Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #141
After HS, 10 yr USAF
1 mo. Semi-truck driver
6 mo. Street sweeper driver
16 yrs Letter Carrier, USPS - 15 yrs to go for retirment.

Then Full Time RVing.

RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #142
Carolina Campers
Started working in radio broadcasting while still in high school (best low paying job I ever had). Got married, ended up go to work in sales for my former father-in-laws pest control company, then went back to school for a degree in emergency medical science. Worked concurrently as a full time paramedic with a part time sales job for 12 years. Left EMS to work as a sales manager in retail for about 18 months. Hired on 13 years ago by a company that serves the long term care pharmacy industry, several different positions over the years, am now a senior director, sales & marketing. Wife is a disablity retired paramedic/RN.

1995 Thor Residency 3500
Amateur Radio W4KTL
ARRL Member
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #143

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Don't know. Haven't decided yet. Currently an Executive Assistant started out as a Storekeeper in the greatest Navy on the planet. Have done lots of things over the years: facility manager, analyst, fashion consultant, etc., still looking.
'10 Forest River Sierra 300RL 5th & 12 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - SK3 70-72 Go Navy!
Georgie-boxer mix, Skippy-Jack russell and Ollie.
Glassalley52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #144
Did a lot of different things over the years. Got a BA then to voc school so I could get a steady job. Was a small engine mechanic for thirteen yeas then went into the helicopter industry for a period maintaining the operational support equipment. That industry proved unstable so came back to small engines (against my better judgement) and now a customer service rep for a major distribution company. A year and a half to go until retirement and more time to travel with the fiver.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #145
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since college, I have worked as a mechanical engineer, mostly in the industrial refrigeration field. I worked in service, engineering and sales. A brief stint as a divisional manager and decided managing all of the cry babies was not as much fun as sales engineering.

Currently working as a contractor for a large chemical company working on various equipment and packages on new and revamp projects.

July of 2013, I plant to drop the work routine...if not sooner for my sanity.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #146
Electronics Engineer (Microwave/Radio Systems with responsibilities in all other types of communications devices for ther Air Force), slowly sliding over toward Communications Manager in IT Department (mostly data comm and cell phone systems for the Corps of Eng). After I retired, they did away with the position since systems engineers weren't needed anymore. But they paid me for 38 years, so I'm happy. Oh, there was one early year in Flight Test data reduction at Lockheed, but that was fill work between Ir Force CS assignments.
Ken, Judy, and the Angels--2005 Fleetwood Southwind--2008 Cargo Trailer--2003 EZGO Golf Cart
Retired and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #147

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
3 days out of HS...off to Lackland AFB for 6 year USAF enlistment. 1.5 years in radio relay which included a lovely deployment to Israel during the Yom Kippur War to provide comm support between Tel Aviv and the Pentagon for war supplies. Got back, and they told me too many folks in my career field so ether cross train or find a mountain top in Turkey. Cross trained to Air Traffic Control (ATC), suckered myself into being a Combat Controller. 6 lovely weeks in Ft. Benning learning the fine art of exiting an airborne aircraft. During a jump after Ft. Benning, busted up a knee and was DQed from combat jumps and spent about 4 years as an active duty ATC at Selfridge, ANGB, MI.

Got too heavy, so couldn't re-enlist. Also knew that there was trouble on the horizon for ATC and waited for the dust to settle...got settled when PATCO struck and now they need me.

For that last 30 years been ATC from controller to manager. Got fatter. Lost my medical 3 years ago but held a staff position so still in the tower.

Last October, had weight loss surgery...I'M HEALTHY!!! Was afraid I would die behind my desk but now I got this crazy idea that when I retire (2-3 years from now) I wanted to REALLY LIVE so RV world...hear I am.

ATC has been the greatest adventure I could have asked for.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #148
app / Internet developer
Thor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #149
21 Years US Navy 1st class Interior Communication Electrician Retired 2003. Now working for 9 Years as a Engineering Technician working on Submarines and Surface ships at the Pearl Harbor Naval Ship Yard Hawaii. Plan to retire back to US Main Land US in 5 years to Rv. Move to Wyoming or S.Dakota to start with and see where it takes me to.
Scott Stielow IC1(SW) USN Retired
Scotty14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #150
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm still a working stiff.

I am a Business Intermediary - we sell businesses throughout southern California - doing valuations and facilitating financing for the purchase of businesses as well expansion of businesses.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #151

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I got a degree in communications and theater back in the late 70's, worked in the college radio station and worked as an intern for a commercial station. After a few career detours that included managing a movie theater and being a teacher, along with a first marriage that ended after two years I signed up for Uncle Sam's Flying Club (Air Force) and had a career in public affairs and with Armed Forces Radio and Television. I was a radio host and a television news reporter, and worked in television master control and satellite operations in places from Turkey to Spain to Germany and The Netherlands, then my health went bad and I was medically retired.

I haven't had a full time job since 1996 when the Air Force handed me my walking papers. It was a job I would have gladly done for free, I saw a lot of the world, met some interesting people, including celebrities such as Charlie Daniels, Tony Curtis, and Alex Trebeck, and military leaders like General Colin Powell and General John Shalikashvili.

Now the DW and I are living full time in our RV quite by accident, but we may be on to something here. We have the household goods in storage for now, if we can find a piece of land with a small house or can build a small building, we might see the USA and use Tennessee as our home base. We've already toured Europe on the military plan.

While I have not adjusted well to early retirement, being retired instead of kicked out on my arse is something I am grateful for. I see that the wife and I, along with our dogs and cats, are fortunate to have a roof over our heads, even if it is only 300 square feet. There are folks I see every day that are living in worse circumstances. Right now I have a view out my living room window that people pay millions for, and I'm enjoying it for three pictures of Ben Franklin a month.

All in all, things aren't bad and could be worse.
SSgt. Richard L Ray, USAF (Retired) - Laura L Ray
Our second home is a vintage 1995 Jayco Eagle 277RB 'The Love Shack"
towed by a 2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab short bed "The Green Goblin"

W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #152
Solo Rvers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Graduated high school in 1972, went to work as waitress, promoted to night manager, then to training team traveling the country training managers, cooks and waitresses for restaurant chain no longer in business. Moved back to Ft Worth from Indianapolis and went to work in accounting at manufacturing facility. After 10 years went to work as Full Charge Bookkeeper for insurance Managing General Agency. From there went to 2 other insurance Managing General Agencies as Accounting Manager. Then worked for 19 years as Accounting Manager/CFO for one of the largest insurance agencies in Texas and Southwest. A little over a year ago, had to quit work to become full-time caregiver to DH, who is disabled and in poor health. Recently put in hospice as doctor says he probably will not live another 6 months. Have now started Internet marketing with my websites I have been building. Plan on going full-time solo sometime in the future and want to be able to make a living through my sites, which can be done from anywhere as long as I have Internet service.
Dawn - Member SKP
Luke-Schnauzer, Rascal-Schnauzer & Belle-Yorkie
2012 Coachmen Encounter towing 2010 Honda FIT
Dawn309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #153
This is an incredibly revealing thread. We have all works in as many jobs and positions as one can imagine. Mostly been happy or at least contented to be working. Whie I tend to live in the moment and consider y'all RVers, there are full lives out there. Thanks for opening my eyes and revealing something more of your past.
Ken, Judy, and the Angels--2005 Fleetwood Southwind--2008 Cargo Trailer--2003 EZGO Golf Cart
Retired and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #154
Went to university fresh out of high school at 18 and had a poor start being too young and immature and away from home. Nuf said. Worked for a couple years and then took teacher training and taught elementary school for 31 years. Retired at 54 and got bored so for a couple years I helped a friend run a motel/restaurant/bar complex. Decided the motel part was OK and for the last nine years I have my own motel. Now I am ready to fully retire and get serious about using the coach but this downturn in the economy might keep me tied down for a few years yet.

98 Beaver Monterey, 3126 Cat
2010 Toyota Matrix on dolly
beachboy27 is offline   Reply With Quote