Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
what is the best supmental health insurance ?

I don't know if this is the right place. what do you use as a seplmental unsurance?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ryegal,
If you are talking about Medicare Supplemental Insurance then there is no best plan. The same goes for HMO, PPOs, etc.. that take the place of Medicare.

My wife just went through this. It was 2 months of activity that is worse than Federal Income Tax. The only benefit is when I need to make the same decision she did all the hard work (she is older than me) .

My suggestion is you:
1. gather up all your prescriptions
2. determine if you want to pay more for a monthly premium that Medicare will pay, or not.
3. Determine if you want coverage only around your stick house or anywhere in the country.
4. You know your general health and any conditions that require care on a regular basis.

Make a list of questions to ask. Get on the phone and call what you consider the "Brand Names". Ask your questions and see which plan "bubbles up" to the top of the list.

For my wife, she choose a PPO through United Health Care. This was the same company that administered the health plan for my employer.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #3

For hospitalisation (Part B) we use the AARP supplemenatry program and are quite happy with it. I recently had an angioplasty procedure, that cost a total of over $35,000 and we weren't out of pocket for any of it. AARP even pays the Medicare deducible. Premium for both DW and me is $329 a month.

For drug coverage (Part D) we're with Humana WalMart for a second year. The main reason is that it's the only plan we found that covers DW's Welchol cholesterol medication. Monthly premkume is about $15 for each of us.

Medicare isn't the greatest program in the world, but we've made it work for us with the above supplementaries.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with what Gary posted, no one play fits all. We also have AARP / United healthcare.

Also agree that this was the single most aggravating and nerv racking process I have ever been through. Guess that's what happens when the gov'ment get involved. They don't have to go through it or things would change.

OK off my soapbox now.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #5

I thought it was going to be Obama Care. How long do we have to wait?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #6

IMHO

The best piece of free advice I can give to anyone 64+ and being bombarded by the post office with countless pieces of supplemental and drug coverage offers is to FIND AN INDEPENDENT INSURANCE REPRESENTATIVE WHO CAN OFFER YOU A POLICY FROM 3 -5 SEPARATE INSURANCE COMPANIES (not one of the two policies that their ONLY insurance company has).

He/she will not say theirs is the absolute best because it's the only one or two they can sell you. He/she will have numerous policies from numerous companies to recommend after listening to your needs (based on your health and meds)
Old 02-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
All the above discussions on supplemental policies is all well and good, if you are accepted, and can afford the premiums charged for the coverage. You will run into problems finding an insurer if you have any pre-existing medical conditions. I had that problem this year after switching back to Medicare from a PPO due to moving from another state.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker
All the above discussions on supplemental policies is all well and good, if you are accepted, and can afford the premiums charged for the coverage. You will run into problems finding an insurer if you have any pre-existing medical conditions. I had that problem this year after switching back to Medicare from a PPO due to moving from another state.
I didn't realize that Medicare and supplimentals were subject to pre- existing conditions. I'm not on medicare yet.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Medicare isn't subject to pre-existing conditions, supplemental insurance is in most cases. It is available, just pretty "spendy" in most cases.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
IC2

Supplemental health coverage and its cost as well as coverage depends on the state of residence. My supplemental insurance, and in NY State runs just over $100/month with dental. While AARP may offer several different plans and mostly through United, they may not be your best choice where YOU live. For me, with no health concerns to date, it was probably the worst coverage. Get on line, take a look at what your state has in the way of offerings and do a spread sheet listing each of the plans - you may find that much of the 'dog' work is already done - the plans are usually listed as A through J with the various coverages, exclusions and costs. Asking what your friend in another state has is not an accurate way to what you need. For me - I probably spent 3 months on and off deciding what was best. My wife, about the same, but she does have some health issues and her plan and company are different then mine - but the cost, not much variation from mine.

Let's just take a very current case - mine and today. I have sinusitus (a mild infection), so I went to the local urgent care. The doctor there gave me almost as full exam as my yearly physical with my PCP. I walked out of the door $10 bucks poorer and with 2 prescriptions. Had them filled and they were $7 bucks each at the Rite-Aid, and probably, had I wanted to wait hours, probably would have been half of that at Wally World but possibly for drugs manufactured in a 3rd world country I never want to visit . It wasn't free, but for sure I'm able to afford $24 for a doctor's office visit and two antibiotics (Obamacare, and the required paperwork has driven the office visit from $5 to $10 - but that subject is grist for another thread)
Old 02-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #11

I have about 9 months before I'll turn 65. I don't know anything about Medicare supplements. I'm in good health. The only issue I have is a hiatal hernia for which I take one over the counter, Mexican, Priolsec per day. I'm in the gym twice a day at least 5 days a week and have a reasonably good diet. Since some of you make comments about Obama Care. The only reason I have insurance currently is because of Obama care. There is pool for people with preexisting conditions! So I'm one of those who say Thank You for letting me buy my own health insurance!

Financially I'm in decent shape. I do all my dentist work in Mexico so I have no need for dental coverage. I can afford some emergency expenses or deductibles. My doctor expenses for the last few years have only been for check ups. Any opinion as to what kind of supplement insurance I might need? Since I've already been in the scary situation of not being able to obtain health insurance I am concerned about comments that I might not be able to get it if I don't buy it now. I thought Obama Care made it so that insurance companies could not do that any more? Then again that might not start for another year?

Thanks for your help, I've been putting off doing anything but I know I'm going to have to in the near future!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegascouple View Post
I have about 9 months before I'll turn 65. I don't know anything about Medicare supplements. I'm in good health. The only issue I have is a hiatal hernia for which I take one over the counter, Mexican, Priolsec per day. I'm in the gym twice a day at least 5 days a week and have a reasonably good diet. Since some of you make comments about Obama Care. The only reason I have insurance currently is because of Obama care. There is pool for people with preexisting conditions! So I'm one of those who say Thank You for letting me buy my own health insurance!

Financially I'm in decent shape. I do all my dentist work in Mexico so I have no need for dental coverage. I can afford some emergency expenses or deductibles. My doctor expenses for the last few years have only been for check ups. Any opinion as to what kind of supplement insurance I might need? Since I've already been in the scary situation of not being able to obtain health insurance I am concerned about comments that I might not be able to get it if I don't buy it now. I thought Obama Care made it so that insurance companies could not do that any more? Then again that might not start for another year?

Thanks for your help, I've been putting off doing anything but I know I'm going to have to in the near future!
You have a 6 month open window that there is NO UNDERWRITING for ANY health conditions, and if you have had insurance for at least 6 months with no break in coverage from a plan that is considered "creditable coverage," then they can't even exclude "pre-existing conditions".

You just need to decide whether you want to go with a Medigap policy or a Medicare Advantage plan. Both programs have their upside and their downside. You will need to look at your life style and decide which is the best for you.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have Humana Gold Plus. Monthly Premium is $125.00 that includes vision, Dental and RX. I have mail order RX and use Generic drugs so I don't have to pay anything for them. I had Gallbladder out and total cost was $100.00
Old 02-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would recommend going to www.medicare.gov and check out the 'Find Plans' links. This will allow you to compare the features and costs of all of the various supplemental, health, and drug plans available to you.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance