Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #155
Tiffin Owners Club
I graduated High School in 1965 and went to work for kmart. That September I I had the choice of going to college or getting drafted or enlisting. I chose the latter and since I was tired of schoo at the time. Dad had spent 20 years in the navy and convinced me that the navy would probably be a better choice than the marines, good advice. Spent 4 years in the navy as an electronics technician on an aircraft carrier. Loved it. Came home and got a job as a copy machine repairman. Moved on to driving a delivery truck to the docks in NY. Moved on and went to air conditioning school and moved to Miami. AC fell though and I worked as a short order cook for a few months until my friend got me a job as a wrecker driver for a couple of years. Moved on to work at installing the trade shows in the hotels and convention center. Then I went into business with my brother in law installing fences. My wife at the time convinced me that I should find a job with a future and benefits. I drove a cab for part of the time while I was in Nursing school and worked as a nurses aid for two years until I graduated. I have been an RN for 35 years now and will retire June 8. June 10 we are leaving on a 2 1/2 month tour around the country in our class A visiting friends and catching some of the highlights. Its been a heck of a ride and I am definitely looking forward to the next episode.

Steve & Barbara & Annie the dog. Recently retired and on the road...
2011 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA. 2008 Smart car.
calsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #156
Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
First job at 15 1/2 was working at a gas station. The old kind. I pumped gas, washed windows, checked oil. Money was in my pocket and I made change in my head.

Graduated in '77. Went to tech school for drafting and worked part time at JC Penney's in their auto department. Yes, in 1977 they still had their auto centers. Tires, batteries, tune-ups, brakes, etc. Yep, we did it all. Changed a LOT of tires.

1 year in tech school and off to my first full time job. Drafting for a Consulting Engineering firm doing civil work. Lots of ink on mylar drafting. Got married.

Moved to Phoenis, AZ a few years later and went to work for a larger firm, doing the same type of work. Ended up changing firms and got into structural drafting.

Along came computers and AutoCAD software. I took to it lke a fish to water. Convinced the firm to do their first big job in AutoCAD and it went great. Stayed in Phoenix for about 10 years. Lost the first wife and found a second one.

Been doing the same work for 33 years now. Several job changes, all by my choice. Latest job now for 14 years and still going great. Still have the second wife, see is a keeper.

I have drawn plans for bridges, sewer plants, houses, hotels, office buildings, airport terminals, prisons, theaters, performing arts building and too many others to mention.

Love my work, like my job.

Mike and Carla
1998 42' Overland Larado Diesel Pusher
On the road - here and there - Full Timing
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #157
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife and I were a husband and wife team on private yachts. I am a licensed Captain and my wife a good chief. On some boats we were the crew.
Bob & Rita Bazley, the pups Tia & Kali ( shi-poohs)
97 Dolphin 36'
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #158
Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Corpsman in the navy for six years, studied X-ray technology and licensed in NY 1968-1972. Went to Physicians Assistant school at Stonybrook, NY, graduated 1974, worked in Internal Medicine for 35 years. Now retired and seeing the country at leisure. We have met a lot of GREAT people at cg's.
henryn,2017 thor Freedom Elite 23H, Smithfield NC
Hank, and Murphy( our four legged little guy)
henryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #159
Carolina Campers
Have been in the offset printing industry for over 20 years. Currently running a 10 color Komori Super Perfector. Also teach Martial Arts, and hand gun/carbine classes. Use to shoot drag racing photography also.
Shane & Kelly
2011 Skyline Nomad
2002 Acura MDX
Stick Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #160
31 years as a software designer/developer for a large corporation. DW was a Cost Accountant.
2006 Travel Supreme Select 45DL24
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 35" tires, 4" lift
jeeprubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #161
I retired as a Lt. Col from the USAF 6 years ago, currently own some transportation and storage companies, Diane retired from the FL court system and currently is a stay at home Mom to our Wheaten's.
J.Chet USAF LTC Retired
Teddy & Bella (Soft Coated Wheaten's)
Jchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #162
Fleetwood Owners Club
Broadcast television for fourteen years and television and feature film post production engineering for the last 31 years. Love the business, best part is working with very intelligent and accepting people.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:27 AM   #163

Ford Super Duty Owner
Co. founder and currently CEO. GREAT retirement job.
Challenger Owners Club
2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune with 2014 Ford Fiesta behind us & 385 FastTrack kayak inside.
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #164
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
1968 & 1969 Worked at California Canners and Growers Can Seamer Operator, this was in between Junior & Senior year in high school.
After graduation in 1969 went to work for FMC (Food Machinery Corporation) John Bean Division in San Jose California. In the 1970's John Bean became Airline Equipment Division, Positions held: Assembler, Stores and Record Clerk, Product Test Person, and Product Test Leadman.
While working for FMC in 1970 I was Drafted in the U.S. Army, Basic training at Fort Ord California, duty station Fort Riley Kansas 1/7 Field Artillery of the 1st Infantry Division. While there went on Reforger 2 & 3 in Germany. OJT on a five ton wrecker while on Reforger 2, after back from Germany my Warrant officer sent me to Fort Sill Oklahoma U.S. Army Field Artillery School, Track Vehicle Mechanic Course. After school back to Fort Riley and the Division left for Reforger 3. After discharge went back to work for FMC (had been on a military leave of absence)
In 1983 Airline Equipment Division was moved to Florida, & if we stayed and help close the plant, we would get jobs next door at FMC Ordnance Division, name later changed to United Defense. While there one of the main jobs that I did was to run in the packs (completed engine & transmission assemblies) then install the pack in the Bradley & drive it off the line. In 1995 I left FMC as they were moving most all the work to York Pennsylvania.
1995-98 went to work KLA Instruments as a temp in their WISARD Engineering doing prototype assembly and cable & harness builds.
1999-Dec. 2002 worked as a temp at KLA-Tencor as prototype assembler / cable designer in WISARD Engineering.
2003 Retired
cheviman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #165
Evergreen Owners Club
All the normal summer jobs during high school and college. After college, Police officer, Firefighter, then 27 years in prison (going home every night) retiring in 2009. Now driving school bus and remodling houses for things to do.
2015 Evergreen Bayhill

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #166
Started turning wrenches on Cummins at 14 in 1956. Dad was a owner operator. Inlisted in Air Force, trained as a missile system mechanic. Two years of training. The foundation of my career. Several years as a apprentice mechanic on heavy trucks to D-9s. Worked for LA County a a fleet mechanic, supervisor and fleet superintendent for 25 years. Started a side business of commercial beekeeping in 1987. Retired LA County in 1997 at 56 yrs old. Retired from bees in 2004 at 63. Too much work and a bad back. Hence name (oldbeek)
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:20 AM   #167
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After college and the military I entered into law enforcement in 1957 and retired in 1988. Did the usual patrol officer and patrol sgt. routine and then transferred into the detective division and spent some 25 years primarily working juvenile cases such as homicide, sex, missing persons, the routine life of a cop in a middle sized city in a large metropolitan area.

Started camping with two sleeping bags on the ground and now do it in a 40 foot pusher. Wife too ill to go full timing, but have seen most of US through my wind shield.

Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:02 AM   #168
32 Years FEDEX now retired

Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote