Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What is the difference

between:

Facebook and IRV2?

Facebook: "A place where purposeless information is shared with friends you don't know."

(That is my bumper sticker)

And your thoughts are?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been online in assorted forums since back before the internet was known as the internet and I can tell you that "A place where purposeless information is shared with friends you don't know." line has always applied to every community.

However with Facebook and Twitter.. It applies in spades as they say.

Here, yes, we get some of that (This thread for example) but we also get a lot of USEFUL information such as how to fix this or that issue with our RV's. Very handy.

Thanks to a forum (Not this specific one but one like it) I was directed to the best replacement part for a defective furnace, I got the part (A fraction of the cost of the OEM) and gave it the "once over" Visually. Very very well built (Wish I could say that about the OEM) and, it appears, protected against what I think killed the original.

I consider that VERY useful information.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
This place is much more useful than Facebook. More friendly, too.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #4

I deactivated my Facebook account 1 1/2 yrs. ago. I found it to be the most useless thing I've ever seen. I don't miss it one bit. This forum (and others) can have useless moments for sure, but the informative and humor-filled moments far outweigh them.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
About the only thing I use facebook for is about once a month I'll look to see what photos our kids & grandkids (in Florida, Maine & California) have added. Other than that it doesn't do anything for me.

I do receive good suggestions and/or information on IRV2. But like other sites sometimes information is short on facts and long on opinions but I get to make up my mind what to do and what to read or ignore. I do review IRV2 at least once a day and sometimes more often.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #6

I thought about posting a google search link in response like so many seem to do...like I don't know how to use google. In my opinion that's the perfect example of useless on this and other forums.

I deleted my FB acct about 2 years ago. FB is person centric where this and other forums are topic centric. I don't care much to follow sombodys life. I do like following the forum topics that interest me. It really let's us take advantage of each others experiences.

While I'm at it...another useless practice on the forums: you ask a question, and you get a response like "well, I'v never been there or done that but....."

All in all, this is an awesome place to get good info.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There's a BIG difference in my house.

My DW is on FB and I'm not.
I'm on iRV2 and DW is not.

I keep the RV running and she keeps us up to date on everyone elses buisness
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I also deactivated my FB account awhile back.... Not worth the time or effort.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Facebook?

Yes, I have a facebook acct find that it keeps me informed on what some friends and relatives want people to know. I also learn about who of my co-workers has died sort of like an electronic obituary page. I used to wonder at my Mother's interest in the obits and guess what I'm following in her foot steps for the most part it is a harmless waste of time.
There are times days go by till I check on what has been posted. Most of the time it is just barely more interesting than watching paint dry
Old 07-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #10

Well, I LOVE my Facebook account........I don't have to go very far to keep up with our 5 kids and 14 grandkids who are spread across the country (and right now, the world), and know what is happening in their lives on an, almost, day-to-day basis. Not quite as good as having them living down the street, but a lot better than what it was like when they first started moving out, and I didn't even have a computer. Of course, for whatever reason, I was TOTALLY unprepared, emotionally, for them to leave.......it NEVER occured to me that they would all end up living in different cities, let alone different states. So anything that allows me to 'lurk' in their lives (without even bothering them!) is a good thing.
I also love this Forum, for some of the same reasons! Though we don't post very often (I expect to be more actively involved when we get to a point where we are able to travel more), I thoroughly enjoy reading about everyone elses travel tips, renos, fixes, how-tos, favorite and not so favorite destinations, etc. and thus RVing vicariously through this venue.
Thank you IRV2!
Marilynn (the Mom and Nana)
MoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #11

If you have a FaceBook account you might want to see this:

Old 07-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I never started a facebook account, and don't think I ever will. The wife has one to keep up with whats going on with the gradchildren and she gets their pictures on there.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #13

I have facebook on my spam setting. I don't have irv2 on my spam setting.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #14

Whats useless to some, may not be for others.

People visit sites for diffrent reasons, sometimes its to get info, sometimes for a laugh, sometimes for a bit of debate, sometimes to make sure they're not alone in this boat & sometimes just to shoot the you know what.