s, if you were in their place, how would feel seeing the picture and hearing about the one who killed your Child over and over all day, every day on the News and in the paper. Because of the constant reporting on this I would be willing to bet that in a year or so from now, a lot of people will remember the name of the killer, but how many will remember the names of the Children and the Teachers who lost their lives other then their loved ones.

Try this, I’m sure you all remember Charles Manson (sp?) can any of you name his victims, not just the one, but all of them. Although the News Media certainly didn’t mean it but they sure etched his name in peoples memory, unfortunately for the families of those he killed, no one remembers the names of the victims except their families.

I have quit watching the News so that I don’t have any memory of the name of this person who destroyed not only 26 lives, but a whole lot of other lives in the Nation by this senseless act. Even now I tear up thinking of the Parents, Grand Parents and families of the Children lost, I don’t know how they are going to cope with this. I can’t imagine walking into the living room and there under the Christmas Tree is a present that will never be.

I don’t think we’ll ever see an end to this type of senseless killings, but I believe we can do things to minimize them.

First off, put God back into our lives and especially in our Schools. Note that I said God, not Religion. After all this Country was founded on Christian principles.

Second, put discipline back in the hands of Parents and the Schools. I am a child of the Greatest Generation and was raised with the knowledge that if I misbehaved in school not only might I be paddled by the teacher but I sure as heck was going to get it at home also. I wasn’t abused, I was taught respect.

Third, Get rid of Violent Games and Movies, I’m willing to bet that if the homes of these killers were looked at you will find a lot of violent games. These types of games have no social redeeming values. All they do is desensitize the players with the endless killings to reach a higher level. Constant playing of these have got to affect people, especially those who may have problems to begin with. As a bonus to eliminating these types of games we just might see a reduction of overweight Children since they now would have to get their little behinds outside to play. This would also create interactions with other Children as they learn to play and compromise with each other. This way everyone can quit blaming the School lunches for overweight kids.

Lastly, The News Media should report these things, but it should be a one time report, not a constant trying to out do the other guy by digging into what the killer had for breakfast last week. GET MY DRIFT. I don’t think the name of the person who does it should be reported, let alone the digging into their background and reporting that, “oh, he was a nice guy’ “I didn’t expect that of him”. I don’t know how you as Parents can report on this without breaking down.

I’m going to send this to the President, my Representatives, post it on Facebook and every where else I can, hoping that someone will take it to heart and look into what I and I’m sure a lot of other folks are thinking to lessen the repeat of this senseless act.

Please note, I’m not looking for attention, I’m just offering my thoughts on what we can do to help prevent these things in the future and perhaps bring this Country back to where it should be.

Respectfully,

Anthony Shigouri
Old 12-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #136

Monaco Owners Club
foretold in the 60's by Paul Harvey - you've probably heard it -- If I Were the Devil by PAUL HARVEY
Old 12-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #137

We cannot rationalize insanity.

Politics cannot solve insanity.

Religion cannot solve insanity.

Only a rational society can hope to begin to approach a solution to insanity. We are not a rational society. We do not seem able to apply sensible solutions to very many of our problems even when a majority of us seems to agree on the solutions. We cannot blame our youth or any specific group. Each of these horrible act was performed by an insane individual (s). Perhaps more attention to mental health issues would help.

Let me throw this out for discussion -- When mammals become over populated we go insane. Look up a book (no longer in print) called "The Naked Ape". This is an antropologist's look at human beings as if we are just apes without hair all over. The author discribes a variety of experiments on mammals with increasing over population situations. In every case the mammals went insane.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #138

I again ask; what motivates the media to report every detail? Seriously, I haven't been able to figure out why they and the paparazzi find it necessary to swarm on people like they do. Is it the first one or the one who reports the most?

I'm sure there are some sic people out there who thrive on watching and reading every detail about this kind of carnage, but I would bet there are even more, who like me, either turn the TV off, or switch channels. Maybe you should also send your letter to some of their sponsors. If enough people quit watching, maybe they will re-evaluate where the money is going.

If you get a reply, Joe, please post it. I'm sure they will find a way to justify their zealous actions.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #139

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anthony, I was sad that you did not include reviewing the mental system in your letter.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #140
Moderator Emeritus

You listed a lot of great ideas sgtjoe. I certainly don't disagree with any of the principles you outlined.

My question is; who are the suggestions targeted at? By all means parents would do well to follow that advice but legislating these types of changes could lead to a country we're all not familiar with.

As for why the media reports as they do, IMHO it's pretty simple. Money. The save reason they do everything else. Apparently they are reporting in a way that their research indicates will give them the greatest number of viewers/readers. I can't see how their reporting could be legally restricted.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Closed Thread