Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2012, 05:02 AM   #169

Myself, I retired from the Army in 2002 after spending 23 years in service. First 4 years were spent as a Topographic Map Maker, then changed my speciality to Nuclear, Biological, Chemical Reconnaissance.

DW, retired from the Army in 2004 after almost 25 years in service. She joined as a Military Police Officer. Her last years were spent in Administration and HR.
After retirement she worked as a Flight Attendant for Horizon Airlines for a short time. After leaving the airlines she opened her own Coffee Shop which she closed after problems with her landlord.

We both started working full-time for the US Postal Service where we met in 2007. Currently both still with the USPS. Last November we drove the RV to Las Vegas where we were married by Elvis Presley on 11-11-11
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #170

Former Manufacturing Maintenance Manager; specialties were Plant Automation and Robotics, Custom Hydraulics and Pneumatics.....also former licensed South Carolina Electrical Contractor (retired).

Now, I work on computers and build websites for a "money making hobby"
scgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #171

I am a retired flight paramedic that can't wait to travel!
flightmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #172

Spent 33 years with the Los Angeles Police Department (last 20 as a sergeant). Retired awhile ago now just waiting for the spouse to retire in 4 years so we can sell the house and go full time. She was a 20 year RN MICN at Los Angeles area E/R Trauma Centers, now a Nurse Educator for the FD. Photo is Hollywood Division circa 1978 during the good old days.

Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #173

As for me, 4 years military, then 30 years industrial HVAC working for York factory service in Georgia, Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 72. Retired after motorcycle wreck with disability.
puddintang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #174

Monaco Owners Club
First 4 years of my working life I was a flight instructor, corporate pilot and charter pilot. I then spent 3 years as an airline pilot before being away from home so much sucked all the enjoyment out of it. Career change to law enforcement. Spent first 3 years on patrol. The last 2 I have specialized in accident investigation/reconstruction and impaired driving enforcement. Still have a long way to go (hopefully!) in the timeline of life.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #175

I alternated jobs. Switching back and forth between heavy construction, layout, inspection, field engineering with barbering. Not too big of a transition.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #176

Veterinary surgical assistant. I was lucky enough to retire at the age of 50.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #177
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, very very interesting thread - thanks Okmunky for starting this!
Now for my side of the story which is not as exciting as for the majority of the posters here. Held a variety of jobs after high school, then apprenticed as a Merchant Marine deck officer, joined the US Navy, found out it was fun travelling and seeing all those exotic places and stayed in for 22 years, retiring in 1996. Volunteered for the American Cancer Society for a couple of years, then went back to work a Defense Contractor until finally calling it quits in 2007. Loved it but having itchy feet (love to travel), gets bored sometimes at home since DW still working (35 yrs as an RN).
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom View Post
Wow, very very interesting thread - thanks Okmunky for starting this!
I totally agree with Rom, very interesting thread, probably the first with this many pages that I read all the way through. All I can say is when I start traveling full-time, I'd like to caravan with some of you mechanics

Thanks for your service to all the Military and Law Enforcement Officers
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #179

Hey Bullitt,
My DH knows you...Ed Wheelis, retired after 35 1/2 yrs with LAPD..he remembers you! And remembered that your wife was a nurse..he wants to know if she still bakes cakes! Small world, huh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Spent 33 years with the Los Angeles Police Department (last 20 as a sergeant). Retired awhile ago now just waiting for the spouse to retire in 4 years so we can sell the house and go full time. She was a 20 year RN MICN at Los Angeles area E/R Trauma Centers, now a Nurse Educator for the FD. Photo is Hollywood Division circa 1978 during the good old days.

carolanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #180

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Occupations have included, Youth Care Worker, then supervisor, transitioned to computers after some years and spent the next 20 working as an independent consultant and Computer Support Engineer. Have stepped back recently to manage some family matters but still dabble. DW is a registered social worker and victim's assistance worker.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:19 AM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
The diversity of this group never ceases to amaze me. I think it would be fun to know how you earn(ed) a living. The wealth of knowledge of this group is astounding! I'll start --

I have been a chairside dental assistant, a civilian dental therapy assistant for the US Army (dentist did the drilling, we did the filling), a mom, an Optical shop owner, a dispensing Optician for Sears, a Dental Assisting School instructor, a 7-11 store manager, an infant daycare provider, a home builder (my own), a foster parent for kids with special needs, and a personal assistant/monkey nanny for a very busy female executive. I retired in May 2011 after working for 42 years My job now is driving my motorhome, caring for my furkids and seeing this marvelous counrty. The best job, for sure!

Hmmms, seems like I was destined to roam the country as a full-timer. I get bored easily and enjoy learning and trying new things. Who knows what will be next? An adventure for sure!
I spent 9 years in the consumer finance business, another 20 years in auto & motorcycle sales. In 1985 I worked in sales at a motorcycle dealership. It was located on I-70, St Charles, Mo. I kept seeing those big trucks going by and could not stand it any more. I bought an 18 wheeler and hit the road for the next 24 years. The song ways "I have been everywhere" fits me. All 48 states, plus Alaska, 8 Provinces of Canada and Mexico. I drove that same truck 24 years and 3,145,000 miles. Decided to retire when freight got slow in 6-09. I had met the love of my life 8-08 and remaried at age 70, retired at 71, sold my trruck and 10 days latter bought a diesel pusher. I must have a lot of wanderlust in my soul because I am always ready to travel somewhere. After being a cross coucntry trucker, I have to giggle a little when RV's talk about there 10 year old RV high mileage motorhome with 70,000 miles best wishes, old trucker
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:30 AM   #182

I have worked on aircraft engines for a major engine supplier for nearly 20 years. During this same time I have owned my own sign business, but sold it in the spring of 2011. My wife and I have had fifth wheels in the past, but had always dreamed of a DP. Soooo after selling the business we bought one. Love it and we are ready to travel. Our son attends West Point so we are making trips out to the east coast a lot.
Mooseguy is offline   Reply With Quote