RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #1

What is the black stuff that collects on windshields, tables ect in S Florida?

When we are in the Keys or South Florida we find that a black substance collects on our toad's windshield and rear window along with the glass table top and anything else flat and near level. It can collect overnight if there is dew but if it is windy it does not. I wipe them with a towel while the dew is still on them and the towel gets black. The table is under some cover and although the dew does not get on it the black collects there within a few days and needs to be wiped with a wet cloth.It also gets on windowsills. It does not get on the RV windshield because it is nearly vertical but it collects on the roof and runs down when it rains. I considered mold but overnight? I considered fine particulates from the Southern coal burning power plants. We don't stay near US1 so it isn't tire dust and diesel soot. It was the same in North Palm Beach but I chalked it up to pollution. Others have noticed it too. Any ideas? I can't figure out who to ask either. Must be some place that knows about such things.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2018, 02:48 AM   #2

Probably soot from the suger cane burning.
They burn it everywhere in south FL.

Just last week, coming east from Lake Okeechobee, they were burning along the side of the road. 30 ft flames and I could feel the heat in the RV.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Probably soot from the suger cane burning.
They burn it everywhere in south FL.

Just last week, coming east from Lake Okeechobee, they were burning along the side of the road. 30 ft flames and I could feel the heat in the RV.

That is a very good suggestion. I've seen it too.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:47 PM   #4

Hi, Kahoona~

In the Keys, if it’s grey and kinda greasy, it’s probably a combination of coral dust and very humid salt air. When I first moved here I used to love leaving the windows open 9 months a year but eventually got so tired of cleaning this stuff off my floors (or any horizontal surface) that it’s pretty much always a/c on now. And NO shoes indoors!

Dee
deemeehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you're in LA around or next to LAX it's soot from the jet fuel. Could also be part of it in FL. Our Son and family live there and it permeates the entire house.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #6
Commercial Member

its probably related to the palmetto bugs. (COCKROACHES)
in reality, its just residue from all the human activity in world. it goes where the wind goes.
we get a lot of smoke and ash from the california fires. its just a reminder of the why we dont live there.
my sympathy goes out to those who lost everything in the monstrous fires.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:50 PM   #7

Hmmmmm…..we have been in the Cape Coral area (SW Florida) since Oct. 31st and haven't experienced anything like that.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:25 PM   #8

The suger cane fields are in central south Florida. Around Lake O.

The prevailing winds probably don't blow the stuff your way.

Here is an article about it.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/p...930-story.html
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:02 PM   #9
tcg

I know it's a different location but...

All this summer in Michigan we were plagued with scaly maple disease. It's a tiny little bug that infects silver maples. My tree got it.

Every morning the vehicles and everything else were covered with what you described. It was the insects excrement.

It cost me 1,800 bucks to spray and prune my 55 year old tree.

No idea what's causing your issue but I would never have thought bugs could do that, especially bugs that you couldn't see unless you knew what to look for.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
I know it's a different location but...

All this summer in Michigan we were plagued with scaly maple disease. It's a tiny little bug that infects silver maples. My tree got it.

Every morning the vehicles and everything else were covered with what you described. It was the insects excrement.

It cost me 1,800 bucks to spray and prune my 55 year old tree.

No idea what's causing your issue but I would never have thought bugs could do that, especially bugs that you couldn't see unless you knew what to look for.
That is amazing! We get a similar thing with the Plumerias out back. The aphids excrete a sweet mess that makes mold and mildew grow!.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmrad View Post
HmmmmmÖ..we have been in the Cape Coral area (SW Florida) since Oct. 31st and haven't experienced anything like that.
We saw it in the Palm Beach area when we stayed there and have always seen it in the Keys, which is home base for us. Right now ir is cool, dry and windy and there is no buildup. Seems to happen when it is humis and a heavy dew falls. The chairs on the 2nd floor screen porch are covered in it too.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
its probably related to the palmetto bugs. (COCKROACHES)
in reality, its just residue from all the human activity in world. it goes where the wind goes.
we get a lot of smoke and ash from the california fires. its just a reminder of the why we dont live there.
my sympathy goes out to those who lost everything in the monstrous fires.
My sympathy to them also, not to mention the folks in the FL panhandle. Their plight seems to have dropped below the radar. Some friends of mine have tried to run a relief and work trip but were rebuffed by officials. We are going to try again in February. Being from the impacted area of the Keys we know what it is like.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #13

In the end I am beginning to think that it is all of the above depending on how the wind blows. Then the wind blows salt mist and the humidity soaks everything when the dew falls and it mildews. Small price to pay for living in the middle of the blue water with the palms swaying and the balmy weather.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:48 AM   #14

Cremation ashes? Lots of old folks die down there.

NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, windshield